steeda clutch spring - don't waste your $$ - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
steeda clutch spring - don't waste your $$

so i bought the steeda clutch spring because their marketing would lead you to believe that it works the same on the v6 as it does the gt... but clearly they're really only meant for the gt. apparently the gt clutch spring is much heavier than the v6, something steeda won't tell you, and you won't find out unless a few people on these forums tell you (because how would we have access to a gt as a v6 owner to check?) but it was ten bucks (18 after shipping... seriously, 8 dollar shipping? ripoff.) so i figured id try it.

well i finally got it in, and it's identical to the stock v6 spring. no difference. feels the same. love how you can find specs all over about the gt spring and how it's almost 200lbs of force on it, but nowhere can you find the v6 spring to compare this to, so you're going at it blind.

well hopefully this will help anyone who's looking at the spring to not waste 18 bucks on it, because it's simply the same damn thing as the stock one!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well, at least you have an extra spring

I have an automatic but thanks for the heads up
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
But you can tell people you have a Steeda spring instead of a stock spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Is it really that important to have the clutch spring? Why remove it to replace it for a "less" restrictive spring?

I may be missing something. For about 2 months now I've had the spring removed.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Idk. I know on the 2015/2016 the stock GT spring is the worst. This was definitely an improvement.

Not sure about the s197 though. But for $10, would you expect a significant change?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yes, I would, seeing as everybody I talked to said it made a HUGE difference. problem is, those people had the gt. and again the gt spring is completely different than the v6 spring, but gt people didn't know that, and neither did v6 people.

and i'm keeping a spring because i did hear that it could potentially mess things up with the slave cylinder since the spring helps it return all the way to the top.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 05-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Add it to your mod list then! Lol 😝

Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Add it to your mod list then! Lol 😝

lolol ugh. what a waste of time and effort. although it wasn't my effort, because my brother was up for the evening and he said he'd help me out.....aka he did it for me because i couldn't fit under there, and he was all flexible and **** hahaha...he got it though! but yeah, i felt bad after when i said it really did nothing lol he was like eh idc hahaha
Old 05-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

SO I am at the risk of screwing up the slave cylinder?

Great...gotta fit my big *** self under the steering column...again!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I ran the original V6 spring and a "revised" GT spring, neither made any difference.

Also, without a spring, my car was basically not drive able.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i read that it's much heavier without the spring but i didn't try it since we just replaced the spring right away.

steeda CLAIMS that you could ruin the slave cylinder by not letting it disengage completely and return to the top. one member i remember reading stated that every morning he'd goto his car (without the spring) and notice the pedal was sunken in a bit...so overnight the pedal would start to engage itself, which i can only imagine isn't good.

then i also read another member claiming he had 70k on his with no spring and he was fine..so who the hell knows.

either way, i guess i just fell for steeda's BS marketing. clearly this spring is NOT meant for the v6, but nowhere do they tell you that. seems like they're a bit dishonest with this one, so i doubt i'd trust them in the future for anything! idc that it was only 10 dollars, its the principle of it.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well good thread none the less. Thank you for being the guinea pig on this product.

I need to put mine back on ASAP!

Old 05-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
sell it to a GT guy.....get 1/2 your $ back.

poor impulse control.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

People have removed their spring for 2+ years and countless miles and still have no issue today.

How is a spring that assists in putting downward force on the clutch pedal, going to assist in pushing it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
People have removed their spring for 2+ years and countless miles and still have no issue today.

How is a spring that assists in putting downward force on the clutch pedal, going to assist in pushing it back?

no idea, but again, there was a member here who stated that when his spring was out, he would find his pedal would be sunken in the next morning. that doesn't happen with the spring. i believe it was in my other thread about the squeeky pedal.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
sell it to a GT guy.....get 1/2 your $ back.

poor impulse control.

eh don't care about the money. just the fact that steeda markets it for every mustang, when clearly it's NOT for every mustang. why not just put in there that this benefits the GT? because maybe they didn't do research? like i said, from here on out i don't think i'll put any faith into steeda products and buy them. i mean if they couldn't do research on something as small and dumb as an assist spring, why should i trust any of their more expensive products?
Old 05-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Interested, that's the only case I've heard or read about it.

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Let me look into this ... as far as I know, this is the first instance I have seen on the forums about a V6 having no effect.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Let me look into this ... as far as I know, this is the first instance I have seen on the forums about a V6 having no effect.

Best Regards,

TJ
thanks, TJ. i just don't get it. is steeda not aware that the GT and V6 springs are different? the resistance to push down on both was pretty much identical. the only difference is stock v6 spring is 4 coil and steeda is 5. either way, the clutch feels identical. no difference whatsoever.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I was not involved in the testing or the research & development of this product - I have a note into our staff that worked on it.

Let me get some feedback & well go from there.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

so just for reference:

here's the stock v6 spring:

puny little spring

now here's the steeda spring:

has an extra coil

and here's the stock GT spring:

notice how the GT spring is thicker and also is a 5 coil.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Bump. Did TJ ever get back to you?
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

nah nobody did. the spring isn't for the V6 even though they advertise it as such, and with what a pain in the damn *** it was to get it in there, I wasn't taking it out to return it.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Thanks for letting me know!
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #25

Region: Massachusetts
FWIW, my 15 Ecoboost came with the thick spring, same as the GT spring above. With that spring the pedal was so light on the lower half of the stroke I had a hard time modulating the pedal. I completely removed the spring and drove the car like that for 25k miles. It firmed up the lower half of the pedal stroke and made the clutch modulation and feel be what it should be.

After hearing positive reviews on the Steeda spring and the fact that it is so inexpensive I decided to give it a try. What this spring did was firm up the pedal stroke above the over center point and decreased the effort very slightly below (compared to no spring) the over center point making the effort much more consistent over the entire travel. The modulation of the clutch is the same as without the spring.

One of the best $15 I have spent on my Mustang.

BTW, the Steeda spring is extremely easy to install if you press the pedal to the floor. It can be installed without tools. I had to grab the stock spring with channel lock pliers to compress it enough to remove.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
The placement of the spring is such that it goes over center part way through the pedal travel. So in the top portion of travel it is pushing the pedal up and once it goes over center it is pushing it down.

This is very common in clutch pedal designs. My 68 Barracuda does it to.

They do this to try and keep the effort consistent through the entire travel of the pedal. At least with the 15 Ecoboost and GT they missed mark by quite a bit. The spring reduces the effort so much past the over center point that it's hard to feel the pedal under your foot.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

glad to hear it worked with you on the ecoboost; the 3.7 spring 2014 and prior is identical to the steeda spring, and they should mention that in their product description....but they won't, because they want to make money off suckers like me who actually thought it would help.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:00 AM   #28

From the pictures you posted the Steeda spring, because of the extra coil, has about a 25% lower spring rate than the stock spring. That would equate to a corosponding decrease in pedal effort above the over center spring and a corosponding increase in effort below the over center point.

If you are not satisfied why not return it? Steeda is a first rate company and I am quite sure they will refund your money.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

lol because it was what, 10 dollars, and for me, it was such a pain in the *** to get it into the car that theres no way in hell I'm going back under to get it.

there's absolutely no pedal feel difference at all. my point was, I don't care if they'd refund me, I just would rather them post on their description that a V6 will feel no difference due to the fact the V6 had a different spring than the v8.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Did you at least get a cool Steeda decal for your window? lol
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

lol don't remember..imagine that? putting the decal on because i have a spring? hahah
Old 03-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

That way you can tell people you cant feel the difference... but you can see it lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

hahah terrible. I'm not really one for putting stickers on, except my borla sticker. looks good on my rear drivers side window! mpt sent one with the tune, which I'd use, but it's HUGE. I'd rather a smaller more discreet sticker.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Ditto... I have my magnaflow and foose centered on my rear window, but its still subtle

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmmm strange. Was quite a big difference for mine. I couldn't depress my stock spring with my hand really, but the steeda seemed to give much more. Feels much more smooth in the release portion (last half of releasing clutch). It used to basically bounce it back up from the force, you could physically feel where the half pivot point was and it would throw the pedal back up. With the steeda it's much less pronounced and doesn't flick the pedal as much. Allows for a MUCH smoother shift.

Was one of the first things I noticed when I bought mine, that it forced the pedal up much more than any manual i'd owned before. Much more controllable now.
Spykexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang