What mods will improve MPG? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What mods will improve MPG?

Is it worth it to mod the bad boy for MPG? I hear that a CAI and Tune can boost efficiency. Will I loose warranty if I get the tune? Is it worth it to spend a couple hundred dollars on mods for improved MPG? I do drive a significant amount. I probably re fill my gas tank twice a week.

Let me know if there is anything I can or should do...

2014 Automatic Mustang V6
Joh113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2016, 04:48 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
some tunes will increase mpg...but you MAY loose your power train wtty the best mpg improvement comes from the driver mod.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
My take on modding for mileage...

Say you already get decent mpg, take 28 for example. Then say you get a good increase of 2mpg to 30. That's a 7.14% increase. Now let's take gas at $2.50 a gallon (more than it is right now). We will call your 7.14% increase a "savings" so you are saving $.18/g each fill up. At 13 gallons per fill up you are saving $2.34. At $400 for a tuner, you will need 171 fill ups before you break even. You mileage effectively improved from 364 miles per fill up to 390. At the new mileage, you will break even after about 66,000 miles (about 5 years for most normal driving). Will you even have the car then?

That's best case scenario. Your mileage may vary. My opinion: mod for for the smiles per gallon, not the miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

well said^^
Old 05-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Keep it stock
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Get some Prius, low resistance tires, won't void warranty and you'll see an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I always inflate my tires 2 to 3 psi over the factory recommendation on the driver's door, as most recommendations are for ride comfort, not handling. I've also found that, for me, doing this evens out the tire wear perfectly.......and it's a totally free mod that will increase your mpg more than almost anything else you could do.
Another free mod is keeping your heavy foot off the gas pedal -- coasting up to red lights will do wonders compared to accelerating hard and slamming on your brakes at the next light.
Think of it this way -- every time you hit the brakes, you are actually using gas, as you have to decrease your mpg to regain the lost momentum.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh113 View Post
Is it worth it to mod the bad boy for MPG? I hear that a CAI and Tune can boost efficiency. Will I loose warranty if I get the tune? Is it worth it to spend a couple hundred dollars on mods for improved MPG? I do drive a significant amount. I probably re fill my gas tank twice a week.

Typically MPG conscience consumers don't buy Mustangs!

dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Just enjoy the drive,
I had a Progressive snapshot in a while back and drove like a real sissy for almost six months.
If My MPG was any better then it is now, I didn't really notice.
I know the fun factor was gone at that time,
I'm back to normal driving now and the "FUN"is back.

I now do save $67.00 every six months on my insurance now though so it was worth it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Just enjoy the drive,
I had a Progressive snapshot in a while back and drove like a real sissy for almost six months.
If My MPG was any better then it is now, I didn't really notice.
I know the fun factor was gone at that time,
I'm back to normal driving now and the "FUN"is back.

I now do save $67.00 every six months on my insurance now though so it was worth it.
Ronnie
Surprised they let you take it off and keep the discounts.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
1. C&l Cai no mpg increase
2. Airaid Cai no mpg increase
3. Driveshaft & shorty headers maybe 1-2 mpg increase for $850
4. Airaid mod tube and motorcraft air filter no mpg increase
5. Magnaflow muffler deletes loss mpg

Sum it up I average 29-34 mpg but most of my driving is on the highway 2.73 manual trans. These are the mods ive experimented with. Number four is my current set up. I did get a nice performance bump with the headers and driveshaft. I swapped from the oem 17's with 225/60 to gt 19's 245/45 mpg still 29-34
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I only get 19 in city.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi mariusvt,
That is how the Progressive snapshot works, You plug it in and the major extremely large discount is shown, This is the most you can get,
As you drive and have hard stops and other things , The discount goes down.
I had hard stops because idiots would pull in front of me when I was slowing down at a red stoplight and slam on their brakes. It is impossible to avoid these people because if there is almost enough room in front of you, They squeeze in and slam on their brakes.
I think they also may check for fast starts .
I started with a $120.00 discount and in six months it dwindled down to the $67.00
I also went up to the American Muscle show and drove about 11 or 12 hours one day at between 70 and 90 MPH due to traffic flow.
It is a pretty good deal though because the $134 a year I save on two cars brings my insurance to $499.00 every six months.
They do ask for it back in six months.
Ronnie
Old 05-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Just Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
1. C&l Cai no mpg increase
2. Airaid Cai no mpg increase
3. Driveshaft & shorty headers maybe 1-2 mpg increase for $850
4. Airaid mod tube and motorcraft air filter no mpg increase
5. Magnaflow muffler deletes loss mpg

Sum it up I average 29-34 mpg but most of my driving is on the highway 2.73 manual trans. These are the mods ive experimented with. Number four is my current set up. I did get a nice performance bump with the headers and driveshaft. I swapped from the oem 17's with 225/60 to gt 19's 245/45 mpg still 29-34
Do you happen to know if you had a tire/wheel weight change when you swapped sizes?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Best mpgs will be from stock tune, some stock 17s rims with energy saver tires or w/e, and making sure you are in 6th after 40 or so depending on your gear ratio. Also, 2.73 gears will usually work best.

Keeping up with maintenance goes a long way. Spark plugs, air filter, good/clean quality fuel, aired up tires, etc.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Use you Cruise control, shut A/C off on hills, or just open your windows a little. If you open them a lot you will loose MPG, due to wind resistance, coast down hills or to exits or stop signs when you see them. Take all junk out of the car's trunk to keep weight down. Light weight rims, eco tires. As someone already said Alum driveshaft. Keep in mind doing some of these things is complete opposite of why and how we drive a Mustang.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Do you happen to know if you had a tire/wheel weight change when you swapped sizes?
Yes the 19's are a little heavier but not too much. It may be that I was excited to install them and had some extra pump during the install. When I remove my wheels for cleaning I will weigh both sizes for comparison.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Best Idea yet

If you fill your tires with Helium they would be very light.
Just don't over fill them or your Mustang will float away.
Ronnie
Old 05-29-2016, 07:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
Use you Cruise control, shut A/C off on hills, or just open your windows a little. If you open them a lot you will loose MPG, due to wind resistance, coast down hills or to exits or stop signs when you see them. Take all junk out of the car's trunk to keep weight down. Light weight rims, eco tires. As someone already said Alum driveshaft. Keep in mind doing some of these things is complete opposite of why and how we drive a Mustang.
I think you can do better controlling Revs per mph yourself rather than using cruise control.
Also, if so equipped, I think keeping an eye on your instantaneous fuel economy display can help a lot.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I fill up when i'm down to a half of a tank so i can say, "It only took $10 to fill up my Mustang".
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you fill your tires with Helium they would be very light.
Just don't over fill them or your Mustang will float away.
Ronnie
Especially with the light weight 3.7.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I fill up when i'm down to a half of a tank so i can say, "It only took $10 to fill up my Mustang".
Fill mine up at 50 miles to empty alert Shell V-power $22. My son has a 2005 silverado and uses your strategy (26 gallon tank @ 18-20mpg) gets to a half of tank and fills it back up , but not for $10
Old 05-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Best mod for MPG is taping an egg under your right foot and don't break it while driving.
I have gotten 34 MPG after the short tube headers and CAI, I think most of it comes from the tune and not driving aggressive all the time.
BTW lifetime MPG for my car at 60,000 miles is 26
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Should I drive in SelectShift mode? Can this help?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Joh113,
Just drive your Mustang the way you want to. It will never ever be an economy car.
You don't say if your car is a six or V8 but that does not matter anyway.
You can use 87 Octane in either engine.
Like Bucko always say's """" MUSTANGS ARE MADE TO DRIVE"""""
19 MPG around town is not really terrible gas mileage.
I usually get around 22 to 24 with my V6 auto but I drive the way I want to and don't worry much about MPG.
I didn't get any better when I had the Progressive "SNAPSHOT" and drove like an old Lady
I just did not enjoy my car as much. That is gone and I'm back to normal again and sure enjoy my Mustang.
Ronnie

PS: My neighbor has a Prius and they are supposed to get 53 MPG but he says he never got over 43 since he owned the car.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I said I have a v6 in the question. Anyway, I never drive my car like a maniac. I drive it like I drive a Corolla, and the gas mileage is still really bad...
Old 05-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I thought the V6 was supposed to get 31mpg highway. "the only v6 in its class with 305 HP and 31MPG" do you even know what bad gas mileage is?

Old 05-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
I only get 19 in city.

Just a FYI I believe these cars are rated at 19 or 21 in the city and 29-31 highway so that's really not that bad. City depends a lot how many lights you hit, hills, etc. these cars really only get 27+ on the highway. And FYI the GTs are rated at 15/ 25 and some guys get 12-13 in the city. If your getting 19 I doubt there is anything wrong with the car

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

My 2014 F150 with the 5.0 gets 17.8 MPG overall it has 52,000 miles and I have never reset it. And that's driving into DC and Baltimore on a regular basis. My 2009 Silverado used to get 13.5 under the same conditions and it burned a quart of oil a week. My Boss is like 16.5 and I have never reset that either

Old 05-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
I thought the V6 was supposed to get 31mpg highway. "the only v6 in its class with 305 HP and 31MPG" do you even know what bad gas mileage is?

Sure, 31 in the auto with 2.73 gears and 28" tall 215/65r17 low rolling resistance tires.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I said I have a v6 in the question. Anyway, I never drive my car like a maniac. I drive it like I drive a Corolla, and the gas mileage is still really bad...
So because you drive you like a Corolla, you expect the mileage to be the same? Great logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #32
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Sure, 31 in the auto with 2.73 gears and 28" tall 215/65r17 low rolling resistance tires.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Nah, I averaged 31mpg on my last road trip (950mi round trip) with 285/30/20 in the back. I just kept it on cruise at 72 when I was on the interstate. And that is actual mileage based on gps map and fill ups, not on the computer.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

don't depend on the liar on the dash.

Joh113
Are you looking at that thing on the dash that is usually wrong or did you try the pencil and paper method?
Pencil & Paper method:
Go fill your car up. Write down miles on the odometer
Drive it until it is at least 1/4 tank or less left.
Fill it up again. Write down gallons used.
Drive until it is down to 1/4 or less full and then fill it up.Write down gallons again and add them together. Write down Odometer reading and now
Subtract how many mile you have gone from first reading.
Now divide the gallons used into the miles driven.
This will give you the actual MPG your car is getting.
It is best to go at least three fill ups to really be accurate.
You can also just use the counter "A" or "B" - Just set it to OOOOOO to count how many miles you go.

Here is what I got on my trip to the Mustang show last year.

Trip expensis AM show 2015

Mileage at start on Counter “B” oooooo

1st. stop Manning S.C. 12.242 gal @ $35.00 = 363.7 miles = 29.709 mpg

2nd. Stop King George Va. 12.462 gal @ $35.01 = 395.7 miles = 31.752 mpg

3rd. stop Shillington Pa. 9.203 gal @$23.00 = 264.8 miles = 28.773 mpg

4th. stop Ashland Va. 11.946 gal @ $26.75 = 335.9 miles = 28.118 mpg

5th. stop Santee S.C. 11.067 gal @ $25.00 = 373.8 miles = 33.776 mpg

6th. stop Port Orange Fl. 10.767 gal @ $24.75 = 319.1 miles 29.636 mpg (Last stop)

Mileage at finish on counter “B” 2,053 miles

67.687 Gallons of gas used
Total miles = 2,053 Round trip
Total MPG = 30.330

Total cost of gas was == $169.51

Mustang was filled up at the same Shell station when I left and again at the same station when I returned.

This is total combined Highway, Heavy stop & go traffic and hills in Pennsylvania

From Port Orange (DAYTONA BEACH) Florida to Shillington / Maple Grove
Pennsylvania and back to Port Orange, Florida.

Ronnie
Old 05-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #34
Staff

Regular
Staff

John,

what do you get & where do you drive (and do math rather than the car given number) I assume you've checked air psi and run the correct oil in it. my MT with 3.31 in semi-rural keeping it at 2k rpm gets 22-24 mpg. I'm dissapointed with the numbers but the fun per gallon is great
Old 05-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ditch the $800 wax job and apply the money to your gas budget. Wax your Mustang yourself, buy a bottle of $15 wax.
Keep your tire pressure around 37 psi, and check it every week. Be gentle with the gas pedal. Keep your Mustang 'stock'.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang