Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8? - Page 13 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #421
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I will just let my southern friends have fun with these two. Maybe they will take each other down......we could send Trudeau down for a replacement

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Not sure if they know who Trudeau is yet lol.

Sent from the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #422
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I will just let my southern friends have fun with these two. Maybe they will take each other down......we could send Trudeau down for a replacement

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

Trudeau? He wasn't the one trading political favors for crack was he?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #423
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRREEN View Post
I bought the 3.7 because it runs on regular which is 50 cents a gallon less, gets way better gas mileage, and is way easier to service as there is room
under the hood to get to everything easily, it cost 10 grand less, insurance is way less and it has more power than the 96 LT1 corvette I bought new for twice the coin of the mustang.
On top of that I have several big horse old musclecars with 455's and 454's in them
that are plenty fast if I feel the need for more speed. The 3.7 is a no-brainer
plain and simple. It also handles better because it isn't front heavy like the v-8 cars. You 5.0 guys sure are trying hard to convince yourselves you made the right decision, but I'm not buying any of it.
I agree with you. It does handle better and less nose roll and dive. You made a great choice.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #424
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRREEN View Post
I bought the 3.7 because it runs on regular which is 50 cents a gallon less, .
The 5.0 runs on regular, 87 octane as well. Just like the 3.7, you only get maximum horsepower if you run premium 93 octane, but both will run 87 with no problem.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #425
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Lol send who u like gap his or her *** like all others

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #426

Prey is prey no matter what jungle there in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #427
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I was waiting for that. Again, still proves my point. 🐖🔨

By the way, my 5.0 averaged 25 mpg combined when it was my daily. Insurance for me was the difference between getting a super sized mc d meal. But I realize that's not the case for everyone.
I agree with everything you're writing. I just wasn't willing to pay the extra $7,500 for a GT model. It just wasn't worth it to me. Comes down to money just like you said. It just wasn't worth the extra money to me to purchase the higher-level model

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #428
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost3.7 View Post
The front

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

They're not ready for it yet.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #429
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Cost. Not only in sticker but putting 35k miles/yr on a 25k ride versus a 35k ride goes down easier on the front end and at the pump. Had to make a trip to the other side of the state not too long ago and clipped along at 85mph for two hours. Reached my destination and saw that I averaged 29.9mpg doing so.
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, Performance Package: Roush Quarter Window Scoops; Roush Jackal Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Wire Mesh Grilles; Ford Performance Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Differential Urethane Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; MBRP XP Catbacks; Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors; BAMA 93R Tune; Royal Purple juice in everything!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #430
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Exactly sir. You hit the nail on the head. One can't afford the V8 model or one can afford the V8 model but wasn't willing to pay the added cost of the V8.

I loved the 2011 5.0 but didn't love it enough to spend the added 7,500 dollars for it. Some can't afford it, some can but not willing to spend the added cost.
The world is not black and white, there is a fair amount of grey involved. It would seem to be nice if it were a binary world, but we all know it's much more complicated than that. It's simply our nature to find alternatives. We as humans get bored easily with yes or no, on or off, black or white, etc. That's why there's Race Red or Kona Blue, right?

As I had stated in one of my earlier posts, the deciding factor and main attribute was how the car handled. This is a primary and personal preference for me on every car I've purchased; will I have control of the car at speed related to the power available. To date, the V6 would be the most powerful car I would own and I wanted a car that handled well. Power without control was not an option. I had test driven the V6 and V8 and found the V6 handled better than the V8 in my opinion and for my personal preference. That is simply why I purchased the V6, not because of the cost difference. Just my or was that a nickle
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
Old 06-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #431
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
The world is not black and white, there is a fair amount of grey involved. It would seem to be nice if it were a binary world, but we all know it's much more complicated than that. It's simply our nature to find alternatives. We as humans get bored easily with yes or no, on or off, black or white, etc. That's why there's Race Red or Kona Blue, right?

As I had stated in one of my earlier posts, the deciding factor and main attribute was how the car handled. This is a primary and personal preference for me on every car I've purchased; will I have control of the car at speed related to the power available. To date, the V6 would be the most powerful car I would own and I wanted a car that handled well. Power without control was not an option. I had test driven the V6 and V8 and found the V6 handled better than the V8 in my opinion and for my personal preference. That is simply why I purchased the V6, not because of the cost difference. Just my or was that a nickle
Why do all V/8 owners always think V/6 owners can't afford a GT. I just didn't want one. The V/6 with the Performance Package handles better. I already have 3 cars now. I own many other toys also plus properties too. I could have bought any Mustang I wanted. Just didn't need a V/8. We are not all poor working at a fast food restaurant, we don't need to go to every car show just to open our hood and talk endlessly about what we did to our V/8.
Enjoy your Cyclone, I do.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #432
Staff

Regular
Staff

they don't...or shouldn't. Being able to and wanting to spend $ are two different reasons involving the same root thing ($) Thee OP's original question "why did you get a V6 instead of a V8" You will have the minority that prefer the handling or love modding and rattling the cages of those with V8 but $ is the reason most of us got what we did.
I have driven both and am not a good enough driver to say which handles better but I know I can drive the V8 faster as the straight line/acceleration more than make up for any handling advantages a better balanced car would have. Yes I could afford it but wasn't willing to spend the $ (I would go mayhap 3k more but the 5-6K (new) it would have cost was just something I wasn't willing to spend. Yes, I have occasional regrets but still would have a hard time justifying the V8 today if I had to.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #433
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
they don't...or shouldn't. Being able to and wanting to spend $ are two different reasons involving the same root thing ($) Thee OP's original question "why did you get a V6 instead of a V8" You will have the minority that prefer the handling or love modding and rattling the cages of those with V8 but $ is the reason most of us got what we did.
I have driven both and am not a good enough driver to say which handles better but I know I can drive the V8 faster as the straight line/acceleration more than make up for any handling advantages a better balanced car would have. Yes I could afford it but wasn't willing to spend the $ (I would go mayhap 3k more but the 5-6K (new) it would have cost was just something I wasn't willing to spend. Yes, I have occasional regrets but still would have a hard time justifying the V8 today if I had to.
For me as I have owned 2 Mazda RX3, 1 RX4, 1 RX8, 2 Merkur XR4TIs, I liked the handling of the car with the PP package, which there are less of them out there than GTs. I tend to buy a little different and not follow the crowd. Price was not a factor at all.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #434
Registered Member
Regular

Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8?

Nobody said every v6 owner was poor some maybe cheap, others maybe are not man enough to handle the brute force of a V8...lol

Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #435
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Nobody said every v6 owner was poor some maybe cheap, others maybe are not man enough to handle the brute force of a V8...lol

No there were posts that said it was all about money. I had a 428 Cobra Jet when I was in high school 850 double pump Holly Carb, now that in a Fairlane put you back in your seat. The good old days of no emission testing.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #436
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

I agree wholeheartedly that money is the reason why MOST people purchased the v6. I just didn't agree that EVERYBODY purchased a v6 because of my money if some of the people on here would understand that there wouldn't be any disagreement from me.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #437
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Is this thread still a "thing"? Lol

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 06-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #438
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
There should probably be a why did you buy a GT and not a Boss 302 or Gt and not a shelby gt post now.
2012 Mustang Club of America Edition Silver Ingot V6 Premium, 6MT, BBK Shorty Headers, Mak Performance catless H-Pipe (not MAC), Magnaflow Street Catback, Airaid CAI, MPT 93R Tune, 80mm Throttle Body, Ported Intake Manifolds, SR Lowering Springs, SR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Lakewood 50/50 Shocks, Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #439
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012MCA View Post
There should probably be a why did you buy a GT and not a Boss 302 or Gt and not a shelby gt post now.
I prefer the handling of the GT to the Shelby, less weight.

I kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
Old 06-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #440
Registered Member
Regular

All I know is I went from an eco cruze to my v6 mustang and it had more than enough power for me. One day I may even put a single turbo on it who knows.
2012 Mustang Club of America Edition Silver Ingot V6 Premium, 6MT, BBK Shorty Headers, Mak Performance catless H-Pipe (not MAC), Magnaflow Street Catback, Airaid CAI, MPT 93R Tune, 80mm Throttle Body, Ported Intake Manifolds, SR Lowering Springs, SR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Lakewood 50/50 Shocks, Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #441
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
I prefer the handling of the GT to the Shelby, less weight.

I kid.

A lot of those decisions are based on money too and what someone's plans may be for the car. I bought a used Boss instead of a new GT and I don't regret that one bit. I can honestly say that I like my Boss better than a Shelby GT 500. GT 350 is another story I like it but I'm not getting one of those because of MONEY and/or lack of garage space. I don't want to get rid of my Boss to get a GT 350

Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #442
Registered Member
Regular

Shouldn't we be talking about how much better or Mustangs are when compared to the Challenger and Camaro?
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #443
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Shouldn't we be talking about how much better or Mustangs are when compared to the Challenger and Camaro?
Everybody already understands that

Old 06-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #444
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We're all here because we know that.

Except for the new Camaro. The LT1 is no joke. Can't wait to see what Ford does to remain competitive.

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
Old 06-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #445
Registered Member
Regular

I would never own a Camaro because of all the damn electrical problems and mechanical problems that have seemed to plague every GM product I've owned in the last 10 years. They drink oil, eat batteries, alternators, water pumps, light bulbs, ball joints, rod ends, etc They are **** the one good thing about an LS motor is you never have to change the oil because your constantly adding oil. And I just love how the Chevy guys talk bad about Chrysler stuff I have had much, much better luck with Chrysler vehicles.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #446
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
This is easy,
Buy a six or even a four cylinder
Just stick a 5.0 on each side
Stick a GT on the back,
Bingo- a less expensive GT.

You can put hood pins on the hood and use the small locks like you use for your airport luggage to hold the hood down.
If anybody ever asks to see the engine, Just tell them you don't have the keys with you.

See how easy this is?????????
Ronnie
Old 06-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #447
Registered Member
Regular

Just get one of these

Old 06-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #448
Registered Member
Regular

Ford fell on it's face on the 2015 as far as weight reduction. It is a good car but Ford said it would be lighter than the previous model. Now the Camaro has couple hundred pound weight advantage.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #449
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
Ford fell on it's face on the 2015 as far as weight reduction. It is a good car but Ford said it would be lighter than the previous model. Now the Camaro has couple hundred pound weight advantage.

Are you sure about this? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465588514.073066.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	202271

Old 06-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #450
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Quote:

I'll take the Challenger! 👍
Old 06-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #451
Registered Member
Regular

Base Weights for Camaro VS Mustang 4Cyl. Camaro 3339, Mustang 3532. Base weights for V/6 Camaro 3435, Mustang 3526. V/8 Camaro 3685, Mustang 3705. That is with the 6.2 Liter in the Camaro, and it still weighs less. I would never own one as I have only Fords, but weight reduction was suppose to be the main goal along with the Independent Rear Suspension for 2015, but we got a heavier car then the 2014.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #452
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah but that's really inconsequential your talking 20 pounds V8 to V8 and yeah it's a 6.2 but it's a pushrod motor which is dimensionally similar or slightly smaller than the 5.0

Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #453
Registered Member
Regular

I know but we needed to do what Chevy did for 2016. I stayed away from all the options on mine. V/6, 6 speed, PP and just the tech pkg so I would have Bluetooth.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #454
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The platform of the S550 is lighter than the S197!.. The thing is that with the IRS and some of the additional safety features, it actually weighs more!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Old 06-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #455
Registered Member
Regular

V/6 was 3496 pounds, 2015 was 3526.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang