Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8? - Page 17 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #561
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Night View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. The V6 has more power then most of the old V8s. My car is a retirement car also. I had my first Mustang 49 years ago, this 6 cylinder has more hp power then my 289 High Performance engine. More then enough for me!
I had a 1966 Mustang with the 289 and a 4 barrel and it only made 225hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #562
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
Yes that is a good question. Why are GT buyers not buying the GT500? Don't they have the money? Don't they see the value in the GT500?

They probably don't have the money or don't need or want the extra hp and name. But the reason you don't see threads like that is because 5.0 guys aren't regretting their purchase even though most probably would love to own a gt500. The difference is... 5.0 guys aren't afraid to say they can't afford a Shelby.

I can understand why you would chose a 5.0 over a Shelby, but choosing a v6 over a 5.0 would be the equivalent of choosing a 370z over a GTR.

The difference in performance between the 5.0 and Shelby are not as far apart as a v6 and 5.0. Also...depending on what your goals are, it's a wider choice to go with a 5.0. It just depends. But at the end of the day, no matter what goals you have, a v8 is always a better choice over a v6.

Again...it's funny how v6 owners are trying so hard to fix this around. Makes me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #563
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyal_McNeff View Post
They probably don't have the money or don't need or want the extra hp and name. But the reason you don't see threads like that is because 5.0 guys aren't regretting their purchase even though most probably would love to own a gt500. The difference is... 5.0 guys aren't afraid to say they can't afford a Shelby.
Agreed. I don't have the money, but if I did I'd choose a Shelby in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
Old 07-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #564
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog316 View Post
If you don't like my V6, buy me a V8. Then you won't have to complain. Simple. 😊👍

Sent from my iPad using iOS X beta 2

I like your v6.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #565
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Going to have to disagree with you on the no one will admit they need reassurance. I have seen several threads over the years talking about regretting buying a V6 or thinking they may of regretted buying a 3.7.

Asking if anyone regretted buying a V6 instead of a V8. I think some are looking too deep into this. I believe the OP was just looking to start a nice thread for discussion.

In terms of a 300 HP car is not fast for today's standard. Guess that depends on how fast someone wants to go. I know this may come as a shock but the majority of mustang owners don't track race, or drag strip race so many just don't care if a 5.0 runs 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile.

Many people just love the look of the mustang 3.7 and it provides nearly similar performance as older 4.6 models (2010 Gt and under).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Most gt500 owners don't track race either. To be honest...if you bought any mustang to race at the track, you've made a horrible purchase. With the exception of a gt350R, but even then...for the price, you could buy a much better track ready car.

People don't buy mustangs to race them. But people buy 5.0's because they're a hell of a lot more fun to drive than a car that has the same hp as my Nissan Altima. I don't care what anyone says...people don't buy v6's because they like them better. They buy them because they don't have the money, or don't care about car stuff enough to want to spend the money. Plain and simple.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #566
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Gotta love the v8 owners that hate on any owner of a non v8.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #567
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Most gt500 owners don't track race either. To be honest...if you bought any mustang to race at the track, you've made a horrible purchase. With the exception of a gt350R, but even then...for the price, you could buy a much better track ready car.

People don't buy mustangs to race them. But people buy 5.0's because they're a hell of a lot more fun to drive than a car that has the same hp as my Nissan Altima. I don't care what anyone says...people don't buy v6's because they like them better. They buy them because they don't have the money, or don't care about car stuff enough to want to spend the money. Plain and simple.

I agree with your last statement. People who buy a V6 may not be able to afford the higher model, 5.0.

Some mustang owners have the money however just don't care enough to spend the extra money for the higher model! Some people just don't care about having a V8. It's just not that important to some of us mustang owners.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #568
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can understand why you would chose a 5.0 over a Shelby, but choosing a v6 over a 5.0 would be the equivalent of choosing a 370z over a GTR.

The difference in performance between the 5.0 and Shelby are not as far apart as a v6 and 5.0. Also...depending on what your goals are, it's a wider choice to go with a 5.0. It just depends. But at the end of the day, no matter what goals you have, a v8 is always a better choice over a v6.

Again...it's funny how v6 owners are trying so hard to fix this around. Makes me laugh.

I don't regret my choice at all. My V/6 is plenty fast and handles great with the performance package.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #569
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I agree with your last statement. People who buy a V6 may not be able to afford the higher model, 5.0.

Some mustang owners have the money however just don't care enough to spend the extra money for the higher model! Some people just don't care about having a V8. It's just not that important to some of us mustang owners.

^^This^^
Absolutely their are people who just can't afford a Gt,and thats just fine, and to others it's not important to have a V8.
I really don't understand why Tiny Tim can't understand this.

BTW Kona can you spot me a few bucks till my welfare check clears, I read yours already cleared and I'm a little short this week.😆

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #570
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:

Very true....

But there are some v6 owners that say that... but then have every mod a v6 can do trying to make the car feel fast.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #571
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
They probably don't have the money or don't need or want the extra hp and name.
I know you are referring to why GT owners don't go for the GT500, but the last part of this sums up why I have the V6 PP. While I have the money for a GT, I don't need the extra HP and the GT name.

However, I will readily admit to wanting the extra HP...

But realistically I know there are really few situations where I could put it to good use. There are any number of situations where I could get in trouble with it, though.

So, at the risk of making this thread run longer, it is confession time. I looked at new Mustangs this summer, including the GT's. The local dealer had a nice GT in competition orange w/ Ebony racing stripes and a 6 speed manual paired with 3.55 gears. It would be a hoot to drive it around like a hooligan. However, evaluating how I use my Mustang - and what I need in a car for my upcoming trips - I made the decision to keep my current car. A new V6 didn't really offer enough advantages over my '14 to make it attractive. The Ecoboost doesn't interest me (not hating, just not my cup of tea) and that Orange GT was far from suitable for what I do. It is possible that in the future I may not make the long-distance trips that I currently do, and if that changes, then a V8 in a bright color with an optional tire-shredding final drive ratio may be in order. But for now, that V6 pony is the right choice for my situation... and the fact that it cost me less money makes it even better.

We all have unique situations; we all have our reasons for buying the type of vehicle we drive with whatever options we chose. I won't go into my reasons for the color of my vehicle, nor why I still have stock exhaust on it, or exactly what "accessories" I've installed... although anyone that is interested can probably look at my posts and get an inkling of how the car is used. This one option - the type of engine - was initially chosen because it had enough power for its intended use at a good price. The extra HP of the GT would have been fun, but not necessary; after all, either engine is capable of cruising at speeds that will get you ticketed or detained. The lower fuel economy of the V8 would be a detriment to how I use my car, and I don't particularly want to install a fuel cell.

So, I'm not putting down the GT, and I'm not claiming my V6 is better or faster than a GT. I am simply saying that my V6 car suits my current needs better than a V8 version.

Ladies and Gentlemen - Please drive what you love, and love what you drive...

2014 V6 w/ 6MT, Performance Package and Aluminum Driveshaft in Sterling Gray... The Perfect Road Trip Car (for me).
Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #572
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Quote:
I like your v6.

Don't try to sweet talk me. Go buy me a v8 right now.
(or a new Ford GT v6 lol)

Old 07-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #573
Registered Member
Regular

Well, the 2016 4-cylinder is 300hp, & my 2006 v6 is 200hp. So, if i get a 4-cyl, that's an upgrade, right?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #574
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Well, the 2016 4-cylinder is 300hp, & my 2006 v6 is 200hp. So, if i get a 4-cyl, that's an upgrade, right?

Actually it would be!.. The S550 platform is an all around better platform than the S197!.. Plus the higher HP and Torque from the Eco 4!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Old 07-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #575
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick953 View Post
I don't recall seeing that question, your past comments sounded more like a statement. In any case to answer your question I personally don't head over to the V8 or GT500 threads to often. However, regardless if they do or don't make that thread why do you care so much?

You have yet to answer my question. You keep answering my question with a question lol. So can you tell me why you care so much? Seriously, I'm curios ...

I never said I did care!.. Just funny how these threads are always started by V6 owners, then so many start claiming hatred from any/all V8 owners!.. Also seems there is far more honesty with the GT crowd than any other!..

Ya personally I could finance a new V6 or newer 5.0 if I wanted!.. But then I would have to sell the two Mustangs I currently own!.. I prefer to have my two than a "faster/better" car simply because I like variety!.. 😎

One day I'll own a 5.0 or Shelby!.. But it will be when I can afford 3 Mustangs!..

Old 07-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #576
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
^^This^^
Absolutely their are people who just can't afford a Gt,and thats just fine, and to others it's not important to have a V8.
I really don't understand why Tiny Tim can't understand this.

BTW Kona can you spot me a few bucks till my welfare check clears, I read yours already cleared and I'm a little short this week.😆

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sure can bro. I will always help out a fellow V6er. Besides, it's not my money. 😉😀

Old 07-25-2016, 11:37 PM   #577
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very true....

But there are some v6 owners that say that... but then have every mod a v6 can do trying to make the car feel fast.

Like me. My 3.7 is modded performance bolt on 's and appearance mods. Love my mods? Define fast? My 300 rwhp 3.7 feels fast too me. So, what is fast? My 3.7 can do 0-60 mph in 4.7-4.8 second's. Is that fast? IDK, but sure fast enough for me.

I wanted to put my money into modding my 3.7 instead of spending 7,500k more for the same base model GT as my 3.7 and then having to spend more money to mod the 5.0.

It's not like I would buy the 5.0 and not mod it. The 5.0 needs to be modded big time. That great sounding V8 that everyone talks about. News flash, that does come from factory parts. The V8 sounds amazing when the exhaust is modded and I mean full exhaust. That's just to start with. Let's not talk about the horrible tune the automatic has from the factory.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 PM   #578
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Like me. My 3.7 is modded performance bolt on 's and appearance mods. Love my mods? Define fast? My 300 rwhp 3.7 feels fast too me. So, what is fast? My 3.7 can do 0-60 mph in 4.7-4.8 second's. Is that fast? IDK, but sure fast enough for me.

I wanted to put my money into modding my 3.7 instead of spending 7,500k more for the same base model GT as my 3.7 and then having to spend more money to mod the 5.0.

It's not like I would buy the 5.0 and not mod it. The 5.0 needs to be modded big time. That great sounding V8 that everyone talks about. News flash, that does come from factory parts. The V8 sounds amazing when the exhaust is modded and I mean full exhaust. That's just to start with. Let's not talk about the horrible tune the automatic has from the factory.

Well you put at least 3500 in your car trying to make it fast. Seems like you wasted money seeing that another 3500 would bought you a 5.0...

There you go again trying to justify why your v6 was a great purchase.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #579
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well you put at least 3500 in your car trying to make it fast. Seems like you wasted money seeing that another 3500 would bought you a 5.0...

Huh? What, Justifying? Whose justifying? You mentioned about people who mod their V6 mustang's. I am one of those V6 owners and love it. Not trying to justify my purchase. Again, the can't afford a 5.0 aspect did not pertain to me. It was never about not being able to afford the 5.0.

It just wasn't important enough to me to have a 5.0 just to say I have a 5.0. If I want a 5.0 that bad all I have to do is go to a Ford dealership and finance one. It's really not difficult!

Old 07-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #580
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:

My 5.0 sounds great with just a set of used GT500 mufflers ($125) and a used Lethal off road pipe ($100).
1999 Explorer 4x4 stock
Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #581
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Huh? What, Justifying? Whose justifying? You mentioned about people who mod their V6 mustang's. I am one of those V6 owners and love it. Not trying to justify my purchase. Again, the can't afford a 5.0 aspect did not pertain to me. It was never about not being able to afford the 5.0.

It just wasn't important enough to me to have a 5.0 just to say I have a 5.0. If I want a 5.0 that bad all I have to do is go to a Ford dealership and finance one. It's really not difficult!

He's just trolling . I think he has been banned from most of the Mustang forums they are
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #582
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:

So you think the v6 is a better platform to mod on? Or was the mustang like a midlife crisis on a budget thing?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #583
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you think the v6 is a better platform to mod on? Or was the mustang like a midlife crisis on a budget thing?

V6 better platform to mod on? Better than what? I'm lost? I just really loved the look of the S197 back when I bought my 2011 and my deep dark desire wasn't to own a 5.0.

What's the confusion with that?

Old 07-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #584
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
V6 better platform to mod on? Better than what? I'm lost? I just really loved the look of the S197 back when I bought my 2011 and my deep dark desire wasn't to own a 5.0.

What's the confusion with that?

Why do you always answer a question with 2-3 questions?

If you could care less about 5.0's, why are you still defending the topic?

And I bet your response is...

Defending what? Faster than what? What's fast? Compared to what?

Old 07-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #585
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why do you always answer a question with 2-3 questions?

If you could care less about 5.0's, why are you still defending the topic?

And I bet your response is...

Defending what? Faster than what? What's fast? Compared to what?

You wrote if I thought the V6 was a better platform? Better platform than what? The 3.7 is a good, solid reliable platform to build on. Is it a better platform to build over the 5.0. Of course not but again, not everyone cares about building a 600 plus rwhp mustang. Again, it's just not that important to some.

You seem really confused!

Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #586
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I never said I did care!..
Lol sorry but it seems you kind of do care otherwise you wouldn't be consistenlty asking why people do this or that or consistently comparing V6 to V8 threads lol.

Quote:
Just funny how these threads are always started by V6 owners,
Not trying to be a dick but this statement also previously contradicts your previous statement. Its a forum as long as its not against the rules it should be fair game.

Quote:
then so many start claiming hatred from any/all V8 owners!..
It really seems like its the other way around but if this does come about its mainly aimed at people who make blanket statements like:
  1. All V6 owners secretly want a V8
    All V6 owners are lying to themselves
    All V6 owners bought there car because they are too poor to afford a V8
    All V6 owners mod there car to be like a V8
    All V6 owners are indenial about there purchases
    All V6 owners ...(insert blanket phrase)

Statements like the above may apply to some people but when people phrase it to indiscriminately apply to all. It comes off as a bit offensive, ignorant and highly immature. Its actually rather sad....
Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #587
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with you. Owners of V/8's seem need to reinforce their buying decision all the time by putting others down. There will always be a faster Mustang than theirs, they could of bought a Boss 302, or a GT500, but most didn't because as they say, it was not in their price range. Maybe if they move out of Mommies basement and take on responsibilities of a life, family, home, college they can see what little money they have to truly live in the real world.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #588
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:

Kona's choice was great for him and that is a good thing. I hope you enjoys yours as much as he does his.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #589
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick953 View Post
Lol sorry but it seems you kind of do care otherwise you wouldn't be consistenlty asking why people do this or that or consistently comparing V6 to V8 threads lol.

Not trying to be a dick but this statement also previously contradicts your previous statement. Its a forum as long as its not against the rules it should be fair game.

It really seems like its the other way around but if this does come about its mainly aimed at people who make blanket statements like:

1. All V6 owners secretly want a V8

All V6 owners are lying to themselves

All V6 owners bought there car because they are too poor to afford a V8

All V6 owners mod there car to be like a V8

All V6 owners are indenial about there purchases

All V6 owners ...(insert blanket phrase)

Statements like the above may apply to some people but when people phrase it to indiscriminately apply to all. It comes off as a bit offensive, ignorant and highly immature. Its actually rather sad....

How did I contradict anything I said?.. I have said from the beginning and continued to say that these threads have always started with V6 owners!..

Old 07-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #590
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually it would be!...

lol if i ever get start getting paid for all the hours i work; i might get a new one. I'm keeping my 06 tho.
But, I would but a lot of cool toys if i had the dough, that's for sure.
My 2006 is still like new. except for the usual couple of bugs.

Sent from my Samsung RF22K9581SGG/AA via iOS
Old 07-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #591
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
I agree with you. Owners of V/8's seem need to reinforce their buying decision all the time by putting others down. There will always be a faster Mustang than theirs, they could of bought a Boss 302, or a GT500, but most didn't because as they say, it was not in their price range. Maybe if they move out of Mommies basement and take on responsibilities of a life, family, home, college they can see what little money they have to truly live in the real world.

Says he agrees with the guy who says all v8 owners say things to group all v6 owners into one pile. Then makes the same statements about V8 owners 🤔
Old 07-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #592
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Says he agrees with the guy who says all v8 owners say things to group all v6 owners into one pile. Then makes the same statements about V8 owners 🤔

Lol!

Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #593
Road Trip!
Regular

I think there is some confusion here...

The threads name is why did you pick the v6 over the v8.

I still stand by my statement that there are two reasons. Price or not caring about performance. Insurance, gas mileage, needing to get kids in college ect....that all gets lumped into price.

But what really bugs me is how people say "oh I have real obligations ect...and that's why I bought a v6, yet they mod it and spend money on it and then try to make excuses for it when someone laughs at their Cai and gear threads. Or v8 swap threads...

Not all v6 owners are like that, but 3-4 in this thread sure as hell are.

If someone were to ask me why I chose a gt500 over a gt350 I would say, I couldn't afford it with the mark up. And I'm gonna try to spend the least amount of money on mods so I can pick up a used one in a year or two.

Fortunately for me. $1,000 in mods picked me up 100 hp and I'll be good to go for a while.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #594
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol if i ever get start getting paid for all the hours i work; i might get a new one. I'm keeping my 06 tho.
But, I would but a lot of cool toys if i had the dough, that's for sure.
My 2006 is still like new. except for the usual couple of bugs.

Sent from my Samsung RF22K9581SGG/AA via iOS

Don't get rid of it!.. Keep it forever!.. That way when you can get a GT, you'll have two Mustangs!.. Two is always better than one!.. 😎

Old 07-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #595
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I
The threads name is why did you pick the v6 over the v8.

I still stand by my statement that there are two reasons. Price or not caring about performance. Insurance, gas mileage, needing to get kids in college ect....that all gets lumped into price.

But what really bugs me is how people say "oh I have real obligations ect...and that's why I bought a v6, yet they mod it and spend money on it and then try to make excuses for it when someone laughs at their Cai and gear threads. Or v8 swap threads...

Going to 100% agree with you on the why a v6 over a v8. Believe me I said it and many others have said it. Then select other v6 owners debate it and throw out all this other reasons which as you and many others have pointed out goes back to money. They can say it's just a choice they made, but truth be told if they could have a v8 for the same price and insurance and gas wasn't a factor they would take the V8. Why? Because you would have to be seriously crazy not to.

I also agree with this other paragraph. Us V8 owners all run from responsibility. We live in our parents basements and spend every dime we have on our cars. Forget adult responsibilities.

Truth is we are talking about maybe 7k spending difference spread out over 5 years and maybe an extra 2-3k in gas and insurance over that time frame. So 10k spread out over 5 years (2k a year or 167 a month or 38 a week or 5.50 a day). Man if spending an extra 5.50 a day puts a strain on your finances then you probably shouldn't have a mustang anyway. Just saying.

Now cue the ignorant responses that twist my words and say I said all v6 owners are poor ba$tard$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang