Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8? - Page 18 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #596
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Going to 100% agree with you on the why a v6 over a v8. Believe me I said it and many others have said it. Then select other v6 owners debate it and throw out all this other reasons which as you and many others have pointed out goes back to money. They can say it's just a choice they made, but truth be told if they could have a v8 for the same price and insurance and gas wasn't a factor they would take the V8. Why? Because you would have to be seriously crazy not to.

I also agree with this other paragraph. Us V8 owners all run from responsibility. We live in our parents basements and spend every dime we have on our cars. Forget adult responsibilities.

Truth is we are talking about maybe 7k spending difference spread out over 5 years and maybe an extra 2-3k in gas and insurance over that time frame. So 10k spread out over 5 years (2k a year or 167 a month or 38 a week or 5.50 a day). Man if spending an extra 5.50 a day puts a strain on your finances then you probably shouldn't have a mustang anyway. Just saying.

Now cue the ignorant responses that twist my words and say I said all v6 owners are poor ba$tard$
If the 5.0 was the same price as my 3.7 when I bought it, hands down I would of gone for the 5.0. The performance on the 5.0 is great. I love the 5.0. We all love the 5.0, great car. No argument there.

The question is this. Does one love the 5.0 enough to spend the extra money for it over the less performance model. Does one want the 5.0 so bad they are willing to pay the extra 7.5 k for it?

For many the answer is yes. For many the answer is no. Besides bro, you know I'm the world's defender of the 3.7. Been doing it for 6 years now. Ha ha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #597
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
If the 5.0 was the same price as my 3.7 when I bought it, hands down I would of gone for the 5.0. The performance on the 5.0 is great. I love the 5.0. We all love the 5.0, great car. No argument there.

The question is this. Does one love the 5.0 enough to spend the extra money for it over the less performance model. Does one want the 5.0 so bad they are willing to pay the extra 7.5 k for it?

For many the answer is yes. For many the answer is no. Besides bro, you know I'm the world's defender of the 3.7. Been doing it for 6 years now. Ha ha.

But you did want one. If you didn't you wouldn't have modded your car. And then you realized you had negative equity and you were stuck. Do you started trying to make your v6 fast. I know you to well.

And....get ready for a barrage of senseless questions.

You know me? When did we meet? Modded to who? Compared to what?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #598
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The problems I see in this thread:

1) is people changing the original question from "why did you(the buyer) buy your V6 instead of V8" into "Why I think people buy there V6 instead of V8".

2) People not understanding the difference between Can and Want
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #599
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I agree with you. I am far from poor and just wanted a V/6. I don't take the car to the track or go to car shows. The 3.7 with a manual and the PP is a great car. I don't need to lower it, put all kinds of stripes on it, throw a big amp in it. I just wanted the lightest, nibble Mustang because in CT we have a ton of winding back roads.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #600
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyal_McNeff View Post
And then there's people like fast ford calling people tiny tim and saying people have small penises ect...

Attachment 203754

Nope just you. 😆
You really seem to have to defend it though hmm.
We all know your a troll by now and it will only be a matter of time before you can add this forum to the others you have been banned from.
Yeah we know.......

Oxford has been a long time member and it's fine that we agree to disagree, I respect that, but you, someone with a grand total of what 40 posts, and 25 in this thread alone stirring the pot over and over.......different story.

I'll suggest this to all members about "doyle" ignore his trolling comments, he provides nothing beneficial to this thread and it's long time respected members.

I'll start, anyone can join in.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #601
Staff

Regular
Staff

I'm just thankful I don't have a 4 cyl Stang........
Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #602
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
I agree with you. I am far from poor and just wanted a V/6. I don't take the car to the track or go to car shows. The 3.7 with a manual and the PP is a great car. I don't need to lower it, put all kinds of stripes on it, throw a big amp in it. I just wanted the lightest, nibble Mustang because in CT we have a ton of winding back roads.
Agreed.
I don't plan on trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of my 3.7, but I'm going to have fun with her and make it my own.

But hey if you ever get the modding bug go for it, it's your ride make it what you want, or just keep it bone stock, it doesn't matter.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #603
Staff

Regular
Staff

play nice folks there will be dope slaps.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #604
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
play nice folks there will be dope slaps.
Will do.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #605
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm just thankful I don't have a 4 cyl Stang........
Or a Dodge..... 😆

Old 07-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #606
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I think there is some confusion here...

The threads name is why did you pick the v6 over the v8.

I still stand by my statement that there are two reasons. Price or not caring about performance. Insurance, gas mileage, needing to get kids in college ect....that all gets lumped into price.

But what really bugs me is how people say "oh I have real obligations ect...and that's why I bought a v6, yet they mod it and spend money on it and then try to make excuses for it when someone laughs at their Cai and gear threads. Or v8 swap threads...

Not all v6 owners are like that, but 3-4 in this thread sure as hell are.

If someone were to ask me why I chose a gt500 over a gt350 I would say, I couldn't afford it with the mark up. And I'm gonna try to spend the least amount of money on mods so I can pick up a used one in a year or two.

Fortunately for me. $1,000 in mods picked me up 100 hp and I'll be good to go for a while.

I think you missed something here.
The question is directed to V6 owners to be answered by V6 owners.
Hearsay is non admissible.

Here's a good question for you. Why are there 5.0 owners that ALSO buy a V6??
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #607
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Yes I see your point.
I'll try to use that analogy here to maybe make you understand our point.
I just picked up a new phone, Galaxy S 6 edge, I was offered the S 7 edge for a 100$ instead of the 0 dollars the S 6 edge, is the S 7 a better phone, sure, but I'm not a tech Guru and the S 6 is more then I need.
Like you said 100$ is what pennies a day over 2 years, but my S 6 is more then capable of keeping me happy. The S 7 might have a quicker processor but the S 6 is no slouch either.
Absolutely no bashing here, and like I said I respect your opinion. people make different choices for different reasons.

So, let me get this straight and understand what your saying. You can afford the $100 dollars for the S7 but it's not worth you paying the $100 dollars? You like the S7 but not like enough to pay $100 when you got the S6 for less? Wow, great concept. Imagine that. So, what your saying is, just because one can afford something doesn't mean one is willing to buy it even though they can afford it.

I wasn't willing to spend $7.5k more on a 5.0 but I gladly dropped over $1k in airbrushing under my hood. Ba ha ha. All about what you want.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #608
Registered Member
Regular

Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #609
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I think you missed something here.

The question is directed to V6 owners to be answered by V6 owners.

Hearsay is non admissible.

Here's a good question for you. Why are there 5.0 owners that ALSO buy a V6??

Because they need cars for their 16 year old daughters.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #610
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Because they need cars for their 16 year old daughters.

Do a lot of 16 year old girls drive the 3.7? I only ask because I haven't seen any or.know of any!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:34 PM   #611
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I have a V8 - Yes I do - I love it - Yes I do

My Red Ryder is still a V6 but I just had to have a V8

Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V8 juice can.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	203757  
Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #612
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
My Red Ryder is still a V6 but I just had to have a V8

Ronnie
I usually mix in a little Geritol with my V8. Gives you more HP.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #613
Staff

Regular
Staff

Back in the day I'd make killer bloody marys with V8

sober 6 yrs!

I now make killer virgin marys 1x yr (New years day with steak and eggs one of my fav traditions)
Old 07-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #614
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The GT guys are 100% right because there is not anything better then a V8.
I drink mine un-modified but I see some like to do the mod's such as Geritol or booze.
Ronnie
Old 07-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #615
Registered Member
Regular

GT owners I think they drink the same Kool-Aid.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #616
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Doyal,
Are you going to the American Muscle Show next month?????
Ronnie
Old 07-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #617
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Hey Doyal,
Are you going to the American Muscle Show next month?????
Ronnie

Yes I am as a matter of fact. Are you?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #618
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I believe it's more of a financial obligation why you would get a V6 over a V8( I own both but they are older)just like why did you pic the 250k house over the 350k house,you sit down and figure out your monthly bills as to what it takes to be ok monthly and this will very if single or married and how much you put away for retirement witch should be figured in.
Now could I afford 550 dollar monthly payments,sure, but what does that take away from monthly expenses or is that 300 monthly payment seem better,of course the 300 is better it leaves you with a extra 250 a month witch if doing a budget would pay insurance and gas for the car and still be under the cost of the V8 monthly.........
Then you need to sit back and figure out why do you want the V6 or V8,my wife and I planned on adding a V8 convertible to our garage next spring but after driving both last week(2015s)I decided with what I wanted to do the V6 convertible would be just fine at our age for what we are going to use it for witch is cruising around,I have my sn95 GT for having fun being its built up.....
What it comes down to in our situation is the V6 will be a better fit then the V8 being its not a daily driver and we just want a nice convertible to enjoy......If I was 25-40,single and making close to 6 figures it would be a V8 all day long but having kids and adding obligations can change things.
We desided the V6 will be just fine for what we want a convertible for,who knows I might get a coupe insted not sure on that yet being we live in Mn.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #619
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Back in the day I'd make killer bloody marys with V8

sober 6 yrs!

I now make killer virgin marys 1x yr (New years day with steak and eggs one of my fav traditions)
Sober 12 years....
Old 07-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #620
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The questions again...

Take a stroll for yourself through a high school parking lot and you be the judge.

I must be at the wrong high school parking lots because I don't see V6 mustangs parked in the student parking lots.

I guess I never got the memo about that. Darn it. Thanks for educating me on this. Looks like it's time to get a V8 now.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #621
Registered Member
Regular

At my sons high school it's 3/4 pickup trucks and the other 1/4 of kids cars are thier parents old cars or new cars,I know one kid drives his mom and dads Vet once in awhile. Mustangs are far and few around here.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #622
Registered Member
Regular

No V/6 Mustangs here at the high school, mostly 4 door imports and SUVs.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #623
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe where Doyal lives all the 16 year old girls have the V6 mustangs. It must be that. Clearly those 16 year old girls have great taste.

Let us not forget that those V6 for the 16 yr old girls were bought my their GT owner father or mother.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #624
Registered Member
Regular

I can tell you where there is snow in the winter, no moms or dads are buying any 16 year old girls RWD Mustang, V/8 or V/6's.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #625
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
The questions again...

Take a stroll for yourself through a high school parking lot and you be the judge.

Umm lol are you in a high school or something ? If not *slowly reaches for the phone*.9..1..........
Old 07-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #626
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
OK, let's take a step back and just look at some specs... these are the best I could determine for the 2014 GT vs. 2014 V6 Mustangs, both without extra options:

Spec: GT vs V6
HP: 420 vs 305
TQ: 390 vs 280
Lbs: 3618 vs 3501
MPG: 18/25 vs 19/31
MSRP: $32210 vs $22510
Top Spd: 149 vs 113

For $9700, the 2014 GT offered an extra 115 HP and 110 lb-ft of torque while adding 117 lbs of weight. The GT will run 36 MPH faster than the V6 with the factory speed limiters. Since both models have 16 gallon gas tanks, the v6 could theoretically travel 96 miles further on the highway than the V8.

Good comparisons for 0-60 and quarter mile times are a bit harder to find. Motor Trend did test both a GT and a V6 in 2013, with a difference of one second even from 0-60, and 1.2 seconds/11.8 MPH on the quarter mile time. However, test results vary depending on the tester, conditions and vehicle...
(Source: https://www.0-60specs.com/ford-mustang-0-60-times/)

Now, for the things that are harder to quantify:
1) Most of us will agree that the V8 has a better sound than the V6.
2) With the marginally lighter weight, it could be argued that the V6 should be a bit more nimble. I did not find comparable slalom times, although I would think that there should be some out there. However, I admit that I don't have hard numbers, nor do I have any personal experience comparing the two on twisty roads. I suspect the actual difference is minimal.
3) Prestige. Based on this thread, there are a variety of opinions about what the type of engine under the hood says about the owner.

Other considerations:
1) The performance package will help the acceleration & handling of the V6 for about $1500.
2) Top speed of the V6 can be raised for the price of an aftermarket driveshaft ($700ish) and a tune ($400ish). A tune will also help a power a bit.
Those items add about $2500 to the price of the V6. At that point, the GT would cost an extra $7200.

Those are the numbers as best as I could determine. Are the advantages of the GT worth the extra money compared to the V6? Everyone has to make that decision for themselves...
Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #627
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It comes down to - Do you really race around as fast as the car can go all of the time???
Do you just drive brisk and do the "GET ON THE INTERSTATE" as fast as you can.?
Do you street race a lot?
Will you only be satisfied owning a V8?

My 2012 is a 3.7 V6 automatic with a 2.73 rear and it runs great.
It has won the people Choice awards at two different large car shows.
It has won the Daily Driver "GOLD" awards at two different shows.
It has won a one hundred dollar gift certificate at the first American Muscle show I attended.

Ronnie
Old 07-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #628
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
OK, let's take a step back and just look at some specs... these are the best I could determine for the 2014 GT vs. 2014 V6 Mustangs, both without extra options:

Spec: GT vs V6
HP: 420 vs 305
TQ: 390 vs 280
Lbs: 3618 vs 3501
MPG: 18/25 vs 19/31
MSRP: $32210 vs $22510
Top Spd: 149 vs 113

For $9700, the 2014 GT offered an extra 115 HP and 110 lb-ft of torque while adding 117 lbs of weight. The GT will run 36 MPH faster than the V6 with the factory speed limiters. Since both models have 16 gallon gas tanks, the v6 could theoretically travel 96 miles further on the highway than the V8.

Good comparisons for 0-60 and quarter mile times are a bit harder to find. Motor Trend did test both a GT and a V6 in 2013, with a difference of one second even from 0-60, and 1.2 seconds/11.8 MPH on the quarter mile time. However, test results vary depending on the tester, conditions and vehicle...
(Source: https://www.0-60specs.com/ford-mustang-0-60-times/)

Now, for the things that are harder to quantify:
1) Most of us will agree that the V8 has a better sound than the V6.
2) With the marginally lighter weight, it could be argued that the V6 should be a bit more nimble. I did not find comparable slalom times, although I would think that there should be some out there. However, I admit that I don't have hard numbers, nor do I have any personal experience comparing the two on twisty roads. I suspect the actual difference is minimal.
3) Prestige. Based on this thread, there are a variety of opinions about what the type of engine under the hood says about the owner.

Other considerations:
1) The performance package will help the acceleration & handling of the V6 for about $1500.
2) Top speed of the V6 can be raised for the price of an aftermarket driveshaft ($700ish) and a tune ($400ish). A tune will also help a power a bit.
Those items add about $2500 to the price of the V6. At that point, the GT would cost an extra $7200.

Those are the numbers as best as I could determine. Are the advantages of the GT worth the extra money compared to the V6? Everyone has to make that decision for themselves...
Excellent write up sir. So, the initial factory price difference between the 2014 5.0 and 3.7 was 9,700 dollars. So the real question for people, Is 9,700 dollars extra worth paying to own the 5.0 over the 3.7? Some say heck yeah and others say heck no.

We all know my thoughts on that. Lol! Each their own and no right or wrong answer.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #629
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
^ Thank you!

It is worth noting that for 2017 the price difference is less ($32645 - $24645 = $8000) and the HP difference is greater (435 - 300 = 135 HP). Torque difference is also bigger (400 - 280 = 120 lb-ft). It does make the GT more attractive to me... although that works out at $4000 per cylinder, or $59.26 per horsepower and $66.67 per lb-ft of torque.

Again, my personal decision for 2017 was to keep my current '14 V6 PP. But, that will be revisited in 2018... and it is possible that my situation will change and the next Mustang could be a GT. But, I'll cross that bridge when I get there...
Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 AM   #630
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Do a lot of 16 year old girls drive the 3.7? I only ask because I haven't seen any or.know of any!

Funny enough, I'd say 75% if the Mustangs I see in v6 form have a female driver behind the wheel, at least out here in the golden state. Not sure how many of them are 16...but I'd also go out in a limb and say they are usually under 25, and the high school parking lots out here do have quite a bit. But hey that's California.

Kona you know I love watching you be the worlds defender of the 3.7 but I think you need a vacation from it with all that money you saved not buying a GT.

I would also like to add this little bit because I think it needs to be said. FASTFORD, I feel like you immediately jumped on the new guy and attacked him. He never said anything derogatory or called anyone any names. Shame on you for doing that to a new member. It's experiences like that keep new members away and or puts them on the defensive.

I like to live by a single rule when I'm on these forums, don't say anything you wouldn't say to some one in person.

You might want to think about that. My guess is you have never gone to a car meet and told a v8 owner let alone any guy he had a small penis because of what he drives, because my guess is all that money you saved buying your v6 would be used paying your medical deductibles for the year after you take a pounding.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang