Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
At the time that I bought my 2014, to get a GT I would have had to go with a 2010 to keep it in my budget. I compared the HP and the 2014 has only slightly less than the 2010 GT. For those reasons and the better mpg since I drive a lot, I chose to go with a v6. Once I get done with school and am not driving as much I'm planning on getting a v8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locopony View Post
I owned a 2008 convertible with V6 and had a hard time selling it because everybody wanted the V8. I finally sold it to someone who said they were a hermaphrodite (No I am not a hater...really). I had to look that up too. And now I am loving my 14 Shelby.
The moral of the story is...if you buy a V6 Mustang it is all good and fine until you go to sell it because finding a buyer is about as rare as a hermaphrodite.

Wife says we'er keepin 'little pony' till the wheels fall off. She loves the little mustang.
Don't need a hermaphrodite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Bought a 14 V6 for a daily driver and better gas mileage. Got to say I love diving my mustang to work everyday, definitely helps when you don't feel motivated to go into work somedays - Mustang power people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I could afford a GT , just wasn't interested it. I like to be a little different and not drive what everyone else does.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:53 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Yes, my reasons for getting the V6 pretty much boil down to money.

First cost was less. Money.
Insurance is less. Money.
Fuel mileage is better. Money.

Would I enjoy the sound and power of the V8? Sure. Could I afford it if I made it a priority? Sure.

Do I need the V8? No. The V6 has plenty of power to do what I need to do. I don't race my car, so I don't need massive HP & TQ. The V6 is fast enough for me in both terms of acceleration and top speed. I use mine for a fun daily driver, as well as for long road trips. It will cruise comfortably at 100, and can accelerate very nicely from that speed by dropping a gear or two. The V8 would be overkill on the road trips... sure, it is capable of higher speeds, but those speeds are virtually unusable on the street. The extra acceleration would be fun but not necessary, and it would cost more every time I had to fill it up.

So, my decision to buy the new PP V6 a couple of years ago was an attempt at balance... let's face it, nobody needs a Mustang. I wanted a Mustang (another... I traded in my 2006 for it). However, the purchase of a somewhat impractical car was balanced out by getting a reasonably priced PP V6 instead of a GT. Leaves money on the table for other things... like the Ducati that I ride when I feel the need for brutal acceleration and an amazing sounding exhaust...

But, those are my reasons, for my car, in my circumstances. I don't begrudge anyone a fire-breathing V8 if that is what they want.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:37 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
Yes, my reasons for getting the V6 pretty much boil down to money.

First cost was less. Money.
Insurance is less. Money.
Fuel mileage is better. Money.

Would I enjoy the sound and power of the V8? Sure. Could I afford it if I made it a priority? Sure.

Do I need the V8? No. The V6 has plenty of power to do what I need to do. I don't race my car, so I don't need massive HP & TQ. The V6 is fast enough for me in both terms of acceleration and top speed. I use mine for a fun daily driver, as well as for long road trips. It will cruise comfortably at 100, and can accelerate very nicely from that speed by dropping a gear or two. The V8 would be overkill on the road trips... sure, it is capable of higher speeds, but those speeds are virtually unusable on the street. The extra acceleration would be fun but not necessary, and it would cost more every time I had to fill it up.

So, my decision to buy the new PP V6 a couple of years ago was an attempt at balance... let's face it, nobody needs a Mustang. I wanted a Mustang (another... I traded in my 2006 for it). However, the purchase of a somewhat impractical car was balanced out by getting a reasonably priced PP V6 instead of a GT. Leaves money on the table for other things... like the Ducati that I ride when I feel the need for brutal acceleration and an amazing sounding exhaust...

But, those are my reasons, for my car, in my circumstances. I don't begrudge anyone a fire-breathing V8 if that is what they want.
I couldn't agree more with you "Sterling S197" well said
Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Locopony,
You are 100% correct.
I can not get a single legitimate buyer for my 2012 3.7 V6 automatic Mustang.

I once offered it for sale right on this Forum for One Million Dollars
Not one response other then a guy wanted to pay with a Million dollar bill with Obama's picture one it.

I decided I'm just gonna be stuck with my "RED RYDER" for a very long time.
Ronnie
Old 06-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
My reason is pretty much the same as everyone else's which is cost. I bought mine with 18k miles with the bumper to bumper warranty entact. Unfortunately there were no V8's around that could match that price/options and warranty.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #44
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
I could see buying another v6 that had the Ford GT motor. I'm sure that would make for a very fun drive. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see an SVT/SHO Mustang with a high powered eco 6. Maybe marketed as a track day car.

I'd still have to have the V8 along side just for the wonderful sound my 2V makes, but the new Ford GT sounds very good in it's own right.

"Insert clever phase here"
Old 06-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
For me I can have a new premium package with twin turbos that makes substantially more power for the same price as a new 5.0. I understand a 5.0 is a better platform for crazy horsepower but not everyone wants crazy horsepower.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Good points Sterling

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Did my homework on the V6 and settled on a Base PP auto model for the sole purpose of modding. My car has been turbocharged making 426 whp 410 wtq on a single turbo 8 psi 93 octane. Sold that and went full bolt on NA with 4.10's and eventually will do a twin turbo setup using ecoboost turbo setup.
I'm 43 years old and could have easily bought a 5.0. Yeah so not everyone bought a V6 because they couldn't afford a 5.0, lmao. Some of us like to do things different then the norm. I prefer sleeper type cars, and actually wouldn't mind the new fusion sport awd with the 2.7 ecoboost.

My only complaint is the depreciation of Mustangs in general, doesn't matter if its a V6 or V8. For the price you pay they lose money like crazy unless its a specialty type vehicle.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 2013 V/6 and a Merkur XR4TI 2.3 Liter Turbo. It's nice to be different.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #49
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
People buy the V6 because they can't or don't want to pay the extra money for the V8 and all that entails. There is no other reason.

That is it! The other possible reason is that the person could afford it, but for some reason, the bank won't approve a 30k+ new or 20k+ used GT.

In my case for my previous V6s is bank approval. Nothing changed between the time I got my 2014 V6 approved vs getting my 2016 GT approved. Pay/job was the same. Still paid the same bills. Same living address.

I guess it's all about your tenure at whatever you have or doing. And if you keep up payments on the current car, then that can open the door for a better car in the future. Which was my case.

My thing is I hate putting a crazy amount of money down. Which can also slow your way to getting a 5.0. I put $1,000 down for my 2014 V6 and $3,000 down for my 2016 GT.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Join a Credit Union. The rates are better and not as much trouble getting a loan.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #51
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I did. All of my cars have been through credit unions. Lol

Old 06-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #52
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
To all those spouting off things like this

"I bought a v6 to be different"

"It's nice to be different"

"My v6 is a sleeper"

I would say this to you.

You are not different. In fact, you are the majority. If I saw 10 mustangs in a day, 7 of them are v6. Of those none are sleepers because people are expecting them to be a fast mustang.

So please stop saying these things. They don't hold water.

What Scotty said is spot on. You either could not afford one, or did not want to afford one.

End thread.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Well in my case I already had a Charger R/T that was fast enough for me.
Had a Solstice convertible that I loved as a toy but it was a little too light on HP.
Kept reading all the great reviews for the 3.7L Mustang with 305 HP, Performance Package, 31 MPG hwy and I loved the looks of the MCA grille.
So I decided to sell the Solstice(to make room for another car) and ordered exactly what I wanted from the factory. Paid cash.
At the time I didn't realize that I would be missing the sound an 8 cyl and for that reason alone, if I had it to do over again, I would buy the GT.
Some say just trade it in for a GT but I have grown too attached to my Ruby Red beauty to get rid of it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Well in my case I already had a Charger R/T that was fast enough for me.
Had a Solstice convertible that I loved as a toy but it was a little too light on HP.
Kept reading all the great reviews for the 3.7L Mustang with 305 HP, Performance Package, 31 MPG hwy and I loved the looks of the MCA grille.
So I decided to sell the Solstice(to make room for another car) and ordered exactly what I wanted from the factory. Paid cash.
At the time I didn't realize that I would be missing the sound an 8 cyl and for that reason alone, if I had it to do over again, I would buy the GT.
Some say just trade it in for a GT but I have grown too attached to my Ruby Red beauty to get rid of it.
Unless....a ruby red 2014 GT came your way....

Old 06-01-2016, 08:41 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Unless....a ruby red 2014 GT came your way....
I do think about that occasionally.
I could probably do that without the wife even noticing the difference.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I do think about that occasionally.
I could probably do that without the wife even noticing the difference.
If she asks why it is louder, just say you finally got to the end of the "break in" period.

Or if she asks what the 5.0 means, tell her that's your 1/4 time.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #57

Region: Arizona
The V6 is the best buy for the money...I drive every day and gas prices are due to go up very soon july is coming up. After i pass away my daughters get the car, never have to sell it. Yes its a family car.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
I could afford a GT , just wasn't interested it. I like to be a little different and not drive what everyone else does.
You realize that V6s were the highest selling Mustang, until the EB came out right?

I bought my 11 V6 because I couldn't afford a 5.0 at 18, who really can? Buying an older GT was out of the question once I looked up tech specs and quarter mile times. Why would I spend more to get something marginally faster?

I'm 20 now and was looking for white 14 GTs for about 3 months, waiting for the right one to come up. Never expected a Premium with 5k on it to show up at a local dealer.

Showed up on a Friday date after taking the wife out, she agreed to a test drive. Put her back her seat, she agreed that there was a clear difference, and picked it up Sunday afternoon.

TLDR: I couldn't afford one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
Old 06-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #59
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It looks like this thread has turned into
"Why did you buy your V8 instead of a V6?"
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
SR Performance Lowering Springs | J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines
BMR LCAs w/Brackets | BMR Panhard Rod Support | Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar
Old 06-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Did my homework on the V6 and settled on a Base PP auto model for the sole purpose of modding. My car has been turbocharged making 426 whp 410 wtq on a single turbo 8 psi 93 octane. Sold that and went full bolt on NA with 4.10's and eventually will do a twin turbo setup using ecoboost turbo setup.
I'm 43 years old and could have easily bought a 5.0. Yeah so not everyone bought a V6 because they couldn't afford a 5.0, lmao. Some of us like to do things different then the norm. I prefer sleeper type cars, and actually wouldn't mind the new fusion sport awd with the 2.7 ecoboost.

My only complaint is the depreciation of Mustangs in general, doesn't matter if its a V6 or V8. For the price you pay they lose money like crazy unless its a specialty type vehicle.

Spot on

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post

"My v6 is a sleeper"

I would say this to you.

You are not different. In fact, you are the majority. If I saw 10 mustangs in a day, 7 of them are v6. Of those none are sleepers because people are expecting them to be a fast mustang.

What Scotty said is spot on. You either could not afford one, or did not want to afford one.

End thread.

Maybe it differs from area to area but I can tell you that where I live nobody expects the sixxers out here to be fast and most people know my car is a v6. So people try to race me more often than if I had a GT because people actually expect those cars to be fast. Now I can afford to trade but my car in and get a GT, but honestly the only reason why I would want a GT is solely for the sound. Not everyone wants a GT man, in that case that's like saying that you guys got a GT because you couldn't afford a GT500 or didn't want to afford one. Personally I like seeing the shock on people's face when they see me beat them in a v6. Plus if I want to really go fast I'll just take out my bike.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #62
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
Maybe it differs from area to area but I can tell you that where I live nobody expects the sixxers out here to be fast and most people know my car is a v6. So people try to race me more often than if I had a GT because people actually expect those cars to be fast. Now I can afford to trade but my car in and get a GT, but honestly the only reason why I would want a GT is solely for the sound. Not everyone wants a GT man, in that case that's like saying that you guys got a GT because you couldn't afford a GT500 or didn't want to afford one. Personally I like seeing the shock on people's face when they see me beat them in a v6. Plus if I want to really go fast I'll just take out my bike.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

Yes, I got the GT because I couldn't afford or didn't want to afford a GT500. Same rule applies. In my case I didn't want to afford.

The argument that you bought and built a v6 mustang on purpose just to "beat" someone who I'm assuming is in a better car than you is ridiculous. No one believes you were sitting at the dealership and made that decision before you signed the paperwork.

If you are serious about racing people you would be an idiot not to buy the best platform possible or within your means.

The truth is that people buy these v6's because that's what they can or want to afford, then later they crave more power (by later I mean the next day after purchase) and they start modding the car and saying they want to be different and shock people with how they just beat a stock 5.0 and they spent 5k+ to do it. People are not impressed. They are laughing at you behind your back. Not because you chose a v6 mustang (nothing wrong with that) but because you are only fooling yourself with that garble.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #63
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I agree. And it sucks when you get to the end of that $5,000-$10,000 in mods, test drive a new 5.0 and see it is still worlds better. Then you take that monetary loss. For me, it was a good learning experience. I won't make that mistake again as I now have the car I always wanted.

Every day i grow more and more attached to it. Scary. Because now I worry about something happening to it. Lol

Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #64
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Yes, I got the GT because I couldn't afford or didn't want to afford a GT500. Same rule applies. In my case I didn't want to afford.

The argument that you bought and built a v6 mustang on purpose just to "beat" someone who I'm assuming is in a better car than you is ridiculous. No one believes you were sitting at the dealership and made that decision before you signed the paperwork.

If you are serious about racing people you would be an idiot not to buy the best platform possible or within your means.

The truth is that people buy these v6's because that's what they can or want to afford, then later they crave more power (by later I mean the next day after purchase) and they start modding the car and saying they want to be different and shock people with how they just beat a stock 5.0 and they spent 5k+ to do it. People are not impressed. They are laughing at you behind your back. Not because you chose a v6 mustang (nothing wrong with that) but because you are only fooling yourself with that garble.

This. And 99% of non Mustang enthusiasts can't tell the difference by looking at a v6/v8. It's not being different. I've yet to go somewhere in the country where V6's trying to be different did not out number v8s. You can't be different when your category is the majority. If you want a different V6, have a built, blown, sprayed sixxer. Now that is different, and very uncommon.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

I triple the motion. I can buy more, bigger, better, faster at any time but I love my PP equipped 13' 3.7 stang!
Old 06-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

"My v6 is a sleeper"

I would say this to you.

End thread.
The same could be said about a GT owner not owning the GT500, Boss 302, or Cobra Jet. Why would you buy a GT to modify it when those models are a better platform to start with. So step down off your pedestal. There are plenty of videos out there of 5.0's racing 3.7 V6's and getting beat (call it what you want), The V6 is more then a capable platform with people putting down 500 whp on the stock block/internals. Sorry you V8 guys won't ever get it, Ford does though. The best car in Fords line up boasts a 3.5 twin turbo V6, not even a V8.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The same could be said about a GT owner not owning the GT500, Boss 302, or Cobra Jet. Why would you buy a GT to modify it when those models are a better platform to start with.

I wouldn't afford a GT any how, I'd take a new 16 Camaro SS any day over the new 5.0
But I haven't heard 5.0 owners say "I got a 5.0 to be different, I'm tired of seeing Bosses and Snakes. Built not bought unlike those GT500 owners."

Oxford was just pointing out the obvious hole in some peoples logic.

I would also not buy the new 5.0, doesn't appeal to me. I'd buy a used Roush or GT500 for that price range.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
But I haven't heard 5.0 owners say "I got a 5.0 to be different, I'm tired of seeing Bosses and Snakes. Built not bought unlike those GT500 owners."

Oxford was just pointing out the obvious hole in some peoples logic.

I would also not buy the new 5.0, doesn't appeal to me. I'd buy a used Roush or GT500 for that price range.

Funny how these new 5.0 owners forget that the 3.7 V6 makes more power and torque stock then all the GT's prior to 2010 (2010 GT made the same power but a little more torque). But yet the 3.7 isn't a good enough engine to start modding for racing or anything. No one would ever buy a 3.7 V6 to mod instead of a V8. That's just more V8 narrow minded rubbish.

I think the multiple NA 3.7 V6's modded running between 12.2-12.7's and the nitrous cars running in the 11's on stock blocks is more then acceptable. Sure there are 5.0 owners who have done better, so what. Point is no one is expecting a V6 to run like that and everyone expects the 5.0 to.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
At the end of the day buy what makes you happy and don't worry about justifying your purchase to others. I bought my v6 for my own reasons and am happy with it for what I use the car for which is a daily driver.

While a v6 is a great car at the end of the day it will never be as good of a starting platform as a GT. Enjoy it and modify it as you please but your fooling yourself if you think it's extremely unique or different (same goes for 99% of GTs). Modified mustangs are a dime a dozen especially on Internet mustang forums.

I think the only real unique v6 I've seen is someone on here a while back that did a custom twin turbo build. Not to say I haven't seen any cool cars but none that are truly unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Funny how these new 5.0 owners forget that the 3.7 V6 makes more power and torque stock then all the GT's prior to 2010 (2010 GT made the same power but a little more torque). But yet the 3.7 isn't a good enough engine to start modding for racing or anything. No one would ever buy a 3.7 V6 to mod instead of a V8. That's just more V8 narrow minded rubbish.
More torque? Really? Are you that intimidated by V8 owners of any gen that you can't even bother to look up simple specs?

All I said was the "I want to be different" statement has no merit.

Can V6s be competitive? Of course. I love seeing modded cars period. I had a V6. I loved beating the snot out of it. I like seeing other Cyclone owners around town that modify their cars.

But when I ask them why they chose this to say a 370Z, STI, or a V6 Camaro they reply "I've always wanted a Mustang, this is the best I can afford" "I wanted to have a 13 second car with money to mod" or "This car is plenty fast for me", I respect their reasoning because it holds merit and just plain makes sense.

If I ever hear "I wanted to be different than the tons of V8 owners" trust me, I'll laugh and promptly walk away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang