Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #71
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I will never rag on someone for buying any car. If that is all they can afford then so be it. I will not shame anyone who uses their own hard earned money to buy a set of wheels that they like (given their price range).

I was in the same boat once. First bank approval I ever got was for $13,000. So i got my first 2008 V6 almost 5 years ago. My goal in the end was to not have a V6, but to eventually build up that loan/approval to carry a GT. Which i did by slowly going for more expensive Mustangs and keeping on-time payments.

That is my story. Others will probably have something different.

But just fyi, i went from 1 2008 V6 on my credit, to now having

1 2011 V6
1 2016 GT
1 2015 F150

On my credit. By keeping on-time payments for 5 years, my credit is now strong enough to carry all of that. And once those are paid, my goal is a house.

Of course i probably couldnt have got the 2011 V6 and 2015 F150 but others that rely on my need a set of wheels also. Like my wife, so that is just life.

I am PLENTY happy with my 5.0 and i will guarantee you I will drive it until the engine cannot turn over anymore. That is when you know you got the car you truly wanted.

Sometimes I go outside just to start the car and listen to it. Or i look out the window to see it. It is a great conversation piece and never to i get a bad remark unless it is from some Chevy snob. And even then, it's not a problem.

Sorry for my rant.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Talking

Can't wait for the "why did you buy the 4 cylinder question"
Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #73
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
The never ending V6 vs V8 thread.
This is just too much fun
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
SR Performance Lowering Springs | J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines
BMR LCAs w/Brackets | BMR Panhard Rod Support | Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #74
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I am cool with the ecostangs also. The engines failing worries me. But that is more on Ford/build quality/modding. I also don't like that Ford did not include a hood vent or something on the ecoboosts to allow some of that extra heat to escape.

Iirc, overheating was an issue due to the lack of paths for the heat to escape back when the 2015 first came out.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I bought my v6 so I could continue to support my gun and ammo addiction
Old 06-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #76
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post

A double threat!!!

Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #77
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
You could say you blow away the competition
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
SR Performance Lowering Springs | J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines
BMR LCAs w/Brackets | BMR Panhard Rod Support | Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar
Old 06-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Let's see, if I feel inferior to a V8 stang, I can make some easy lifestyle changes and get a 16', 5.0, or with a few more adjustments I can get a 5.2 Mustang or perhaps a 14' 5.8 Mustang. Keep on with the lifestyle adjustments I can step into Cobra Jet territory. But if I'm still not happy, I can sell my house, be single, have nothing but a totally custom IHRA engined Mustang! Would I be cool then? So STUPID!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #79
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
The same could be said about a GT owner not owning the GT500, Boss 302, or Cobra Jet. Why would you buy a GT to modify it when those models are a better platform to start with. So step down off your pedestal. There are plenty of videos out there of 5.0's racing 3.7 V6's and getting beat (call it what you want), The V6 is more then a capable platform with people putting down 500 whp on the stock block/internals. Sorry you V8 guys won't ever get it, Ford does though. The best car in Fords line up boasts a 3.5 twin turbo V6, not even a V8.

First of all, if you read this entire thread before you replied to this post you would have found that I said I bought a GT because I did not or could not afford a better model.

Had I wanted to spend 60k vs 28k I would have bought a GT500.

It's the same logic.

No one is on a pedestal. At least I'm not. I'm actually a pretty humble guy, and I have zero hate for a 3.7.

What I am saying is stop trying to fool yourself. You didn't buy a 3.7 because it was a tire shredder. You bought it because you wanted a mustang and didn't want or could not afford anything else. Maybe other things play into this like gas or insurance. Doesn't matter it is all the same reason.

So you should get that chip off your shoulder and read and understand what is posted before you go all crazy on people. I'm not hating on your car. I'm speaking to the real world reasons on why people bought the v6 vs the v8 (whole reason for the thread).
Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #80
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Lets not argue, Both are great engines and both are just plain fun in a Mustang.
Like I said in my long post, " I did not care weather my car was a V6 or V8 because I just liked the looks of my MCA the day I bought it."
If you just have to have a lot of horsepower, You can't beat the V8 in your Mustang.
If you want a Mustang that runs great on 87 octane, and gets good MPG along with less expensive insurance and Maintenance. The 3.7 Mustang is hard to beat.
Both are fine depending on what a person wants. Neither one is "BETTER" then the other as far as normal driving and just looking good like a Mustang should.
Ronnie
Old 06-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #81
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
Let's see, if I feel inferior to a V8 stang, I can make some easy lifestyle changes and get a 16', 5.0, or with a few more adjustments I can get a 5.2 Mustang or perhaps a 14' 5.8 Mustang. Keep on with the lifestyle adjustments I can step into Cobra Jet territory. But if I'm still not happy, I can sell my house, be single, have nothing but a totally custom IHRA engined Mustang! Would I be cool then? So STUPID!

Yes thank you for again proving my point.

You chose not to buy a cobra jet or a drag car because you could not or did not want to afford it. Bet you'd like to have one though wouldn't you? We all would. That's the point. No one is saying a v6 is inferior. Quit feeling sorry for yourself. That's not what this thread is about.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #82
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Lets not argue, Both are great engines and both are just plain fun in a Mustang.

Like I said in my long post, " I did not care weather my car was a V6 or V8 because I just liked the looks of my MCA the day I bought it."

If you just have to have a lot of horsepower, You can't beat the V8 in your Mustang.

If you want a Mustang that runs great on 87 octane, and gets good MPG along with less expensive insurance and Maintenance. The 3.7 Mustang is hard to beat.

Both are fine depending on what a person wants. Neither one is "BETTER" then the other as far as normal driving and just looking good like a Mustang should.

Ronnie

Always got nothing but love for you Ronnie!

How is Mario doing?

I loved my 3.7 when i had it. I will say that I will miss how familiar I was with my S197/3.7. It was it's own car compared to what I have now and I am relearning everything over again. Which is fun. But i can still do a quick spark plug change on those cyclones

I still have a 2011 3.7 tucked away in the family that I tinker with. This last weekend i cleaned the AFE air filter on it and detailed it. Forgot how short the throws were with the Barton.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
To all those spouting off things like this

"I bought a v6 to be different"

"It's nice to be different"

"My v6 is a sleeper"

I would say this to you.

You are not different. In fact, you are the majority. If I saw 10 mustangs in a day, 7 of them are v6. Of those none are sleepers because people are expecting them to be a fast mustang.

So please stop saying these things. They don't hold water.

What Scotty said is spot on. You either could not afford one, or did not want to afford one.

End thread.
I'm not sure I understand your gripe. I mean I thought the title of the thread was " Why did you buy YOUR V6 instead of V8"

Therefore the following are actually legitimate answers:

"My v6 is a sleeper

Doesn't matter if you agree with them or not because that's why they bought their car....
Old 06-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #84
Registered Member

Regular

Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick953 View Post
I'm not sure I understand your gripe. I mean I thought the title of the thread was " Why did you buy YOUR V6 instead of V8"

Therefore the following are actually legitimate answers:

"My v6 is a sleeper

Doesn't matter if you agree with them or not because that's why they bought their car....

Because those are not the actual reasons.

The actual reasons they chose the car they chose on the lot was because that's what they chose to afford. In some cases this may bleed into other reasons like gas, practicality, commute distance, insurance or whatever. But that all goes back to money. If we could all be driving gt500's or GT350's we would. But to say the actual reason they purchased their car was for those reasons mentioned earlier is nothing but a sub category reason. Something like this.

Well I bought my 3.7 because I didn't want to spend 7k more on a GT (main reason). Now that I own it and people are asking I tell them it's because I wanted to be different.

You guys can sit on the other side of your keyboards and say that's the truth and whatever but I have yet to meet a single real life person who has ever said that to me. Everytime they tell me why they couldn't get a GT and how they hope to get one in the future. That's just the truth.

If a GT was the same price as a v6 what car would you choose? Lol
Old 06-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
If a GT was the same price as a v6 what car would you choose? Lol
The V6, cause then I save money on gas and insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
Old 06-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #86
Registered Member

Regular

Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
The V6, cause then I save money on gas and insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was waiting for that. Again, still proves my point. 🐖🔨

By the way, my 5.0 averaged 25 mpg combined when it was my daily. Insurance for me was the difference between getting a super sized mc d meal. But I realize that's not the case for everyone.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

"Yes thank you for again proving my point.
You chose not to buy a cobra jet or a drag car because you could not or did not want to afford it. Bet you'd like to have one though wouldn't you? We all would. That's the point. No one is saying a v6 is inferior. Quit feeling sorry for yourself. That's not what this thread is about."

Ok Oxford 5 point whatever! You're just being A Huge ****** Bag with your comments. At what point do you have the reason or right to say "quit feeling sorry for yourself" . I'm going to date myself a bit here but so what: to quote Shania Twain " you probably kiss your car at night". What a dweeb this guy is!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Funny how these new 5.0 owners forget that the 3.7 V6 makes more power and torque stock then all the GT's prior to 2010 (2010 GT made the same power but a little more torque).
We definitely don't make more torque lol. 1994+ makes more torque than us.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #89
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Gas is such a minor thing though. Now that my 5.0 has some drive on it, i am getting just over 300 miles a tank on 93. About the same i was getting on my 3.7. Both have/had 3.73s and 19" wheels.

I pay a whole $25 more a month for my GT then i did with my 3.7.

I am not arguing. I just don't see those as crazy good justifications for others unless they are 18 or have a bunch of speeding tickets to where full coverage would be like $300+ a month.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #90
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
"Yes thank you for again proving my point.
You chose not to buy a cobra jet or a drag car because you could not or did not want to afford it. Bet you'd like to have one though wouldn't you? We all would. That's the point. No one is saying a v6 is inferior. Quit feeling sorry for yourself. That's not what this thread is about."

Ok Oxford 5 point whatever! You're just being A Huge ****** Bag with your comments. At what point do you have the reason or right to say "quit feeling sorry for yourself" . I'm going to date myself a bit here but so what: to quote Shania Twain " you probably kiss your car at night". What a dweeb this guy is!

It's oxford5pointoh 😉

Everyone here doesn't kiss their car at night?

I'm just being real with my comments. You are being childish. But hey that's your right. Just remember who helped you see the light 😎
Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Because those are not the actual reasons.
Only to you....

Quote:
If we could all be driving gt500's or GT350's we would.
Your generalizing, would I like one sure. Now ask that to my GF or her Dad they both like the mustang but could not care less about HP. So long as the car runs good and gets them to A to B they are fine.

Quote:
But to say the actual reason they purchased their car was for those reasons mentioned earlier is nothing but a sub category reason.
or cost could have been a sub category for them and they really bought it thinking they could do those things.

Quote:
You guys can sit on the other side of your keyboards and say that's the truth and whatever but I have yet to meet a single real life person who has ever said that to me.
Unless you can poll every person who has a mustang , whatever people are telling you does not make it true for everyone. You keep missing that point.

Quote:
Every time they tell me why they couldn't get a GT and how they hope to get one in the future. That's just the truth.
Maybe true for some but not all.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #92
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
It's been summed up and answered very well. There is only one answer to why 6 over 8. Money. In one form or another, money.

Gas mileage=money
Insurance=money
Sticker price=money

I don't see anyone hating on sixxers. Just a bunch of guys saying something we all know to be true. Everyones reason stated as to why they got a 6 over 8 was 100% tied to money. I'm no different, I don't have a GT500 because my wife would crap a brick if I spent, wait for it, that much MONEY on a toy. When I had my sixxer, it's what the budget allowed.

Answer to OP'S question and thread title: Money.

"Insert clever phase here"

Old 06-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #93
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick953 View Post
Only to you....

Your generalizing, would I like one sure. Now ask that to my GF or her Dad they both like the mustang but could not care less about HP. So long as the car runs good and gets them to A to B they are fine.

or cost could have been a sub category for them and they really bought it thinking they could do those things.

Unless you can poll every person who has a mustang , whatever people are telling you does not make it true for everyone. You keep missing that point.

Maybe true for some but not all.

Denial in not a river in Egypt
Old 06-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #94
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
It's been summed up and answered very well. There is only one answer to why 6 over 8. Money. In one form or another, money.

Gas mileage=money
Insurance=money
Sticker price=money

I don't see anyone hating on sixxers. Just a bunch of guys saying something we all know to be true. Everyones reason stated as to why they got a 6 over 8 was 100% tied to money. I'm no different, I don't have a GT500 because my wife would crap a brick if I spent, wait for it, that much MONEY on a toy. When I had my sixxer, it's what the budget allowed.

Answer to OP'S question and thread title: Money.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Old 06-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The majority of people who buys mustangs don't really care if it's a v6 or v8 they just want a mustang! I see a whole lot more of the 4.0 and 3.8 3.7s on the road than v8 s
Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
To all those spouting off things like this

"My v6 is a sleeper"

I would say this to you.

You are not different. In fact, you are the majority. If I saw 10 mustangs in a day, 7 of them are v6. Of those none are sleepers because people are expecting them to be a fast mustang.

So please stop saying these things. They don't hold water.

What Scotty said is spot on. You either could not afford one, or did not want to afford one.

End thread.
No the reason is some of us have long term goals. Rather than spending all their money on a car, some of us rather have a nice home in CT and a vacation home in Florida, and 2 condo's that earn rental income that will pay themselves off. I could have bought any Mustang, but why? I am investing in my future. Enjoy your Mustang but don't assume the others can't afford a V/8. We can, some of us are just smarter with their money. Cars depreciate.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #97
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
No the reason is some of us have long term goals. Rather than spending all their money on a car, some of us rather have a nice home in CT and a vacation home in Florida, and 2 condo's that earn rental income that will pay themselves off. I could have bought any Mustang, but why? I am investing in my future. Enjoy your Mustang but don't assume the others can't afford a V/8. We can, some of us are just smarter with their money. Cars depreciate.

Again money.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Again money.
No use your money for better uses that will last you forever. Don't put all you eggs in one basket. Homes and a better life style are much more important than what is under the hood.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie

Well put ronnie

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #100
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
No use your money for better uses that will last you forever. Don't put all you eggs in one basket. Homes and a better life style are much more important than what is under the hood.

Sigh. For a guy who is trying to tell me how smart he is, he sure can't read posts.

You are CHOOSING not to spend he money.

Again. Money. It's your reason.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sigh. For a guy who is trying to tell me how smart he is, he sure can't read posts.

You are CHOOSING not to spend he money.

Again. Money. It's your reason.
No didn't need a V/8 as most people can't tell the difference. When you get older you will figure life out.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #102
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
No didn't need a V/8 as most people can't tell the difference. When you get older you will figure life out.

Okay man. So first it was because you wanted to invest your money wisely, now it's because your not a whipper snapper and you have learned life lessons. Got it
Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay man. So first it was because you wanted to invest your money wisely, now it's because your not a whipper snapper and you have learned life lessons. Got it
Now you are catching on. Why have just one thing when you can have more and really enjoy life.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I wanted a used 360 modena or a f440 but I settled for a roush!!!! And it's not to be diff lmao. Not about the money and I don't really want to get into why. I understand what ox is saying. There are ppl that bought v6 and really don't care about the extra power a v8 has. Which is fine. then there are those ppl that say I bought a v6 so I can be diff or beat v8s or whatever they say but I agree that it does not make sense. Don't justify why u bought what u bought. Instead enjoy it and drive it with pride. There always gonna be someone with a better car that u wished u owned. This thread is ending up to be what all the v6 v8 comparison threads have been. Why can't we agree that either way they're all mustangs and this is a mustang forum and we're here for all the same reason. Just my 2 pennies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #105
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I gotta admit,
I would like to have a 2014 "SUPER SNAKE"
But still keep my 2012 V6
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang