Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8? - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Resale? V6 resale is horrible, same with EB.

Not to say 5.0s have an excellent resale value, but they don't depreciate as badly.

Buying cars hoping to make money off them is a lost cause anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locopony View Post
I owned a 2008 convertible with V6 and had a hard time selling it because everybody wanted the V8. I finally sold it to someone who said they were a hermaphrodite (No I am not a hater...really). I had to look that up too. And now I am loving my 14 Shelby.
The moral of the story is...if you buy a V6 Mustang it is all good and fine until you go to sell it because finding a buyer is about as rare as a hermaphrodite.
Shelby's are great cars until the amazing drinking problem it has plus for most the insurance is out of the world. The V6 is a great resale for everything it does without the gas guzzling/insurance issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Shelby's are great cars until the amazing drinking problem it has plus for most the insurance is out of the world. The V6 is a great resale for everything it does without the gas guzzling/insurance issues.

V6 is probably the worst resale out there lol. Mine plummeted in value.

Instagram: @v6beast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #144
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yea if it wasn't for my mods and Premium conversion, they would have offered like 12,000 for my 2014 V6. Seeing as I bought it new for like 26-27k and only had it for just under 2 years, that is TERRIBLE. My 2008 V6 got more trade-in value 4 years ago. Idk what the h*** happened. Dang recalls and such.

Glad I have my 2016 GT now and don't have to worry about trading it because I truly have something I really wanted.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 06-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
Resale? V6 resale is horrible, same with EB.

Not to say 5.0s have an excellent resale value, but they don't depreciate as badly.

Buying cars hoping to make money off them is a lost cause anyways.

The 400plus horsepower is keeping the gt value up. Popularity takes the gold. Car rentals kill the v6 market. They have 3 2015 v6 verts at the local ford dealer straight from the rental fleet all under 22k with low miles.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Sheesh, if someone has a mustang and loves it then they are cool in my book, even the white trash rednecks (jk). I agree about the money thing, but it's also a deal thing too. My first mustang was a v6, wanted the 5.0 just could not find one I wanted, was looking for the last of they previous model year for 0% and settled on The v6 after driving it. I made it my own then got addicted to modding and wanted more power. Insert same scenario and a great deal on a stage 2 Roush and the proceeded to supercharge and blow the engine. I kept it short but it was a s#### show of an experience. I then had massive negative equity and got a Lexus. I'm now back in the gt world and I did consider the ecoboost. I walked out the door with a killer deal and I knew I wanted the gt. I considered another Roush but it wasn't worth the extra $200/month. So really it was about money initially as insurance and gas is it that much more per year, but I got great deals in all 3 vehicles.

If you have a nice mustang be proud as you don't have to justify yourself to anyone.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
If she asks why it is louder, just say you finally got to the end of the "break in" period.

Or if she asks what the 5.0 means, tell her that's your 1/4 time.
Ha, ha. I'm thinking your wife does not read these threads.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflections View Post
Ha, ha. I'm thinking your wife does not read these threads.
Just need a wife that doesn't mind. As long as the bills are paid and money gets saved, mine doesn't question when things show up on the front porch.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Okay....heard to many times now..a lot of horse drivers out there would never want a V6..but when it gets down to it...its a lot of fun and plenty enough HP for the average consumer for the gas it burns and much lower insurance....be happy.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

My next horse is going to be the 350r.....lol

Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
This Thread went to 'crap' fast................

This thread was headed to crap when it was started..........

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #152
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
This thread was headed to crap when it was started..........

Might not have been so bad if it was only for V6 owners to participate. I own both, so I guess I don't really fit into the targeted group per se.

This thread certainly has rocked the boat a bit, but it is fun to have some spirited conversations sometimes.

"Insert clever phase here"
Old 06-04-2016, 12:15 AM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Yes, I got the GT because I couldn't afford or didn't want to afford a GT500. Same rule applies. In my case I didn't want to afford.

The argument that you bought and built a v6 mustang on purpose just to "beat" someone who I'm assuming is in a better car than you is ridiculous. No one believes you were sitting at the dealership and made that decision before you signed the paperwork.

If you are serious about racing people you would be an idiot not to buy the best platform possible or within your means.

The truth is that people buy these v6's because that's what they can or want to afford, then later they crave more power (by later I mean the next day after purchase) and they start modding the car and saying they want to be different and shock people with how they just beat a stock 5.0 and they spent 5k+ to do it. People are not impressed. They are laughing at you behind your back. Not because you chose a v6 mustang (nothing wrong with that) but because you are only fooling yourself with that garble.
Lol whatever you say man and it doesn't take close to 5k to beat a stock 5.0

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
This. And 99% of non Mustang enthusiasts can't tell the difference by looking at a v6/v8. It's not being different. I've yet to go somewhere in the country where V6's trying to be different did not out number v8s. You can't be different when your category is the majority. If you want a different V6, have a built, blown, sprayed sixxer. Now that is different, and very uncommon.

That's exactly what I'm saying an FI sixxer is much less common than an FI 5.0

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Funny how these new 5.0 owners forget that the 3.7 V6 makes more power and torque stock then all the GT's prior to 2010 (2010 GT made the same power but a little more torque). But yet the 3.7 isn't a good enough engine to start modding for racing or anything. No one would ever buy a 3.7 V6 to mod instead of a V8. That's just more V8 narrow minded rubbish.

I think the multiple NA 3.7 V6's modded running between 12.2-12.7's and the nitrous cars running in the 11's on stock blocks is more then acceptable. Sure there are 5.0 owners who have done better, so what. Point is no one is expecting a V6 to run like that and everyone expects the 5.0 to.

I couldn't agree more it's the surprise factor that I like. If someone gets beat by a 5.0 they're going to shrug their shoulders and not care because it was expected.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 AM   #156
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
Lol whatever you say man and it doesn't take close to 5k to beat a stock 5.0

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

What's it take? I'm going to guess more than what's in your sig, since none of that will help the cause.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:44 AM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I completely understand. People hear what they want to hear.

I'm not putting anyone down for driving whatever they drive. My point is and still remains valid, you drive what you drive because you chose to do so and the main reason will always go back to money. I'm not and have not said everyone driving a v6 can't afford a v8. I said you can't or don't want to afford a v8. Big difference. This guy chose to save the 7k and invest it. Cool. My point is still valid.

Everyone needs to stop taking everything so personal. That's the problem with our country. Everyone is so worried about everyone's feelings.

To those saying "oh can't we get along" blah blah so on ect. Whose not getting along? Well besides the people taking everything said personally. I'm sure not. Isn't this what a forum is about? Debating issues or questions asked?

No the problem is you saying its only because of money just accept the fact that some people like to start at a v6 platform like myself. Not everything is money related.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #158
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
No the problem is you saying its only because of money just accept the fact that some people like to start at a v6 platform like myself. Not everything is money related.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
But based on your sig it's not about performance or money. (This is me being facetious, not insulting)

If your statement about starting with a six is true, then you are still an outlier, with the overwhelming majority, I'd bet 98%+ being about money in one form or another. Out of every response to this thread, all but you were related to money in some way. Keep a cool head and realise that an anomaly does not effect the truth of money being a factor.

There has to be a reason your getting so worked up about the subject, I just have no clue what it is, but will listen if you'd like to tell us. Hell, you can send me a PM and tell me. (This is me not being a smart ***, but would really like to know and promote constructive dialog) You like your car, as you should. No one that I can tell is bashing you, your car, or you choice. We are simply making the point that 99% of people do not choose a v6 if money is no object in one form or another.

I'll follow up with, I currently own a v6, and V8 Mustangs. The V8 is a better starting platform. The v6 is marketed by Ford for those who can't or don't want to spend the money on the gt. The higher models are marketed to those that want to spend even more money to have something that much more. Different tier products for different peoples budgets. It's basic economics, and a sound business practice.

"Insert clever phase here"
Old 06-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #159
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I test drove the V8 and V6 and felt the V8 simply handled too heavy for my likes. I was coming from a Mazda6 V6 that handled very nicely and the V6 Mustang felt closer to the type of handling I preferred. Plus I would be stepping up from 225hp V6 to a 305hp car. At the time the only V8 available to me was with the base interior and the V6 had the premium. I had always wanted a Mustang since I was a kid and the 1965 fastback Mustang was released. I had never owned a fully loaded car in my whole life. The Mustang I purchased was the premium V6 with a great metallic gray paint job that totally popped in the sun. It handled better than the V8 for my taste, it is the most powerful car I have ever owned, and I finally have a dream car I always wanted since I was 15. Really, price had absolutely nothing to do with why I purchased my Mustang. It was simply fulfilling a childhood dream, having a fully loaded car that I had never experienced, a car that handled like the type of cars I've preferred to drive, and an 80hp bump from the Mazda6. So I guess I'm in that 2% and the exception to the rule, but we do exist and so does the motivation to get a V6 Mustang. I personally overall felt the V6 handled better than the V8, and in the end, control of any car has always been the deciding factor in my vehicle purchases. I hope that helped answer the OPs initial question. In the end, go for what you know and be happy with what you've been blessed with at this moment in time. Anyway you slice it, it all good
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
SR Performance Lowering Springs | J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines
BMR LCAs w/Brackets | BMR Panhard Rod Support | Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar
Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
What's it take? I'm going to guess more than what's in your sig, since none of that will help the cause.
Not much more for a NA modded V6 to beat a NA stock 5.0 (depends on stock gearing of 5.0, and manual or automatic of course), Ported intake manifolds, headers and driveshaft and way under $5k.

Throw on a nitrous kit and your talking 11's, easily competing with a tuned 5.0 and still under $5k.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

"V8 owner says"
The V8 is superior in every way and the V6 will never handle better then my V8 nor will it be faster unless to turbo or sc it but then I will do it to mine and be faster thanyou again so hah!
You are just biased towards your 3 7 and probably never driven a V8 in your life.
V8 or nothing!!!

Now that that's out of the way +1 on your post MustangDawg.
Wanted 1 since I was 18 and at the time they where running 225hp.
When I found out that the new 3.7s where running 305 from the factory that has great mpgs I was sold!
And Imo the best looking version of the stang to date (11-14)

Sent from the future.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #162

Region: California
Never even considered the GT due to the price. I only buy convertibles and the GT convert. is much too expensive, even used. I should mention though that I ride a motorcycle M-F due to its 50+ MPG and lane splitting; any extra cash towards the GT went to it instead.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #163
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8?

For the people that think 3-5k can make a v6 beat a lightly modded 5.0....

https://youtu.be/Eyzcmc-wI2c

About the only mod on the 5.0 was a tune.

My v6 had: Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro drop-in filter w/ stock airbox, BBK 73 MM TB, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, MPT 93R Tune, 3.73 Gears, BMR Rear Lower Control Arms, 1 Piece Aluminum Driveshaft, 255/40/19 goodyear f1 tires on 19x8.5 rims all around. Lastly, Borla S-Type Mufflers.

Even with bolt-ons, that extra 80-100 rwhp and torque becomes VERY apparent after 30 mph.

It's no good comparing a modded v6 to a stock GT. Anyone who races a GT mods also.

I am not bashing the v6, just pointing out the obvious. As I had to face this reality myself when I was in that video racing the 5.0.

Even after full suspension, mickey thompsons, and a few other small things, i was barely keeping up with a 5.0 to about 60-65. Then after that they would still pull away.

This is in Texas. Who knows, maybe up north it is a little different due to climate.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #164
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
There are a few of these running around,

If ya wanna go fast in a 3.7 V6, Just opt for one of these.
Central Florida Motorsports (((CFM))) and that will do it.
Ronnie
Old 06-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Not much more for a NA modded V6 to beat a NA stock 5.0 (depends on stock gearing of 5.0, and manual or automatic of course), Ported intake manifolds, headers and driveshaft and way under $5k.
Speaking from experience or reading across forum boards?

Lowest NA V6 I could find was a 13.0-1 sec, on drag tires, with a mod list a lot longer than that. I don't care if a V6 beats a V8, V6s can be faster than a bat out of hell, see the GT3 or GTR for example.

But to say "I can beat a 5.0 with 3 mods", get out of here.

If your benchmark of being "fast", is dumping money to get stock 5.0 speeds, I really think you should've spent your money otherwise.

Not telling you how to spend your money, just my opinion, just as you're entitled to yours.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
Speaking from experience or reading across forum boards?

Lowest NA V6 I could find was a 13.0-1 sec, on drag tires, with a mod list a lot longer than that. I don't care if a V6 beats a V8, V6s can be faster than a bat out of hell, see the GT3 or GTR for example.

But to say "I can beat a 5.0 with 3 mods", get out of here.

If your benchmark of being "fast", is dumping money to get stock 5.0 speeds, I really think you should've spent your money otherwise.

Not telling you how to spend your money, just my opinion, just as you're entitled to yours.

There's guys on other forums with full bolt ons, Na going 12.3-12.4.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #167
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post

They probably have a little more then a few thousand invested in those.

I talk from experience as shown above.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

This whole forum is going wacky............
Good entertainment though!

Sent from the future.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #169
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I need some popcorn and a large sprite!

Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

https://youtu.be/5Te0pw7sO_o

Not to bad for bolt on cars
Old 06-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #171
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I need some popcorn and a large sprite!
Extra butter and make it a diet Sprite lol.

Sent from the future.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
So more than a ported intake manifold, headers, and one piece driveshaft?

This is all you needed Zombieslayer, should've done this instead of wasting your money on a GT.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
For the people that think 3-5k can make a v6 beat a lightly modded 5.0....

https://youtu.be/Eyzcmc-wI2c

About the only mod on the 5.0 was a tune.

My v6 had: Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro drop-in filter w/ stock airbox, BBK 73 MM TB, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, MPT 93R Tune, 3.73 Gears, BMR Rear Lower Control Arms, 1 Piece Aluminum Driveshaft, 255/40/19 goodyear f1 tires on 19x8.5 rims all around. Lastly, Borla S-Type Mufflers.

Even with bolt-ons, that extra 80-100 rwhp and torque becomes VERY apparent after 30 mph.

It's no good comparing a modded v6 to a stock GT. Anyone who races a GT mods also.

I am not bashing the v6, just pointing out the obvious. As I had to face this reality myself when I was in that video racing the 5.0.

Even after full suspension, mickey thompsons, and a few other small things, i was barely keeping up with a 5.0 to about 60-65. Then after that they would still pull away.

This is in Texas. Who knows, maybe up north it is a little different due to climate.
Well if anyone in Alabama with a stock 5.0 wants to find out, we can do a video and post it up. I'm game.

If king 13 is stock and is willing to find out, I only live about a 1 hour south of him. I've got at around 4-5 cars in my local Chapter all with various mods and we all would be willing to run a stock 5.0.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You guys are all slow... I would eat u all up in reverse­čśÄ

Old 06-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

Clarksville TN has a eighth mile track, all we need is one clean pass and we can compare times.

I get my car back on Friday, Recon will be there as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang