Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8? - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
You guys are all slow... I would eat u all up in reverse

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I believe you! Better have a back up camera though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #177
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
Clarksville TN has a eighth mile track, all we need is one clean pass and we can compare times.

I get my car back on Friday, Recon will be there as well.

Looking forward to Friday!
Everyone else carry on with whatever this is.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I believe you! Better have a back up camera though.

Lol that was me just joking guys. I saw where this thread went so I wanted to have some fun as well

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I was wondering if this thread had gone to how come you didn't get a V8 you losers!
Old 06-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Speaking from experience or reading across forum boards?

Lowest NA V6 I could find was a 13.0-1 sec, on drag tires, with a mod list a lot longer than that. I don't care if a V6 beats a V8, V6s can be faster than a bat out of hell, see the GT3 or GTR for example.

But to say "I can beat a 5.0 with 3 mods", get out of here.

If your benchmark of being "fast", is dumping money to get stock 5.0 speeds, I really think you should've spent your money otherwise.

Not telling you how to spend your money, just my opinion, just as you're entitled to yours.

I agree ain't nobody beating a 5.0 with a good driver mod with jut just intakes and headers. But I raced my buddies 3.7 last night at the drags and he ran a personal best of a 12.9 on slicks and mild bolt ons. He's going for a 12.4 NA.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I agree ain't nobody beating a 5.0 with a good driver mod with jut just intakes and headers. But I raced my buddies 3.7 last night at the drags and he ran a personal best of a 12.9 on slicks and mild bolt ons. He's going for a 12.4 NA.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Full suspension too I'm assuming?

Again, I'm not saying 3.7s are slow, but to be ignorant enough to say that 3 mods and you're hitting 12.8, I'm going to call straight BS on that.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:04 PM   #182
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Here in Texas the stock 3.7 with stock 17s and 2.73s run 15-15.5.

Stock 5.0s run 13.8-14.3. Lightly modded 5.0s were at 12.9-13.5.

My car with everything in the end before i traded it ran 13.4-13.5.

My car was Auto. Tried launching at 0 rpm and tried another with a brake stand at ~2,000 rpm.

That was mickeys on the backend, full suspension (eibach pro/bmr), shorty headers, 3.73s, 1 piece driveshaft, some mildly lighter rims then the Performance Pack 19s, airaid intake, stock midpipe, borla atak axlebacks, bbk tb, mpt 93R tune, royal purple fluids, newish spark plugs, and maybe a few other small things.

All that was easily 5,000. Not including install labor on some of that. Possibly the only things you might change is midpipe and ported intake manifolds. But you still would only be beating a STOCK 5.0 by maybe a few tenths and still losing to bolt-on 5.0s.

I didnt win. Unfortunately i couldnt get my last runs on video before trading the car in.

But if your goal is to spend 6-8k to beat a stock 5.0, then just get a 5.0. Because at that point, you are at your ceiling before going spray or FI on the 3.7 and the 5.0 still can do lots of modding.

And if you do all those bolt ons and are at 6-8k then another 5-6k for FI, then you are at 12-15k on your 3.7. Putting you at around a well bolt-on 5.0. So you would still be fairly close. Because procharging still lacks really good torque.

Of course you can redo the entire 3.7 engine. But then you would only be justifying the 5.0 even more.

Just my 2 cents. Good car, good engine, but keep the 3.7 in it's own class people. Everyone wants to get a smaller powered car and try to contend with higher/more powerful platforms. Kudos, but it's a losing battle. Because again, 5.0s can mod too.

That is just the reality of it.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 06-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
From why did you buy a V6 to drag racing...someone pass me a beer

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

You can never replace displacement. More C.I---> (Cubic Inches, old school), one has the more torque you can get out of it...simple

Old 06-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #185
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Us old timers always had a saying,
"""YOU CAN'T BEAT CUBIC INCHES"""
It was true then and it's still true.

Of course you can even get a four cylinder to run a 11 second quarter mile, But after you mod it enough to do it, It is not a very fun street car anymore.

The 3.7 V6 with a turbo will run in the 10's with the proper gearing and a driver that knows how to drive, But take off the slicks and put street tires on it and your probably in the mid 11's but still fun to drive.

The 5.0 V8 Coyote engine just has it really good right out of the factory without touching anything at all.

I'm not saying it is a "BETTER" engine then the 3.7 V6 because it is """NOT"""
Both engines are excellent and fun to drive.
But the extra cubic inch V8 just has more power stock to stock.

I like both engines and I'm 100% satisfied with my V6. It is what my "Love at first sight Mustang came with but if it came with the V8, I would have bought it anyway.

How about some turbo four owners chiming in on this, It went off track already anyway.
Ronnie
Old 06-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Clarksville TN has a eighth mile track, all we need is one clean pass and we can compare times.

I get my car back on Friday, Recon will be there as well.

Let me hit my guys up and see if we can schedule something. We have a 1/8th down here also. By any chance is the drag strip open on a Saturday up there? Might be easier to sell a Cars and Coffe up there with a group, then head to the drag strip.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Quote:
Speaking from experience or reading across forum boards?

Lowest NA V6 I could find was a 13.0-1 sec, on drag tires, with a mod list a lot longer than that. I don't care if a V6 beats a V8, V6s can be faster than a bat out of hell, see the GT3 or GTR for example.

But to say "I can beat a 5.0 with 3 mods", get out of here.

If your benchmark of being "fast", is dumping money to get stock 5.0 speeds, I really think you should've spent your money otherwise.

Not telling you how to spend your money, just my opinion, just as you're entitled to yours.

Fastest NA 3.7 V6 ran a 12.26 by SmokinStanley (guy now holds world record for fastest 2.7 ecoboost F150 in the world on stock block and internals), only thing he didn't have was slicks or ported intake manifolds when he was racing his 3.7 mustang.

There are multiple people who have ran between 12.4-13.0 various mods and DA of course. All NA. There are lists out there and to be on the list you have to have a valid time slip with the date, etc. etc.

One of the NA people now runs a nitrous kit and runs 11.something consistently, races every weekend in Atlanta. Post vids on youtube under either Terry N Amanada or TB Built I believe. His latest victim last night was a 600 hp Audi, he posted a vid to the Cyclone Mustang page.

Then you have all the boosted people making between 400 whp all the way to 620 whp. The are running anywhere from 10.20 to low 12's (12 end is mainly the procharger guys because they don't make much torque on the 3.7).

Plenty of track and street race vids out there also of 3.7's racing everything.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #188
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
From why did you buy a V6 to drag racing...someone pass me a beer

It always gets to that. Any thread about a v6 mustang and a v8 mustang should just be considered a troll thread.

Don't get me wrong about the 3.7. I loved my 2014 and 2011. I really wish i could have kept all of them. 3.7 for commuting and 5.0 for the rest. But car payments are too expensive! Lol

Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

He actually ran a 10.9, I'm here with him he's who I get most my information from which is why I have so much faith in the v6.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1465099306.525413.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	202014

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
tonight for the first time in owning this car, I heard someone talking **** about it. I was parked two over from a pos 90s Toyota Camry with two dumbass kids smoking pot in it, saying "oh it's just a 6 banger. whats the point if it's not a v8." and legit laughing. funny thing is I have a very very bad anger problem, but I contained myself. I just looked at them while they talked **** and smoked in public and just listened to them talk crap about my car. it's funny, because why would you, in a pos car, talk about my nice *** car like that? like, why be a hater when you don't even stand a chance in your car? I just don't understand people. so rather than go apesh*t like I usually do, I decided beating someone wouldn't really be good tonight so I just drove off when I picked my friend up. didn't say a word. wanted to, but restraint is something I need to learn.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune,Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace,Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 06-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
tonight for the first time in owning this car, I heard someone talking **** about it. I was parked two over from a pos 90s Toyota Camry with two dumbass kids smoking pot in it, saying "oh it's just a 6 banger. whats the point if it's not a v8." and legit laughing. funny thing is I have a very very bad anger problem, but I contained myself. I just looked at them while they talked **** and smoked in public and just listened to them talk crap about my car. it's funny, because why would you, in a pos car, talk about my nice *** car like that? like, why be a hater when you don't even stand a chance in your car? I just don't understand people. so rather than go apesh*t like I usually do, I decided beating someone wouldn't really be good tonight so I just drove off when I picked my friend up. didn't say a word. wanted to, but restraint is something I need to learn.

They only said that when they were high, the only people that seem to know my car is a v6 are racers at the strip and ALL of them say these exact words, "oh those new sixxers ain't nothing to play around with they can actually put down some power.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 06-04-2016, 11:33 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Should've asked them out fast their turd hit the speed limit.

I had a run in with a couple of people that said similar remarks, or said "Mustangs are slow, I would've gotten X car instead", yet they're driving around in their 2003 Civic that they financed at 15% at a Buy Here Pay Here lot because that's their only option.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
yeah I just don't get why someone with such a crap beat up car thinks they have a right to talk **** about someone else's car. it astonishes me.

MPT Performance Tune,Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace,Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 06-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #194
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I would have threw dog poo at their car!

Old 06-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #195
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Funny how these new 5.0 owners forget that the 3.7 V6 makes more power and torque stock then all the GT's prior to 2010 (2010 GT made the same power but a little more torque). But yet the 3.7 isn't a good enough engine to start modding for racing or anything. No one would ever buy a 3.7 V6 to mod instead of a V8. That's just more V8 narrow minded rubbish.

I think the multiple NA 3.7 V6's modded running between 12.2-12.7's and the nitrous cars running in the 11's on stock blocks is more then acceptable. Sure there are 5.0 owners who have done better, so what. Point is no one is expecting a V6 to run like that and everyone expects the 5.0 to.

More HP?.. Yes!.. More Torque?.. No!.. Your 3.7 V6 has 315hp and 285 lbs Torque (if memory serves correct)!.. My 2004 GT (stock) had 265hp and 302lbs Torque!.. My 2006 GT has (it's still stock) 310hp and 310 lbs Torque!..

"Torque win races!.. HP sells cars!.." Mr. Carol Shelby

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Old 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #196
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
More HP?.. Yes!.. More Torque?.. No!.. Your 3.7 V6 has 305hp and 280 lbs Torque (if memory serves correct)!.. My 2004 GT (stock) had 260hp and 302lbs Torque!.. My 2006 GT has (it's still stock) 300hp and 320 lbs Torque!..

Fixed it for you.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Fixed it for you.
+1 👍
I put racing stripes and a chin spoiler on mine so I'm right around 320 tq now also. 😜
Sent from the future.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #198
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
yeah I just don't get why someone with such a crap beat up car thinks they have a right to talk **** about someone else's car. it astonishes me.

That GT grille didn't throw em off huh? 😉
Old 06-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
More HP?.. Yes!.. More Torque?.. No!.. Your 3.7 V6 has 315hp and 285 lbs Torque (if memory serves correct)!.. My 2004 GT (stock) had 265hp and 302lbs Torque!.. My 2006 GT has (it's still stock) 310hp and 310 lbs Torque!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..������

So I was wrong, who really cares, both those stock are slower then a modded 3.7 V6 with less torque and the same 1/4 stock for stock, lmao. So much for that torque theory. There something to be said about RPM band, differential gearing and trans gearing.

2004 GT ran a high 13 to low 14 1/4, and the 2006 GT ran around a 13.6 to 14.0 1/4 stock. My PP 3.7 V6 with less torque ran a 13.7 stock. If you even think either of those cars you mentioned stock could even hang with a 3.7 V6 modded, your living in a fantasy land or trying ot make yourself feel better because a 3.7 V6 can hang stock for stock with either of those cars and would definitely gap either of those GT if the 3.7 was modded.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
2004 GT ran a high 13 to low 14 1/4, and the 2006 GT ran around a 13.6 to 14.0 1/4 stock. My PP 3.7 V6 with less torque ran a 13.7 stock. If you even think either of those cars you mentioned stock could even hang with a 3.7 V6 modded, your living in a fantasy land or trying ot make yourself feel better because a 3.7 V6 can hang stock for stock with either of those cars and would definitely gap either of those GT if the 3.7 was modded.
Ouch!
I think you've hurt his feelings!
Again I'd take my 3.7 all day long over a 4.6.

Sent from the future.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
I'm a believer in the only legitimate way to compare the 6 to the 8 (or really any engine/car to any other) is stock for stock. Because once you get into "well with a few mods X car is faster the y car" you get into such a grey area. Every engine can be modified, just adding all kinds of additional variables.

"Insert clever phase here"
Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Your not ever going to hear me say a 3.7 V6 stock can beat or even hang with a new 5.0 stock in the 1/4, because that's just not true. But like I said before a tuned, geared and bolt on NA 3.7 can beat a stock 5.0 depending on the gearing of the 5.0, that's a fact.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let me hit my guys up and see if we can schedule something. We have a 1/8th down here also. By any chance is the drag strip open on a Saturday up there? Might be easier to sell a Cars and Coffe up there with a group, then head to the drag strip.
Where are you located? You said an hour away but your profile says Alabama. I'm basically on the border of KY and TN.

There's a Cars and Coffee in Nashville on Saturdays but I'm pretty sure the track is open to people competing in classes, and therefore costs more money and you only get 1 or 2 runs.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where are you located? You said an hour away but your profile says Alabama. I'm basically on the border of KY and TN.

There's a Cars and Coffee in Nashville on Saturdays but I'm pretty sure the track is open to people competing in classes, and therefore costs more money and you only get 1 or 2 runs.

Well after looking you up on the map I got Franklin and Clarksville mixed up. I was thinking you were right below Nashville. I live about 10 miles form the Tenn/Alabama border in Athens, right off I-65.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Seeing as you want to throw mods out there!.. The one with deeper pockets wins!.. With that said!..

Why are threads like this always started by the V6 crowd?... Why do we never see a thread titled, "Why did you get a GT instead of a Shelby?.." Does the V6 crowd really need that much justification because they simply got what they can easily afford?...

Yes I could easily finance a New/Newer V6 Premium!.. But I opted to own Two Mustangs of Two different generations instead!.. And both being V8s!.. Why??... Because it's what I can easily afford!.. And I now have Two Mustangs to choose to drive!.. And not just one!..

I'm glad your 3.7 V6 is faster than my '04 GT and can keep up with my '06 GT!.. And it should!!!! It's a much newer design with a lot more Tech involved in both the engine and transmission!.. It's called Progress!..

Guess what?!?... In about 10 yrs I'm sure Ford will have a smaller NA motor than your V6 that will put down similar numbers as it!.. And when modded, will easily Gap your car!.. Lol.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Ouch!
I think you've hurt his feelings!
Again I'd take my 3.7 all day long over a 4.6.

Sent from the future.

Yes my feelings are hurt because a newer car is faster!.. And oh ya, I own my cars and didn't finance them!.. Yup, really hurt there!.. 😉

Old 06-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

All in all....the 5.0 owners cant pick on the 5.4 & 5.8 owners because the know they will not get anywhere with them....so lets pick on the 3.7 owners.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
All in all....the 5.0 owners cant pick on the 5.4 & 5.8 owners because the know they will not get anywhere with them....so lets pick on the 3.7 owners.

Why just limit to the 5.4 and 5.8??... Don't forget about the VooDoo!.. Lol. 😜

Old 06-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes my feelings are hurt because a newer car is faster!.. And oh ya, I own my cars and didn't finance them!.. Yup, really hurt there!.. 😉

Nice lol. But I thought tq wins races?😜

Don't be butt hurt that a 3.7 can keep up with a 4.6, hell an 2.3 mustang 4 banger can beat a 3.7 stock for stock, no tears here, its just how it is!
Btw that means the new 4 banger should take out a 4.6.
That should hurt more. 😁

Sent from the future.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

Because I gap bolt on yotes every weekend

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang