Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Why did you buy your v6 instead of a v8?

I bought mine because it was cheap mainly. Got a car in excellent condition, that has some zip, for a little over 10k. I'd love to have a v8 but just can't justify dropping the extra 15k to get me in one. Maybe one day...

As an added bonus it's a very comfortable ride for long trips, looks good, and is fun to mod.

Why'd you buy yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 04:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I bought mine over the GT for insurance and mpg (78 mile round trip everyday and with the mods on it I can still get 28mpg when I want to)
Old 05-31-2016, 05:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I loved the body change for 2010. I joined my first Mustang Forum in 2009. I was looking at a 2010 GT, then started hearing about the 2011 V6 with 305 horsepower and 6 speed transmissions. My next car was going to have at least 300 horsepower, this was a personal goal i had set for myself. I ordered my 2011 V6 in Feb. 2010 and arrived in May 2010. I ordered it with every option except for the glass roof, i didn't want it 25,000 miles later, i couldn't be happier.

The reason why the 2010's didn't have the new transmissions and new engines were because the 5.0 wasn't ready yet. I knew the 3.7 (Lincoln)was a tried and true engine from the very beginning. This is why i never considered the 5.0. Like i said before, my goal for my next car was to have at least 300 horsepower
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Though the 5.0 is a nice car just couldn't afford the extra 8 grand for one got my 2012 with 17000 mile for about the same price as i payed for my 09 v6 with some money down and trade in.All in all very happy with the v6
Old 05-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I could've have afford the 5.0 monthly payments, but I could not afford the insurance on it. So I got a 11 V6 with every option on it plus glass roof

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
People buy the V6 because they can't or don't want to pay the extra money for the V8 and all that entails. There is no other reason.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
People buy the V6 because they can't or don't want to pay the extra money for the V8 and all that entails. There is no other reason.
That about sums it up. If money is not in the equation there is zero reason to get anything other than the V8. I challenge anyone to try and come up with just one reason that doesn't involve cost.

"Insert clever phase here"
Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I got mine because of it's low carbon footprint.

do you believe me?

I will say Slicks 15K is kinda of a high number but assume it cause he got one heck of a deal. Mine would have been about 6k more if I got the V8, ya it's a better car and like many V6 owners I have the occasional regret but If I had to buy new today idk if I'd be willing to pony up (intended) the extra $ for the extra cyls.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...post4261510322
Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Fuel mileage mainly. Then the reliability and maintenance of the 3.7.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Didn't want a car payment. Bought my 13 new. Trade + cash down, walked away title in hand.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
That about sums it up. If money is not in the equation there is zero reason to get anything other than the V8. I challenge anyone to try and come up with just one reason that doesn't involve cost.

Fuel Mileage 😂😂

Old 05-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #12

Region: Virginia
Price and Insurance cost. If I could have found a decent SN97 GT, Mach 1 or Bullet I would have gone that route instead. The V-6 I have is everything I wanted in a mustang and more. So no complaints or regrets...so far.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
A nice $140.00 per month car payment for a 2013 V/6 with the Performance Pkg that had 18k on it was the reason. Didn't want to spend the extra money when the V/6 handled just as well as the GT, and with a few inexpensive mods you could pick up another 30 to 50HP. That is all you really need to still get yourself in trouble.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Bought my V-6 '14 new. Considered the 8, but since the car is my daily driver and I don't race on public roads, there's no reason to pay the extra expenses, including the tickets I'd probably get. For my needs the V-6 has ample power.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Bought my 14 v6 Prem SGM vert new 9/1/14. Dealer also had GT Prem SGM Vert, identical except interior color. Sticker was $9K more for GT, PLUS at the time V6s had $4K rebate.
This is my retirement car (not DD). Had the money, & GT sounded great & went faster, but just was not worth it (+$13K) to me at this time in my life.
My V6 fits my life style just fine.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
V6 justification

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Then they mod the hell out of the V6 s toi emulate the V8 and end up blowing the motor. When that happens the extra cost of the V8 doesn't seem so bad.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I got my Mustang by accident in 2011

My warranty was up on my Mini JCW and it was $3,500 to extend for 2 years.
Decided to look at a Focus Titanium - ( Not tracking anymore anyway)
A rainy stormy Sunday I drove up to the Ford Dealer
Of course a Salesman rushed me as soon as I pulled in.
I told him, " Give me a card and I'll see if something jumps out on me"
I looked at all of the many Ford Focuses and seen none I wanted.
Walking back to my car, I spotted the best looking Mustang in the world.
I walked over to see it up close and the car was $33.000 with the dealer add ons.
It was a "Mustang Club of America" and Love at first sight.
I did not care if it was a six or eight, My Mustang said-" Please take me home.
Impossible because it was out of my price range
I was walking back to my car when the sales guy came out and said -"Anything jump out at you?"
I said - "YES" and described the Mustang. He said "Ya wanna drive it?"
I said "NO" I can't afford it. He said "What do you want to pay?
I said $4,500 and my Mini ---OUT THE DOOR
We went in because it was raining hard now and started the negotiating.
1st. $10,000 plus tax and crap
2nd. 7,500 plus tax and crap
3rd. it was $6,000 and they pay all the crap.
I pick up my keys and headed for the door, Sales guy right behind me.
He asks again "What do I want to pay???? I told him again $4,500 out the door.
He did one more trip to the "BOSS" and game back after they called in another "BOSS" and studied the computer and said if I bought the car and took it home today They would go $5,000 and my 2009 Mini """OUT THE DOOR"""
Of course I said """YES""" and drove my Mustang home.
I did buy the extended 7 year 70,000 mile extended warranty at the same time and got a free T-shirt and Mustang cap. It turned out to be a great rainy day for me.
The mods I did are listed and I have won a few awards at Car shows as well as getting to go to the American Muscle all Mustang show 2012, 2014,2015 I missed only 2013 because of my cancer treatments or I would have been there.

Anyway, My dog Mario loves my Red Ryder as much as I do.
I don't even think of another Mustrang.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maple Grove Ticketing.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	201814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Daytona Mustang.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	201815  

Name:	Longwood rain Mustang.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	201816  
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The V6 again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
A nice $140.00 per month car payment for a 2013 V/6 with the Performance Pkg that had 18k on it was the reason. Didn't want to spend the extra money when the V/6 handled just as well as the GT, and with a few inexpensive mods you could pick up another 30 to 50HP. That is all you really need to still get yourself in trouble.
I appreciate one's concern for cost and their own financial condition,But you still don't have the throaty, torquey V-8. It is a maddening situation.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

7 year warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
My warranty was up on my Mini JCW and it was $3,500 to extend for 2 years.
Decided to look at a Focus Titanium - ( Not tracking anymore anyway)
A rainy stormy Sunday I drove up to the Ford Dealer
Of course a Salesman rushed me as soon as I pulled in.
I told him, " Give me a card and I'll see if something jumps out on me"
I looked at all of the many Ford Focuses and seen none I wanted.
Walking back to my car, I spotted the best looking Mustang in the world.
I walked over to see it up close and the car was $33.000 with the dealer add ons.
It was a "Mustang Club of America" and Love at first sight.
I did not care if it was a six or eight, My Mustang said-" Please take me home.
Impossible because it was out of my price range
I was walking back to my car when the sales guy came out and said -"Anything jump out at you?"
I said - "YES" and described the Mustang. He said "Ya wanna drive it?"
I said "NO" I can't afford it. He said "What do you want to pay?
I said $4,500 and my Mini ---OUT THE DOOR
We went in because it was raining hard now and started the negotiating.
1st. $10,000 plus tax and crap
2nd. 7,500 plus tax and crap
3rd. it was $6,000 and they pay all the crap.
I pick up my keys and headed for the door, Sales guy right behind me.
He asks again "What do I want to pay???? I told him again $4,500 out the door.
He did one more trip to the "BOSS" and game back after they called in another "BOSS" and studied the computer and said if I bought the car and took it home today They would go $5,000 and my 2009 Mini """OUT THE DOOR"""
Of course I said """YES""" and drove my Mustang home.
I did buy the extended 7 year 70,000 mile extended warranty at the same time and got a free T-shirt and Mustang cap. It turned out to be a great rainy day for me.
The mods I did are listed and I have won a few awards at Car shows as well as getting to go to the American Muscle all Mustang show 2012, 2014,2015 I missed only 2013 because of my cancer treatments or I would have been there.

Anyway, My dog Mario loves my Red Ryder as much as I do.
I don't even think of another Mustrang.
Ronnie
I'll bet you made the F&I guy happy with that warranty.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Bravo Zulu ("Wll done!"), Reflections! Best wishes for your treatments as well.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Multiple reasons:
1. I am only 28, when I bought the car almost 3 years ago brand new it made more sense financially
2. I haven't really been able to settle down in 1 location for more than 2 years, so it made more sense to have better MPG. As of right now it looks like I will be continuing to move around the country for the next several years as I work on moving up.
3. I wanted to have money to mod the car (again all of this based off of my initial salary at time of purchase) and still be able to do pretty much whatever I want, whether it's going on vacation, music festivals, taking a date out, etc.

It will probably be a long while before I get another mustang, but if I do it will most likely be on the upper echelon of what Ford has to offer at the time (hopefully by that time their engines will be much better).

Satin Black Borla S-Types | Satin Black MCA 18" Wheels | Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers | Whiteline Adjustable Panhard Bar | GT500 Spoiler | Cervini GT500 Upper & Lower Grilles | SHR Quarter Window Louvers | RTR Decklid
Old 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #22

Region: New Jersey
I wanted the convertible for cruising and enjoyment. V6 has a fair amount of power so didn't warrant the V8 as with the convertible option, the V8 would have been significantly more expensive.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

the Warranty was worth it to me.

I did get the $5,000 I borrowed from Ford Credit for Zero % because I bought the warranty and the warranty cost me $900.00 for bumper to bumper,
I do plan on keeping my Mustang for a very long time so extending the """FACTORY"""" Warranty to 7 years and 70,000 miles is worth it to me , even if I never use it. I really hope I never do.
I don't track or auto-X with this car, ( Those days are gone because of health issues) The 3.7 V6 is fine and it does run crisp and sound OK with the Magnaflow streets I have on it.
With the deal I got when I bought this Mustang, The $900.00 warranty was like a gift.
I don't plan on tuning it, I don't plan on doing engine Mods so this works out good for me.
Hey, Don't forget I squeezed out a $20,00 Mustang cap and a $15,00 T-shirt out of them.
Ha! Ha!
I really don't miss having a V8, although I do love them. I just don't have the need for one and if my car had the V8 , It would still be mine because I just like the car. I still look back when parking just to admire my Red Ryder Mustang.
This 3.7 six may just be a six, but it is one great engine and way better then the V8 monster motors of the past. Some may argue but I had big engine cars and believe me that they were fun but not 100% reliable all the time. I still hate Corroborators , Points, and adjusting Valves.
Gas was cheap but you usually only got about 10 MPG ( Less if you drove it properly) Maybe 13 or 14 on the highway.
I get 22 to 24 around town and 30+ ( 87 octane) on the highway with my V6. This is nice but if I did have the V8 I would still drive it and enjoy it without worrying about MPG.
My Mario likes my Mustang and thats all that counts.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040863.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	988.2 KB
ID:	201817   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050030.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	887.8 KB
ID:	201818  

Name:	Mario cool 5X7.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	201819  
Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
$10,000 for a 2011 certified used V6 w/warranty and 50K on it. The equivalent GT was a minimum of double that in my area. I also daily it, so lower gas and insurance costs. Mostly it was the initial investment cost though. Didn't want that on top of my SHO payments.

Ronnie, I seriously want to kidnap your Corgi for a weekend. Reminds me of Ein.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
$10,000 for a 2011 certified used V6 w/warranty and 50K on it. The equivalent GT was a minimum of double that in my area. I also daily it, so lower gas and insurance costs. Mostly it was the initial investment cost though. Didn't want that on top of my SHO payments.
thats a great price! thats what my 06 cost
Old 05-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
thats a great price! thats what my 06 cost
Pure luck. No one in their right mind would buy a Mustang in December/January in Michigan. Fortunately I'm not sane, and the dealership was willing to haggle.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I got mine because of it's low carbon footprint.

do you believe me?

I will say Slicks 15K is kinda of a high number but assume it cause he got one heck of a deal. Mine would have been about 6k more if I got the V8, ya it's a better car and like many V6 owners I have the occasional regret but If I had to buy new today idk if I'd be willing to pony up (intended) the extra $ for the extra cyls.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Sure Pinocchio, we all believe you!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------

Less Speed = Less Chances of Going to Jail.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

the only thing i like about the 3.7 above the 5.0 is weight, especially over the nose. Having both on track, the 3.7 feels more like its dancing, whereas the 5.0 is a workout haha. The 5.0 was obviously a lot faster, but the 3.7 is no slouch, and for a lot less physical effort. A lot of this also comes down to less power and less weight needing less tire, less brake, etc...

As much of a Ford fan as i am, i think its awesome chevy is offering the 1LE packing on the v6. It only takes about 300 hp to be really competitive on track, so the less weight the better. I wish Ford would do the same thing with the Mag ride from the GT350. Itd probably end up being a $30k v6 which would be stupid, but get it around 3000 lbs, 300 hp, 14" brembos, mag ride... thing would be ****in dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

You can do enough to go to jail in a prius... the only difference is how long it takes to get there.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #30

Region: Colorado
I do field service and drive a lot. I went to the dealer to look at Fusions, but they were a little too much. With the $4k rebate ford offered at the time, and a big dealer discount to make room for the 2015s, my V6 with Tech package cost less than a stripper Focus. I actually love this car. Good mileage and a lot of fun to drive. That's not to say I wouldn't love a GT more.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
Fuel Mileage 😂😂

Fuel mileage isn't an issue if money is not involved, buy more gas!

Old 05-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Not true, plenty of 109hp civic guys get in plenty of trouble....

Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

2 more cylinders equals how much less life!?!

2 more cylinders equals how much less life!?!
With a house, 3 cars, a boat, a camper and a time share, how much "more" does one person need? For me, not 2 "more" cylinders!
Old 05-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Needed a commuter car so mustang plus 30mpg for 18k new= no brainer best of both worlds
Old 05-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #35

Region: Canada
I owned a 2008 convertible with V6 and had a hard time selling it because everybody wanted the V8. I finally sold it to someone who said they were a hermaphrodite (No I am not a hater...really). I had to look that up too. And now I am loving my 14 Shelby.
The moral of the story is...if you buy a V6 Mustang it is all good and fine until you go to sell it because finding a buyer is about as rare as a hermaphrodite.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang