Fuel additives - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Fuel additives

I've always felt it was a good idea to clean the tank and injectors now and then. However, the owners book recommends that you not use any additives to your fuel.

So my question is, do you? Don't you? Have you? What results have you gotten if you did? Good or bad?

Thanks!
ajkillgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I occasionally run a bottle of Techron through the fuel system now and then. No difference that I could notice.

During initial break-in, I added a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel; no issues there.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I too use Techron, I aim for every oil change(5k miles). Used it in my '05 4.0 and now in my '11 3.7
Wheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
No I don't

except for Stabil when it sleeps for winter
Old 06-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Throw a can of lucas in once a year or so. Never noticed any difference, so why do I keep doing it? Who knows....it took me forever to get past the 3000 mile, 3 month oil changes..
Old 06-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I use Techron too. It helps with protecting the fuel system.
peter123wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I run a lot of fuel through my DD. I was adding a cleaner one day during one of my weekly fillups when the station owner came out and told me I was wasting my money. He says the amount of additives they put in fuel now days is more than adequate to keep the fuel system in check.

This dude was an old school motor head and into fuel for many decades. Like many I really didn't noticed any difference and I guess it doesn't hurt but I quite doing it and 26k later my 14 runs as good as ever... Well after the tune better than ever for the last 5k....IMO
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
I run a lot of fuel through my DD. I was adding a cleaner one day during one of my weekly fillups when the station owner came out and told me I was wasting my money. He says the amount of additives they put in fuel now days is more than adequate to keep the fuel system in check.

This dude was an old school motor head and into fuel for many decades. Like many I really didn't noticed any difference and I guess it doesn't hurt but I quite doing it and 26k later my 14 runs as good as ever... Well after the tune better than ever for the last 5k....IMO
Well if this station owner runs one of the "Top Tier" gas stations, I can believe his statement.
"In 2004, several automobile manufacturers responded to the dropping levels of detergent additive
found in gasoline brands by creating a new standard called Top Tier gasoline, “Seven of the
world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz
and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough
to ensure optimal engine performance” (Toptiergas.com). These companies recommend the high additive
fuels to ensure their own vehicles perform better."
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just run some Techron every August on my long highway trip up to Pennsylvania from Florida.
I feel the steady interstate driving gets the injectors nice and clean.
I do try to stick with Shell 87 octane when I fill up. If I can't find a Shell station I'll go for an Exxon or Chevron.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang