Looking for Confirmation on Future Performance Mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looking for Confirmation on Future Performance Mods

So basically I've done quite a bit of reading on these forums regarding my next performance mods, which probably won't be until next year and I just want some confirmation from smarter people than myself.

End goal, at this time, is to get a procharger, which will push the stock engine to anywhere from 400 - 420 HP. Since I won't be getting that until after my warranty is up (this car is my current DD) I am just going to build up everything else so that when I get the procharger my mustang will be able to handle the power as effectively and safely as possible. As of right now, this will just be for street use only, no track use.

Current performance mods:

Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers
Whiteline Adjustable Panhard bar

Next year's mods:
Whiteline Adjustable Upper Control Arm
Whiteline Adjustable Lower Control Arms
Centric Premium Brake Rotors
Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads
Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Are those parts appropriate for what my planned uses are at this time? Are there better choices that I missed?

References for brake decisions:
Voltwings post #12: Good brake setup for non track GT
BadCon - Posts #27 & #32 Brake upgrade for better stopping power: just pads or full kit?
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
When I lowered my 2014 1", I did not need adjustable lower control arms. I had the fixed lower control arms with the relocation brackets and everything was in-spec.

What about a nice set of shorty headers to make those S Types a hair deeper? No tune needed.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
When I lowered my 2014 1", I did not need adjustable lower control arms. I had the fixed lower control arms with the relocation brackets and everything was in-spec.

What about a nice set of shorty headers to make those S Types a hair deeper? No tune needed.
Yeah I may not need the adjustable control arms, but I'd rather have them already on just in case I needed them to be adjustable in the future.

I may get shorty headers too, but my main focus right now is making sure I am making the right decisions on my suspension/brake upgrades.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If money is not an object, the Adjustable lowers are fine, but quite honestly I would save the money. A quality set of lower control arms and relocation brackets will serve you just fine.
Also, when switching to an aftermarket upper control arm (adjustable is good on this one if you ever get a 1 piece driveshaft) it is usually a good idea to switch to an upgraded mount as well, as some have reported a really bad clunking when pairing an aftermarket arm with the stock mount.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If money is not an object, the Adjustable lowers are fine, but quite honestly I would save the money. A quality set of lower control arms and relocation brackets will serve you just fine.
Good to know, I will look into that and talk with my auto shop when the time comes and listen to their input as well.

Quote:
Also, when switching to an aftermarket upper control arm (adjustable is good on this one if you ever get a 1 piece driveshaft) it is usually a good idea to switch to an upgraded mount as well, as some have reported a really bad clunking when pairing an aftermarket arm with the stock mount.
1 piece driveshaft will definitely be added later on (among other things) as I get closer to getting the supercharger. As far as the upper control arm mount goes, the whiteline adjustable upper comes with the mount included, but thank you for the info. I was unaware of those issues
Old 06-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Watts link, bigger/adjustable sway bars, 1 piece DS, and a nice set of wider wheels should set you up nicely too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
Watts link, bigger/adjustable sway bars, 1 piece DS, and a nice set of wider wheels should set you up nicely too.

All on the list, can anyone validate the brake upgrades?

I am not looking to do a big break kit upgrade since it's quite a lot to spend for virtually not benefit other than the "cool" factor.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
All on the list, can anyone validate the brake upgrades?

I am not looking to do a big break kit upgrade since it's quite a lot to spend for virtually not benefit other than the "cool" factor.
The centric premium rotors are an excellent choice, as are the brakes lines. I have never used Hawk pads, not really partial to them, but if i had to suggest something it would be the Gloc 1521 compound.

The 1521 is a great street pad, and if you ever decide to step up to a "racier" compound, all of Gloc's pads are compatible with each other. Certain pad materials dont "blend" well together, so you'll have to either machine the rotors or take a scotch brite pad to them between pads so that you can have a fresh surface. The 1521 means you dont have to, just a personal preference.

I know it says GT, but the pads for the GT and v6 are the same since the caliper is the same.
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=713
Old 06-09-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You can find a complete set of Brembo brakes off Track Pack cars, or even GT500 owners upgrading for not much more than $900. Do it once, get the look you want the first time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1465512979.613062.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	202256

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The centric premium rotors are an excellent choice, as are the brakes lines. I have never used Hawk pads, not really partial to them, but if i had to suggest something it would be the Gloc 1521 compound.

The 1521 is a great street pad, and if you ever decide to step up to a "racier" compound, all of Gloc's pads are compatible with each other. Certain pad materials dont "blend" well together, so you'll have to either machine the rotors or take a scotch brite pad to them between pads so that you can have a fresh surface. The 1521 means you dont have to, just a personal preference.

I know it says GT, but the pads for the GT and v6 are the same since the caliper is the same.
G-LOC Brakes Front Pads for S197 V8 NON-Brembo GT, 2010-2014 - Vorshlag LLC
Just checked these out, definitely going to have to do some more research on these, at first glance they seem like they'd be perfect for my needs. Thanks for the replies Volt, your posts have been very helpful when I was reading up on what would be the best choice for my car. May I ask how you know so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
You can find a complete set of Brembo brakes off Track Pack cars, or even GT500 owners upgrading for not much more than $900. Do it once, get the look you want the first time.

Attachment 202256
After a quick run down on the costs between Centric Premium/ Premium High Carbon rotors, G-Loc GS-1 brake pads and stainless steel brake lines, the costs would be about the same. By going with Brembos I'd only be gaining looks, performance wise going with the other options is the better choice. The Brembos definitely look nicer without a doubt, but when it comes to my brakes/tires/wheels I want to make sure I am going for function rather than form when I make my changes versus stock. Especially when the supercharger is added, I want to make sure my ability to stop is the best that I can make it.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
Just checked these out, definitely going to have to do some more research on these, at first glance they seem like they'd be perfect for my needs. Thanks for the replies Volt, your posts have been very helpful when I was reading up on what would be the best choice for my car. May I ask how you know so much?
Not to sound cocky or arrogant, but its because i want to know it. I am on a few different forums, in a few different facebook groups (good ones, not "anything coyote" -_-), and basically when the people who know what they are talking about start discussing i hop in that thread, whatever the topic, and try to keep up haha. Not just mustang forums either, thats the key. I'm in the miata forums, the mazdaspeed forums, mustang forums... hell, some of the best aerodynamic discussion i have ever seen has taken place in an environmental forum focused on Hyper-mileing.

The grass roots forums are where all the good discussion takes place, because there's no big shops doing all the R&D for them, all the data comes from the community. That's a problem the mustang has always had, there's a few big shops that say "hey, buy our package and go this fast" so people never really learn how to go fast, they just write a check and are none the wiser. Now, that's obviously not saying that no one with a mustang knows anything about going fast, but it means we spend a lot of time modding things where we're not really sure why, they're just what everyone else does so we'll do it to you know. That's actually what pushed me to go back to school for Mechanical Engineering, i want to know the "why."
Old 06-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not to sound cocky or arrogant, but its because i want to know it. I am on a few different forums, in a few different facebook groups (good ones, not "anything coyote" -_-), and basically when the people who know what they are talking about start discussing i hop in that thread, whatever the topic, and try to keep up haha. Not just mustang forums either, thats the key. I'm in the miata forums, the mazdaspeed forums, mustang forums... hell, some of the best aerodynamic discussion i have ever seen has taken place in an environmental forum focused on Hyper-mileing.

The grass roots forums are where all the good discussion takes place, because there's no big shops doing all the R&D for them, all the data comes from the community. That's a problem the mustang has always had, there's a few big shops that say "hey, buy our package and go this fast" so people never really learn how to go fast, they just write a check and are none the wiser. Now, that's obviously not saying that no one with a mustang knows anything about going fast, but it means we spend a lot of time modding things where we're not really sure why, they're just what everyone else does so we'll do it to you know. That's actually what pushed me to go back to school for Mechanical Engineering, i want to know the "why."
Gotcha, I am the same way when it comes to nutrition/fitness. Definitely a lot of things going on there where people are doing things just because everyone else is doing it. I agree with you on the data coming from the community rather than the big shop advertisements to buy their products. Again going back to the nutrition/fitness arena, I see a lot of the same things going on here as I do there. No matter what the industry there's quite a few big companies out there who say buy "x" product and you'll get amazing "y" results for spending "z" dollars, where as the more efficient and sometimes more effective options are really spending far less that you would ever imagine.

I have thought about going to some type of school to learn more about cars, but I don't think that will be until later in life, I've got 1 year left in grad school will definitely need a long break after that. So until then, thanks for your posts, they're very helpful!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Plus one on the G-Loc pads. We run them on the TTC car, and will soon have a set on my TTB Mustang.

The only reason to go to the Brembo is if you plan on doing any racing, to help with heat rejection. The car will stop precisely zero feet shorter. The only way to improve that distance is stickier tires (unless you are unable to trigger ABS, then you need a pad with more friction).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

For 'street use' i would think the GT500 (brakes) take offs would be great for you.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang