Shorty Header Install Weekend ! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #36
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Eleven hours and done! Tips for anyone looking at doing this yourself. Shorty ratcheting wrenches are a must. Also, perhaps it's common sense (thanks DieSeven as it was to him but not to me), but don't try to do one side at a time. Drop the H-pipe, install both headers then use a jack to position the H-pipe so it mates with each of the collectors. One last observation, that infamous passenger side nut... shorty wrench in 1/8 turns... yes, it sucks that much. 45 minutes on that one nut alone.

Dropped the tune for it in. Butt meter feels like it pulls harder but not really noticing any increase in power. Exhaust is a half a note lower now.

Worth it? If you can get a deal on some shorty's in the sub $350 realm, yes. Any more and, to me at least, it wouldn't be worth it. My two cents.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Just a bar that slides on the handle of the socket wrench which works by adding distance from the fulcrum (socket pivoting point) which allows more torque with less energy required. Same reason they had larger steering wheels on cars without power steering... Cause it made it easier to turn them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
With a long enough cheater bar, I can move the world!

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
With a long enough cheater bar, I can move the world!
True but what happens when you knock it off its off axis?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Chaos

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Eleven hours and done! Tips for anyone looking at doing this yourself. Shorty ratcheting wrenches are a must. Also, perhaps it's common sense (thanks DieSeven as it was to him but not to me), but don't try to do one side at a time. Drop the H-pipe, install both headers then use a jack to position the H-pipe so it mates with each of the collectors. One last observation, that infamous passenger side nut... shorty wrench in 1/8 turns... yes, it sucks that much. 45 minutes on that one nut alone.

Dropped the tune for it in. Butt meter feels like it pulls harder but not really noticing any increase in power. Exhaust is a half a note lower now.

Worth it? If you can get a deal on some shorty's in the sub $350 realm, yes. Any more and, to me at least, it wouldn't be worth it. My two cents.

Did you try removing the starter motor? That bolt was a nightmare until I removed the starter. I've gotta do them again this coming weekend as my BBK ceramic headers started rusting and they replaced them under warranty. I'm going to see if I can get close to the one hour install time in the instructions but I seriously doubt it.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #41
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrochard View Post
Did you try removing the starter motor? That bolt was a nightmare until I removed the starter. I've gotta do them again this coming weekend as my BBK ceramic headers started rusting and they replaced them under warranty. I'm going to see if I can get close to the one hour install time in the instructions but I seriously doubt it.

I didn't brother. I'll light a candle for you and your next weekend's project.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 06-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Don't waste your money

Instagram: @v6beast
On the labor or any of it?
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
On the labor or any of it?
On the labor
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

If I get them in the Fall Ill do it myself. This humidity now I would hurt someone if I struggled with stubborn nuts in tight places. Lol
Old 06-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
If I get them in the Fall Ill do it myself. This humidity now I would hurt someone if I struggled with stubborn nuts in tight places. Lol

Think I'll leave that one alone lol

wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Think I'll leave that one alone lol

Lol doh! It's been a long day!!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #47
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

One week post install update: I mentioned how the exhaust note was half a tone lower now. After a week with a good bit of it some out of town traveling, the cabin sound levels are far more pleasant. Real feedback from me on this was my wife saying she didn't mind riding in my car anymore.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
uh where's the videos noob!?!? lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Hey, one quick question for everyone on this post - did you use the factory studs and bolts or did you change to something else?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Hey, one quick question for everyone on this post - did you use the factory studs and bolts or did you change to something else?
I used the factory studs and nuts.(and BBK gaskets)
If I had to do it again, I'd shorten the passenger side, next to fire wall stud to allow me to get the ratcheting box end wrench over it. Or replace it with a bolt as, I believe, JLB provides with their headers
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I used the factory studs and nuts.(and BBK gaskets)
If I had to do it again, I'd shorten the passenger side, next to fire wall stud to allow me to get the ratcheting box end wrench over it. Or replace it with a bolt as, I believe, JLB provides with their headers
I just ordered Mr Gasket header bolts for a Chevy but they are 8mm x 1.25 so they should work fine as long as the thread is the same. I'll let you know in a couple of days. Should look nice if they work
Old 06-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #52
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Shorty Header Install Weekend !

Definitely update. It's sad, I haven't even opened my JBA box except to check they were in there.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Definitely update. It's sad, I haven't even opened my JBA box except to check they were in there.

Tell me about it, I've been sitting on 3:55 gears for the past three months. Just trying to get to all this stuff. I've got an x pipe waiting to be installed too. Just got bogged down on used struts and trying to chase down issues with them. Ended up buying another set and lost my shirt on that one. Plus another set of GT 500 upper strut mounts that I didn't need. I'm gonna end up selling those for $50 bucks if I can

Old 06-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #54
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Hoping to get some videos with sound up this weekend. Sorry for the delay but it is shotgun season!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tell me about it, I've been sitting on 3:55 gears for the past three months. Just trying to get to all this stuff. I've got an x pipe waiting to be installed too. Just got bogged down on used struts and trying to chase down issues with them. Ended up buying another set and lost my shirt on that one. Plus another set of GT 500 upper strut mounts that I didn't need. I'm gonna end up selling those for $50 bucks if I can

Take a look at my biography to see the list I have to install lol

Old 06-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Take a look at my biography to see the list I have to install lol

Good grief! Stop buying stuff and start installing it 😜

Old 06-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just ordered my x pipe today, hope to get it by the weekend so I can install monday. After that will be mac shorties, then I'm done!!!

I plan on doing 3 dyno runs after it's all complete. Curious as to the results but hoping it's at least 290 rwhp or I paid a grand for my stang to sound cool. Lol
Old 06-28-2016, 10:23 PM   #58
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Hoping to get some videos with sound up this weekend. Sorry for the delay but it is shotgun season!

I must be out of the loop with what you're hunting. I can't wait for deer season. I've been on a waiting list for 3 years at a buddy's club and finally got in. Limited to 20 members and the total property is 1sqmi per member with 32 permanent stands plus whatever you set up pre season. It wasn't cheap but I'm excited! Going to fill the freezer this fall!

Old 06-29-2016, 04:01 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good grief! Stop buying stuff and start installing it 😜

Some things are waiting on other things and weather/home projects/work get in the way. Get the stuff while it's on sale too.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Some things are waiting on other things and weather/home projects/work get in the way. Get the stuff while it's on sale too.

I totally agree, especially the sale stuff. Let me know how it goes

Old 06-30-2016, 06:05 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I totally agree, especially the sale stuff. Let me know how it goes

I don't want to install the sway bars until the gear swap which I have to find someone to do still. I have a couple places that I know will but depends on schedule and price which I use. But I also need the garage so that I have a flat surface to use the jack stands and its too full of stuff I'm waiting to transfer to a storage building I'm looking into lol.

In the process of shooting primer on the SHR flush mounts.

Need the garage to do the caliper paint too.

Waiting on hood to be shipped/delivered so that I can get the stripes out on.

Spoiler (idea of drilling the trunk slows this project down since I have no previous holes lol)

Smaller things are just not priorities so they will get done eventually.

Only good thing is I have a spare vehicle so when I do a big project I can leave the car and drive my other one.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #62
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
I must be out of the loop with what you're hunting. I can't wait for deer season. I've been on a waiting list for 3 years at a buddy's club and finally got in. Limited to 20 members and the total property is 1sqmi per member with 32 permanent stands plus whatever you set up pre season. It wasn't cheap but I'm excited! Going to fill the freezer this fall!

Hunting clays brother. Not exactly something you want in the freezer. LOL Trap time of the year. Car projects have slowed quite a bit as I bought a Beretta 687 and am loving it!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #63
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Hunting clays brother. Not exactly something you want in the freezer. LOL Trap time of the year. Car projects have slowed quite a bit as I bought a Beretta 687 and am loving it!

Awesome! I'll own a "B" gun one day. For now I have to settle for shaming guys at the range with my Maverick 88 (I have a Mossberg O/U but reactions I get using a $150 pump are priceless).

Old 07-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #64
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
Awesome! I'll own a "B" gun one day. For now I have to settle for shaming guys at the range with my Maverick 88 (I have a Mossberg O/U but reactions I get using a $150 pump are priceless).

Old 04-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Will I be able to reach all nuts with a ratcheting wrench like this?

13 mm Flex Head Ratcheting Wrench

Or still need a shorty wrench?
Old 04-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I just recently installed my headers and used a normal length ratchet wrench and a stubby. You should be fine with the one you have

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #67
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

You'll need a shorty or stubby wrench like this. https://aboloxtools.com/wrenches/com...RxkaAkpn8P8HAQ You can find a shorty like this in any Lowe's or autoparts store.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:47 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I also recommend the ratcheting wrench it'll make your life a lot easier on the headers.
Zombiefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Wasnt able to find a stubby, hopefully my flex ratchet wrench will reach all nuts...
Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonyxz View Post
Wasnt able to find a stubby, hopefully my flex ratchet wrench will reach all nuts...
You only need the stubby for the back passenger side bolt(2nd to last) I reused all of the oem hardware. If you replace the stud(2nd to last) with a actual bolt/header bolt then the stubby is not needed. You will have enough clearance with the gear wrench. Remove the battery and tray and you will have extra room to work.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang