Did we ever solve the front control arm groan/pop problem? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2016, 01:49 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Certainly doable without a lift, Tym. If I recall it will help to have a set of ratcheting box wrenches. Can't recall exactly which sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
IDK how I stumbled on this thread but this has been an issue I've been needing to solve I have a 2014 with 20K and it's been having this issue since 15K or so I could never figure out what the noise was since it was on and off and usually during a crawling hard turn (90degree neighborhood or parking) I thought it was the electric motor going put but your description sounds spot on
It's like a groan and pop when turning it drives me crazy making me and everyone in my car cringe in disgust
I'll see if replacing helps when I get the chance for now I'm off to auto zone to buy silicone lube

Sent from my 0PM92 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:51 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
IDK how I stumbled on this thread but this has been an issue I've been needing to solve I have a 2014 with 20K and it's been having this issue since 15K or so I could never figure out what the noise was since it was on and off and usually during a crawling hard turn (90degree neighborhood or parking) I thought it was the electric motor going put but your description sounds spot on
It's like a groan and pop when turning it drives me crazy making me and everyone in my car cringe in disgust
I'll see if replacing helps when I get the chance for now I'm off to auto zone to buy silicone lube

That's not quite the same sound I was experiencing, any chance you can record it on your phone and post it here? I'd like to check that one out.

tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrochard View Post
That's not quite the same sound I was experiencing, any chance you can record it on your phone and post it here? I'd like to check that one out.

I'll see if I can I don't have the best quality phone I put the silicon lubricant on the joints and I think it helped well see though

Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrochard View Post

I noticed it again about a day after the silicone application when I get back home in a couple days I'll make a new thread with a video to show the noise

Old 09-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My LCAs have stayed quiet lately, so I haven't replaced them yet. I did order the heat shields and screws, though.

Yesterday I decided to upgrade the front end links, since they can pop/clunk when the ball ends wear out. I bought the Steeda adjustable units, set them at stock length, and installed (which required three wrenches to keep everything aligned). Clunks galore! Got under the car today and the ball ends had developed play (everything else was tight)--Steeda must have gotten some bad parts. Put the stockers back on (which were actually in perfect shape) and will contact Steeda in the morning.

Sometimes in this hobby you have a zero sum game day...LOL.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=tombrochard;2391933]Hey Tym,
I think Tasca was $99, but I was able to talk with them and confirm they had the correct parts. Plus I was able to get the screws and heat shields from them at the same time. The convenience was worth it. Thanks too for getting me the parts numbers so I could get the right stuff the first time.

In regards to installing them, I'll let you know. It looks like it's about an hour a side or so, but I gotta read the service manual first to see what I'm in for. I'll let you know how it goes next weekend

Yuck! that's what is was like putting these things in. An 18mm and 21MM ratcheting box wrench will make things go quicker. if you can unbolt the steering rack bolts you can move the steering rack out of the way to pull out the front sway bar bolts. Mine were really stuck so rather than chance breaking them I turned the wheels all the way in one direction and snuck them out past the rubber boots on the steering rack. really awful trying to get that done, I ended up using a lot of silicon spray on the boots to get the bolts past them. Here's a link showing how to do the entire thing:

here's some other stuff they don't mention: you've gotta tap out the screw holes on the control arm for the heat shields. Don't use phillips head machine screws like I did, you need hex head because you can't get a phillips head on the screw closest to the catalytic convertor. See attached images

If I could do it all again I'd heat up the steering rack bolts (2) and lower the rack. it took 30 minutes a side to get out the front control arm bolt. Other than that everything went pretty much along the lines of the video I put in this post. Just make sure you have all your tools laid out like he shows at the beginning of the video. I'd also add PB blaster and a propane torch with a tiny tip to that list of tools he shows. BTW, harbor fright (yes, they are frightening at times) doesn't have an 18mm or 21 mm ratcheting box wrench. For those you'll have to find a real tool store.

Let me know if you've got further questions and stay tuned for more misadventures of Tom in Mustang Repair Land.....
Old 11-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

^Thanks for the thorough write-up! Miraculously, my silicone-sprayed-LCAs have been staying quiet, so with the cold weather around the corner, I might put this off until the spring. I have the shields and hex bolts already. Will drop some coin on the LCAs themselves when some good discounts roll around.

I'm thinking I might have the (good) local shop around here do the install. I'll need a front end alignment afterwards anyway, so might as well see if they can do a package deal.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 11-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'd consider having a shop donut if you have the funds. I'm guessing it's probably three hours of labor at $100 or so an hour. Better than six hours of your time for sure

Old 02-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #45
Registered Member

Regular

Rockauto was out of stock for a bit, but I finally spent some XMas money and ordered a pair of Rev D LCAs--about $85 apiece shipped. I already had the heat shields and bolts, so put them on.

When the (good) local shop sends one of their periodic labor discount coupons in the mail, I'll have the new LCAs installed in the car.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 04-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #46
Registered Member

Regular

OK, just got back from having the new Rev D front LCAs installed by the local family owned shop. Final cost including alignment was a little under $340 (shop labor's around $90-$100 an hour around here).

Between this and replacing two old factory rear stabilizer bar bushings in my driveway last weekend, the car is feeling more assured and quieter while driving. I'm all set for the CT Spring Cruise!

Old 04-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I just had my 2014 gt diagnosed with my driver side LCR being RIP. Dealer will be covering it under warranty.
Blue Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #48
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
I just had my 2014 gt diagnosed with my driver side LCR being RIP. Dealer will be covering it under warranty.
Make sure they put on the Rev D control arms with heat shields (part numbers upthread).

Good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang