Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Making the 2011+ Roush Hood Scoop Functional

7K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  Beviking 
#1 · (Edited)
I have scoured Mustang forums and I can't find anyone who has posted a project to make the 2011-2014 Roush fake hood scoop into a functional item, so I will post my project here. If anyone has seen a similar project, please point me to it!

I purchased my 2014 Roush RS as an official numbered Roush vehicle and I was always bothered by the fact that the hood scoop is just a plastic sculpture bolted to the hood. I know that there isn't any legitimate performance "need" for downdraft (I am only planning on a downdraft mod) on a non-tracked 3.7 liter Mustang. I also know that the modification could even create extra drag and disrupt optimum airflow over the front end of the car... but to heck with it! I'm doing it anyway.

Not only am I going to tackle this project knowing that I might have to buy a new hood and hood scoop if I mess it up... I am also going to post the parts list and the process for anyone else who wants to risk hundreds of dollars in damage to their own vehicle! :thumb:

Wish me the luck.

#35 ·
Lastly (for today at least), I have fabricated a "floor" for the airbox. Here is what it looks like assembled. A lot of work yet to go... the biggest pain will be that I have to get my PDR kit out to fix all of the little dents I put in the hood when I was trying to remove the hood scoop :banghead:

So far I am still feeling confident. The size of the airflow chamber is larger than I thought it would be. I think this might deliver a lot more (useless) air into the engine bay than I thought it would :thumb:

Attachments

#37 ·
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. - T.E. Lawrence

It seemed to fit here. Never say die brother!

#39 ·
Hampton CIT, Love the quote! Definitely fits :)

#38 ·
I had to fit-test the scoop to make sure that I got all of the studs in the right place. So far, so good. Here are a few pics that show what a Roush hood scoop looks like when it's functional... but still a lot of work to do before it's finished.

Attachments

#40 ·
Functional Roush Hood Scoop Complete!

The functional Roush hood scoop is complete and installed. I have tested it on long highway runs at well over 100mph (Bama tune removes the 115mph limiter). I will post more info and pics about the project... which turned into something much bigger than I originally envisioned (4:1 venturi heat extraction!). Here are two pics to start out with...

Attachments

#41 ·
Way to go!!! Now that?s a 1 of a kind! I knew the hood scoop wouldn?t do much on my Cervini hood but wanted more from the vents. (In case you or someone else is interested http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t381849/#/topics/381849)

But NOW you can say ?Yes! It is a functional scoop!? And probably more importantly, those voices in your head have been quieted. So what are they saying now? We all know there?s another project.

Nice job and well done ?!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.