anyone install a spoiler with just 3m tape?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
anyone install a spoiler with just 3m tape??

so I've got a really awesome deal to get the small little stock spoiler that unfortunately my car didn't come with, but i think would help out the look so much. however, I have absolutely no desire to drill holes nor do I want to spend ridiculous amounts of labor to do so. the seller suggested that on stock, they use double sided tape as well as screws for reinforcement. I wonder if there would be an issue with just using double sided tape on it? I mean, side scoops and whatnot are held on by them, so would a spoiler be ok?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Don't use just the tape; the wind will pull it off, rendering it flipping all over the road. The 3M stuff is strong, but not strong enough to hold a wing on a car at speed. Much more wind pressure on a rear deck spoiler then the side scoops.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Bucko is right, the tape alone may hold for a little while, but it will eventually let go.

The scoops are not only held on using 3M tape, they also have clips that lock them into place.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Bucko is right, the tape alone may hold for a little while, but it will eventually let go.

The scoops are not only held on using 3M tape, they also have clips that lock them into place.

On a 2014 mustang the scoops are only held on with 3M tape. I have the factory scoops and know for a fact they are held on with only 3M tape. There is nothing for them to clip onto unless you wanted to drill into your panel.
cwlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlanders View Post
On a 2014 mustang the scoops are only held on with 3M tape. I have the factory scoops and know for a fact they are held on with only 3M tape. There is nothing for them to clip onto unless you wanted to drill into your panel.
Wow! That was a cheap way out for Ford.

Now I feel the need to pull a prank on my baby brother using a heat gun and a trail cam. I would love to see him walk outside and have no scoops on his car.

I wouldn't do that though. I'm a nice guy. I have taken the drive shaft out of his truck before, but he started the pranks by wiring my headlights, interior lights, and brake lights to my horn on my old Z71.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i was gonna say, every installation of scoops I've seen is just tape, no clips at all.

but good advice though bucko, the wind on the rear was what I was getting at as opposed to on the side.

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 07-05-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
Wow! That was a cheap way out for Ford.

Now I feel the need to pull a prank on my baby brother using a heat gun and a trail cam. I would love to see him walk outside and have no scoops on his car.

I wouldn't do that though. I'm a nice guy. I have taken the drive shaft out of his truck before, but he started the pranks by wiring my headlights, interior lights, and brake lights to my horn on my old Z71.

That sounds like quite the sibling rivalry! I would love to mess with my brother's car but he is an Uber driver and that may affect his rating ha
cwlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlanders View Post
That sounds like quite the sibling rivalry! I would love to mess with my brother's car but he is an Uber driver and that may affect his rating ha
There are 3 of us boys. We may be adults, but we are far from grown up. We still have fun. We camp, fish, target practice, hunt, and torture each other.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Find someone local with the same color trunk who wants to trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Find someone local with the same color trunk who wants to trade?

haha who would want a spoilerless trunk? it's so bland.

and there's like nobody local to me around here. sucks.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Someone who has say a gt500 spoiler but wants the cali special one. Different holes are needed i believe and with a pedestal spoiler, you dont want random holes showing.

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
A stock spoiler? It's not going to fly off with the correct 3m tape and the correct prep before hand. That spoiler is not catching hardly any wind. It would be fine. Automotive 3m tape around the entire perimeter and use an alcohol pad before you stick it on.

Anyone who says it will fly off has never tried to remove one of these.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
A stock spoiler? It's not going to fly off with the correct 3m tape and the correct prep before hand. That spoiler is not catching hardly any wind. It would be fine. Automotive 3m tape around the entire perimeter and use an alcohol pad before you stick it on.

Anyone who says it will fly off has never tried to remove one of these.
My dad owned an auto body shop for 40 years. I have seen stuff come apart and fall off that would seem impossible.

I will agree that a quality 3M double side tape and prep work will work. It really it could last a year, or it could last 20 years. The environment plays a huge role.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

For a stock spoiler and proper prep, i'd say it's worth the risk unless the spoiler flies off and hits someone 😳

Every day driving between 30-70mph, the spoiler will be fine. I doubt you'd be breaking the sound barrier. It is a v6 afterall lol!!!

Good 3M tape and adhesive promotor makes a STRONG bond. I was gonna take the side scoops off my 2014 before i traded it but they were on really good and I didn't want to mess with it.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
It is a v6 afterall lol!!!
can't stand you ever since you got that 5.slow!! hahahaha 😉😉

but idk though. conflicting reports. I'd rather it not come flying off and hit someone and I'd be responsible, but damnit it's a great deal shipped that I don't wanna pass it up, but again, I don't want to drill. bah!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

You can always buy it and figure something out later.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

true i could. just hate having parts sitting around that I can't figure out how to install.. i. e., God damn sound tube.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How much labor could it be for a quality body shop to install it correctly? I would think 80-100 dollars at most as I couldn't imagine it being more then an hour time for labor.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
For a stock spoiler and proper prep, i'd say it's worth the risk unless the spoiler flies off and hits someone 😳

Every day driving between 30-70mph, the spoiler will be fine. I doubt you'd be breaking the sound barrier. It is a v6 afterall lol!!!

Good 3M tape and adhesive promotor makes a STRONG bond. I was gonna take the side scoops off my 2014 before i traded it but they were on really good and I didn't want to mess with it.

Whichever one GoPro uses for their mounts is quite good. It has held my camera on the car on the north side of 160 mph...

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

A local shop in Austin charged me $90 to drill the holes and mount the spoiler. They did my 2014 gt500 spoiler and the stock spoiler for my 2016.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

think is, I think if I'm gonna end up paying to get holes drilled, i'm gonna go all out and get the gt500 spoiler or something.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Then do it!!! Dont make me post this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1467770935.691811.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	203164

Old 07-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

I remember all the ricers rolling around after the first FATF movie came out. Primer or just white plastic body kits falling off because all they used was 3M tape. HOWEVER... no idea if it was actual 3M tape or just some knock off chinese crap. Also doubt they prepped anything properly.

I've got those AVS window shades and sunroof deflector on my Expedition, with proper prep, that adhesive that holds them on is STRONG. Like... not going anywhere. Wash beforehand, hit it with a bigass alcohol pad to get all the dirt and wax off and then stick it on, it should hold fine.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Judging by how hard it was to remove the stock spoiler I truly believe the 3m tape would hold the stock one just fine. Anything larger would need the bolts.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:35 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
My guess would be it'll hold it on for a while but sooner or later it'll end up on the ground. I would not be happy if it was mine and I would be even less happy if it came off the car in front of me.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Look online for the template for where the holes should be drilled. This ain't rocket science and being lazy is not the right way to go about this at all. The tape may hold fine depending on the weather conditions, but over time I wouldn't want to take the chance of it coming off for whatever reason and it hitting another car or person. That could be just plain nasty at speed. Just not worth it. Get it right the first time and be done with it.

Edit: I just realized the OP is in New Jersey, extreme hot to extreme cold. He needs to bolt that baby down.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah here it will be 0F in the winter and can get over 100F in the summer. Plus all the salt and the high winds and just all around **** weather from Jan-Apr...

Weather here is one of the biggest reasons my wife and I are trying to GTFO. Go somewhere with milder weather or straight up always hot and sunny like Nevada.

Wait this was about a spoiler... If it was ME... and even tho I said the 3M would probably hold fine... if it was MY car I'd get a template and drill the holes. Measure like 5 times, drill once. Seal the bare metal edges you created with some primer and spray paint so it doesn't rust up under the wing and then bolt the sucker down and use 3M as well.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

My Cervini Ducktail spoiler is only held on by 3M tape. Been like that for a year or so.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah here it will be 0F in the winter and can get over 100F in the summer. Plus all the salt and the high winds and just all around **** weather from Jan-Apr...

Weather here is one of the biggest reasons my wife and I are trying to GTFO. Go somewhere with milder weather or straight up always hot and sunny like Nevada.

Wait this was about a spoiler... If it was ME... and even tho I said the 3M would probably hold fine... if it was MY car I'd get a template and drill the holes. Measure like 5 times, drill once. Seal the bare metal edges you created with some primer and spray paint so it doesn't rust up under the wing and then bolt the sucker down and use 3M as well.
+1
There's a reason that Ford bolts these down, for safety and reliability.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 07-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
This thread is so dramatic.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Not really, just lookin' out for the other guy
Old 07-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Just use the tape BUT prep the surface with rubbing alocohol and then be sure to use the activator stuff on the tape. Do that and it wont be going anywhere.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Just use the tape BUT prep the surface with rubbing alocohol and then be sure to use the activator stuff on the tape. Do that and it wont be going anywhere.
Even with 120+ degree temp swings between seasons?

I mean I guess... that crazy *** hotel in Dubai has its exterior panels held on by some crazy omg adhesive film. No ****.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Even with 120+ degree temp swings between seasons?

I mean I guess... that crazy *** hotel in Dubai has its exterior panels held on by some crazy omg adhesive film. No ****.
Yup. It's aerodynamic... Will be fine.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #35

Region: Minnesota
If you're talking about on the trunk, double sided tape will work fine. If you're talking about under the front bumper, I'd recommend 1/4" bolts. I did that with my Audi, used double sided and it started coming off instantly (really I did it that way just to see if I'd like it). Then I used the double sided to line it up and drill holes. Then removed it and installed hardware and I drove it like that (on and off the track) for three years and around 100,000 miles.

2012 Mustang - 3.7L - Loaded - Completely Stock!
CorneliusRox is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang