European Maps on Raxiom Nav unit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Region: Europe
Question European Maps on Raxiom Nav unit

Hi folks! New to forum and fairly new to Mustang ownership. Living in Germany and wanted to know if there was any point in me trying to source a Raxiom Nav unit for my 2013 Premium V6 Coupe. Does anyone have experience of changing the maps on this unit? I understand that the Raxiom uses iGo maps. I'm sure I have this in the Chinese Nav / Stereo unit I retrofitted into my Golf (Rabbit) and loaded with map for whole of Europe. That unit uses a Micro-SD card to load the maps. I don't see this facility on the Raxiom. I'd really appreciate your help
TeealB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I wouldn't go with a Raxiom anything. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Don't get the Raxiom unit, I have it and the maps suck. Just don't.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I wouldn't go with a Raxiom anything. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Oh - I wasn't expecting that reaction. What is the map issue then?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Don't get the Raxiom unit, I have it and the maps suck. Just don't.

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Wow - two outta two messages and both negative on Raxiom. I haven't seen any other units which integrate with the Mustang - what do you suggest please? And thanks for the replies guys.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You can integrate a quality unit with the mustang with the right hookups. Raxiom anything is bleh, I only got their tail lights because I can seal them myself and even Raxiom has a somewhat difficult time ****ing up tail lights.

I'd get a real nice unit with mirrorlink (android) or the iPhone link (iCrap) and just use google maps on your phone mirrored to the HU via BT. Or just find a nice mount for your phone on the dash or wherever and use it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice. But how do you upgrade maps on Raxiom - anyone?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Lots of people hate on the Raxiom. At full price, I'd have to agree. You can get them used for $350-$400 and for that price it's a good deal.

I think the website is naviextras.com for updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #9

Thanks au1st

Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #10

Advice from AM...

I chatted on-line with one of the AM team. Asking about reversing cameras and updating maps on Raxiom unit. Notwithstanding the comments I have seen regarding how succesful this activity is - please see the transcript provided by the AM team - a kind of mini-process for updating the maps by SD card (I hope it helps - in fact I REALLY hope it helps ME!!):

If you go to www.rosenelectronics.com, then select in dash multi-media, you will see an option to select map updates.
This will take you to navi-extras.com.
You will need to register and set up an account.
For the device, select DB Mustang under Rosen Electronics.
Once you are registered, download the navi-extras toolbox.
Install the toolbox and open the program.
Now you are ready for updates.
Take out the micro SD card from the front panel which is located under the cover on the bottom of the buttons on the right.
Insert this into your card reader on the PC, and the Navi-extras tool box will see it and register it.
Be sure to select back up the device so you can restore it later if necessary.
Then select the updates button from the main menu.
There is navigation fixes.
The toolbox will install the update on the card, then all you have to do is replace the card into the navi unit and start the car.
It will update when you select nav.

This may be specific to my 2013 Premium V6 Coupe - esp the bit about 'select DB Mustang' - I don't really know. Fingers X'd, eh?
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That is NOT how you do it. I called AM and they told me the unit they sold me is not their problem and to contact Rosen so I did. I called them 3 times for hours to figure out why my maps where taking me to places that did not exist. My iPhone got me there in 10min while the Raxiom got me to the same Best Buy in 25min. It does not know the best routes. So Rossen said the SD card is $175 so they put a hold on my credit card for that amount then they shipped me an updated SD card and then I send the old one back then they took the hold off. They did this all through the mail instead of online. It should have been easily updated online but they said no they can't do that because they have to purchase the maps with the business credit card. They are pretty much buying the maps from themselves. Then I got the updated SD card and its a little better but still does not find half the places I am trying to go that have been here for years such as the Austin park. I have to find the physical address and enter that in. Rossen said AM has a ton of old units sitting there because no one wants to buy them and pay that amount so they are shipping old units with old maps on them so be expected to wait 2 weeks for an updated SD card, be ready to talk on the phone for hours, be ready to get a GPS unit that pretty much comes broken until you have to fix it yourself by getting the new SD card and this is all for a $750 unit. Not a cheap one. That is why I say to stay away. Also I talked to AM about it and the best solution they had for me is to uninstall it and return it. It took me forever to install it so I will not just uninstall it and return it. I'm glad I paid it off on my credit card quickly because I do use it for the screen and back up camera. A $750 back up camera.

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Old 07-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #12

OK :-0

Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

European Maps on Raxiom Nav unit

I did this whole process about 2 weeks ago but I did not feel like typing the whole thing out but to save people a ton of time I figured I would lol because I spent an hour alone just trying to update the maps first with a USB stick and then with an SD card and on the phone for hours. I had to go to the store twice and then finally the guy said "oh wait. Yeah you have to ship it to us and we will ship you a new one" it was such a mess and a waste of time. I did not think I would have to go through that. The Raxiom unit looked like it was ready to go and would have wireless updates but it was the complete opposite. Save the time and money honestly.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Also, if you want to ditch the GPS antenna let me know. I offer a device that splits the signal from the factory satellite radio and runs the GPS. It's a much cleaner install.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #15

Thanks mate - I like the sound of that. I'll be in touch. How much do you charge for the splitter, please?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:24 AM   #16

Any news on the cost of shipping the device to split the signal please? Many thanks.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Also, if you want to ditch the GPS antenna let me know. I offer a device that splits the signal from the factory satellite radio and runs the GPS. It's a much cleaner install.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Hi au01st. Any news on shipping one of your splitters to Germany please? Getting fairly good results with my GPS aerial stuffed in the glovebox, but sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to find satellites (usually only when you are in a hurry )
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeealB View Post
Hi au01st. Any news on shipping one of your splitters to Germany please? Getting fairly good results with my GPS aerial stuffed in the glovebox, but sometimes it takes a couple of minutes to find satellites (usually only when you are in a hurry )
Until you get a reply, may I suggest another location to out your GPS Antenna? I ran my chord through the glove box, up the a pillar, and secured it right above the rear view mirror. You can't the GPS antenna at all unless you know what you're looking for and it connects to the satellite right away. I have a base model with no stock GPS so I had to figure a way around that. I will take pictures and post to show here soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang