What I need to upgrade strut mounts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Region: Minnesota
What I need to upgrade strut mounts

Hey guys, I live down a dirt road and the dust kills my strut mounts in less than 30k. I'm sick of replacing them, so I read the GT500 style has much better sealing and bearings, plus they're cheaper.
(Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade M-18183-C (05-14 All) - Free Shipping)

American Muscle says I'll need GT500 lowering springs and shocks to make these work, but I've read I can use 2005-2010 GT struts and springs. I wanted to lower my car at the same time and was looking at the SR coils.

My biggest question is, do these strut mounts and the new struts work as a lift for the suspension, in which case, I need to get really low front springs to compensate for it, or would they put me back at stock height, so when I do SR springs with them, I'll be lowered evenly front and rear?

2012 Mustang - 3.7L - Loaded - Completely Stock!
CorneliusRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
[QUOTE=CorneliusRox;2381402]Hey guys, I live down a dirt road and the dust kills my strut mounts in less than 30k. I'm sick of replacing them, so I read the GT500 style has much better sealing and bearings, plus they're cheaper.

(Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Strut Mount Upgrade M-18183-C (05-14 All) - Free Shipping)

American Muscle says I'll need GT500 lowering springs and shocks to make these work, but I've read I can use 2005-2010 GT struts and springs. I wanted to lower my car at the same time and was looking at the SR coils.

My biggest question is, do these strut mounts and the new struts work as a lift for the suspension, in which case, I need to get really low front springs to compensate for it, or would they put me back at stock height, so when I do SR springs with them, I'll be lowered evenly front and rear?[/

They will maintain stock ride height when you use them with the 2005-2010 struts. I have a 2011 v6 and that's what I just did. I used them with the factory V6 performance springs and Strange Engineering adjustable shocks and struts. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrochard View Post
They will maintain stock ride height when you use them with the 2005-2010 struts. I have a 2011 v6 and that's what I just did. I used them with the factory V6 performance springs and Strange Engineering adjustable shocks and struts. Works great.
Thanks for the info! So my next question is, do stock springs (2011-14 V6) fit this strut and strut mount?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Like I said, I already have the GT500 strut mounts, so here's what I'm planning on getting:

If I need anything else, or I'm getting something that looks dumb, let me know.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Instead of buying camber bolts, slot the bottom lower strut mount hole and use the factory bolts.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Or instead of buying camber bolts you can turn the GT 500 mounts backwards (there should be an arrow telling you which way to mount them) and get back some camber. I did this and was still within spec when I had the alignment checked after lowering.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Thanks for the info! So my next question is, do stock springs (2011-14 V6) fit this strut and strut mount?

Yep, stock springs fit. Running those now

Old 07-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Like I said, I already have the GT500 strut mounts, so here's what I'm planning on getting:

If I need anything else, or I'm getting something that looks dumb, let me know.

I can't comment on the lowering stuff because I haven't done that. Although I think you need an adjustable upper control arm for the rear end too?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
Instead of buying camber bolts, slot the bottom lower strut mount hole and use the factory bolts.
That just makes so much more sense. Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Or instead of buying camber bolts you can turn the GT 500 mounts backwards (there should be an arrow telling you which way to mount them) and get back some camber. I did this and was still within spec when I had the alignment checked after lowering.
So you're saying if I put them on with the arrow facing the rear of the car, it'll give me positive camber (to fight the negative camber that comes with lowering)? Any idea how much positive camber I can expect?

Quote:
I can't comment on the lowering stuff because I haven't done that. Although I think you need an adjustable upper control arm for the rear end too?
From what I've read, these springs don't drop it low enough to need those, but that's such an easy thing to swap, I'd just do it afterwards if needed. Good thinking though. Thanks again.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Gt500 struts,shocks,springs etc.

I have gt 500 kit it's a take off kit 05-14 like new. Front and rear every thing you need for your vehicle. OEM Ford. I don't have the camber bolts, the rest is here. 185.00 you pay the ship. I have no need for them. I think that I a lot less then what you pictured!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I think they actually say point toward fender. So you point them toward the engine. You'll see the arrows, just point them 180 degrees from what it says.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:

No, you do not need an adjustable upper control arm. Literally every SCCA guy has run for the last 12 years without adjustable upper control arms due to rule book conflicts. Vendors are telling you that you "have" to in order to sell more parts. I have not had any problems with my car, and I am on an unfortunately low spring (making spacers to keep this spring, but be near stock ride height to eliminate the ridiculous amount of front roll center travel which results from lowering on a strut based suspension).

By the way, here is a picture of the slotted strut for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160707_001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	862.0 KB
ID:	203211  

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
I have gt 500 kit it's a take off kit 05-14 like new. Front and rear every thing you need for your vehicle. OEM Ford. I don't have the camber bolts, the rest is here. 185.00 you pay the ship. I have no need for them. I think that I a lot less then what you pictured!
I appreciate it, but I think I'm going to go with new parts. And I already have the strut mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I think they actually say point toward fender. So you point them toward the engine. You'll see the arrows, just point them 180 degrees from what it says.
Good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
No, you do not need an adjustable upper control arm. Literally every SCCA guy has run for the last 12 years without adjustable upper control arms due to rule book conflicts. Vendors are telling you that you "have" to in order to sell more parts. I have not had any problems with my car, and I am on an unfortunately low spring (making spacers to keep this spring, but be near stock ride height to eliminate the ridiculous amount of front roll center travel which results from lowering on a strut based suspension).

By the way, here is a picture of the slotted strut for reference.
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be slotting my own struts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang