Brakes question. Please help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Brakes question. Please help

Has anyone paired power stop brake rotors with oem brake pads? I currently have oem brake pads which are like new but my rotors are warped and I'm tired of changing them or getting turned from Ford and considering buying power stop rotors.

Is this a good pair or should I just opt for hawk ceramic pads as well? Has anyone tried it has any suggestions please?

Sent from my XT1575 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Well I have had the power stop rotors & pads for about a year now. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
My daughter put Powerstop rotors along with OEM pads on her 2010 GT with no issues initially however after a year she is complaining that the brake pedal is pulsating during braking. Usually in indicator of warped rotors. I need to look at that for her.
2012 Kona Blue GT Prem 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Thumbs up

I recommend Centric Premium brake rotors. I've used them on all my cars for years and have never had an issue with them. I never cut corners when it comes to the brakes on my rides. Very competitive pricing for them as well, check them out
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. I really like the drilled and slotted look so I just went and ordered the power stop z23 pad and rotor kit. It was selling for 289.97 on summit racing and AM price matched it

Old 07-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
6% discount still apply with a price match like that?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
6% discount still apply with a price match like that?
I wish but nope no 6% discount.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Would have just got it from Summit then lol. As good as AM is, if something gets messed up in shipping Summit and Jegs wreck AM/LRS/CJP.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Would have just got it from Summit then lol. As good as AM is, if something gets messed up in shipping Summit and Jegs wreck AM/LRS/CJP.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I've never shopped through summit or jegs and so i did not know how they are as a parts store.. I've always bought stuffs through AM and Alex has always helped if something goes wrong.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:03 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I have found recently summit is the way to go on select things. You can't beat the price and the shipping time compared to AM (sorry Alex). When I lived in VA I loved AM as I would get my stuff next day. But now being in CA it takes 7+ days for slow arse ups ground. Ain't nobody got time fo dat. Summit has a Nevada and Ohio warehouse so they get stuff to the consumer equally as fast throughout the country. I ordered an optima battery from them and some SS brake lines from stop tech. I also enjoy summits descriptions and tech. An example of that is how I was able to order an optima battery based on size since supposedly they don't make one that's a direct fit for the s197. Well the one I ordered fits like a glove. Just had to make a SLIGHT modification to the base of the adapter and boom. Perfect fit. Anyway, I give summit 2 thumbs up (am too, but sometimes you have to look at what else is out there)
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
I've never shopped through summit or jegs and so i did not know how they are as a parts store.. I've always bought stuffs through AM and Alex has always helped if something goes wrong.

As much as I like AM... they are not in the same universe as Summit/Jegs. They've been selling parts forever, out of catalogs before the internet was even a thing.

TBTH, if I can get something from Summit or Jegs for the same price or less than AM, I get it from them. I also get a military discount with Jegs so its even better for me.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys I will try summit/Jegs the next time.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I put new power stop slotted and drilled rotors along with the associated power stop pads on my 2013 V6 coupe and feel they are a lot softer than the oem brakes. The distant the brake pedal travels is more than with the oem setup. I even took my ride into a local auto repair shop and had the brake system flushed with little/no change. Next thing to do is take it to local Ford dealership and have entire system including master cylinder looked at to see if there is another issue. Just concerned the dealership will refused to look at the brake system since I now have aftermarket rotors and pads.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I am not surprised that you need more pedal displacement to get the same deceleration rate. By installing a slotted or drilled rotor, you have reduced the surface area of the rotor, decreasing the braking efficiency.
Plus, those are in no way a performance oriented brake pad compound.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Just an FYI, but this is from the sticky at the beginning of this forum "A beginner's guide to modifying your V6."

"Brakes: Big brake kits do not mean more stopping power. Again, big brake kits DO NOT mean more stopping power. The point of a "Big Brake Kit" is for higher heat retention, and a fixed caliper + more pistons for more even pad wear on a road course. All a street car, or even mild track car, needs is a decent set of pads and rotors. For example, i run a set of Carbotech XP10 (more of a track pad, not really recommended for street use), and just a set of centric premium rotors on my GT (non brembo) and i can kick the abs on at about 75% braking with 295 nitto NT05s on all 4 corners. What this means is i still have WAY more brakes than i do tire. If you want better stopping power, what you need is good tires. Tires + a good set of pads + a good set of rotors, in that order, is the recipe for better stopping.

Drilled and/or slotted rotors. These are a gimmick, they look damn cool, but will offer 0 performance benefit over a premium blank rotor. Drilled rotors crack, period, it is not a matter of If, but when. Drilled rotors means less thermal mass to absorb heat, and less surface area for the pad to provide clamping force, they are a waste of money, and not beneficial in any way other than cosmetics. Slotted rotors are somewhat the same, really you're just paying for looks, and they do look cool, but just keep that in mind when shopping for brakes."

Good sticky to check prior to your mods
Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Just an FYI, but this is from the sticky at the beginning of this forum "A beginner's guide to modifying your V6."

"Brakes: Big brake kits do not mean more stopping power. Again, big brake kits DO NOT mean more stopping power. The point of a "Big Brake Kit" is for higher heat retention, and a fixed caliper + more pistons for more even pad wear on a road course. All a street car, or even mild track car, needs is a decent set of pads and rotors. For example, i run a set of Carbotech XP10 (more of a track pad, not really recommended for street use), and just a set of centric premium rotors on my GT (non brembo) and i can kick the abs on at about 75% braking with 295 nitto NT05s on all 4 corners. What this means is i still have WAY more brakes than i do tire. If you want better stopping power, what you need is good tires. Tires + a good set of pads + a good set of rotors, in that order, is the recipe for better stopping.

Drilled and/or slotted rotors. These are a gimmick, they look damn cool, but will offer 0 performance benefit over a premium blank rotor. Drilled rotors crack, period, it is not a matter of If, but when. Drilled rotors means less thermal mass to absorb heat, and less surface area for the pad to provide clamping force, they are a waste of money, and not beneficial in any way other than cosmetics. Slotted rotors are somewhat the same, really you're just paying for looks, and they do look cool, but just keep that in mind when shopping for brakes."

Good sticky to check prior to your mods
I tell ppl this all the time about their drilled/slotted rotors. For my cars I get good Raybestos rotors and a good ceramic pad. Stops great, no cracking/crazing.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think it gets down to: do you actually want to stop or do you want to look cool while your blowing through the location of the stop you had intended to make. My pop always told me, any idiot can get a car going, the trick is to be able to stop before you hit the other idiot. Not meant to insult anyone, just havin' a bit of fun and tryin' to help
Old 07-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I have found recently summit is the way to go on select things. You can't beat the price and the shipping time compared to AM (sorry Alex). When I lived in VA I loved AM as I would get my stuff next day. But now being in CA it takes 7+ days for slow arse ups ground. Ain't nobody got time fo dat. Summit has a Nevada and Ohio warehouse so they get stuff to the consumer equally as fast throughout the country. I ordered an optima battery from them and some SS brake lines from stop tech. I also enjoy summits descriptions and tech. An example of that is how I was able to order an optima battery based on size since supposedly they don't make one that's a direct fit for the s197. Well the one I ordered fits like a glove. Just had to make a SLIGHT modification to the base of the adapter and boom. Perfect fit. Anyway, I give summit 2 thumbs up (am too, but sometimes you have to look at what else is out there)
I noticed that RockAuto carries some performance parts too...prices are pretty good with their perpetual 5% off code. Bought a pair of OEM front rotors for $90 and a set of new EBC YellowStuff pads on eBay for $110. Looking forward to replacing the worn and noise Hawk HPS pads.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
There is LRS as well for Mustang specific stuff. They do 3 day shipping throughout the lower 48. Warehouse is in TX.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang