Exhaust question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Exhaust question

This is my build:

2014 3.7L V6 (3.55 gears)

Airaid Cold Air Intake
BBK 73mm
BBK Shorty Headers
Roush Axle Back Exhaust

Bama 93 Race Tune

-------

Question:

How much benefit is the Roush AB giving me and any idea what effect returning to stock exhaust on performance?

Also would I gain much sound difference with the other mods to make the stock more enjoyable?

Love the sound at idle and slowly cruising around but since the gear swap I'm running higher rpms so I'd like it more quiet.

If returning to stock isn't suggested what are the tamer exhausts that I should research?

Borla Touring?

Thanx

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
A lot of Roush axleback mufflers are sold for being too loud after headers are installed.

I have some Magnaflow competition (straight pipes), i notice a loss of low end power when i run them for a week or two a year. I tested just for fun, after i removed the competitions, i installed the factory mufflers, sounded like crap and still noticed a loss of low end torque. I then installed my Magnaflow street series axlebacks, my low end torque was back and life was perfect

I have long tube headers with a shorty catted x-pipe.....
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Actually the Roush sounded better after the headers. It's the higher rpms due to the gear swap that makes it louder than usual. Now I've head longtime a make it sound worse but the shortly gave it a deeper tone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You will notice no difference in performance if you remove your Roush and go back to your stockers.

Now when you say your running higher Rpms since your gear swap and would like something quieter I'm assuming you mean when your on the highway? If so I think you might be referring to drone?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No real drone. It's just the screaming exhaust at WOT or a semi hard launch. I just find myself shifting higher revs than before.

It's getting better as time goes. Basically I'm relearning the shift points again.

Guess I'm wanting to not attract too much attention while I enjoy my new gears.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Borla Touring, mine sounds awesome
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
yeah i just got touring, and i enjoy the sound on a stock system. I bet it's sound great with headers and stuff!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune,Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace,Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Based off some manufacturer claims ( if they are to be believe) I would say anywhere between 3-7 hp/tq for axleback performance gains could be lost. Maybe more maybe less lol
Slick953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yes just like their Cai claims that have been proven inaccurate.
There are no gains by replacing just axel backs.
Doesn't a throttle body spacer increase performance as claimed by the manufacturer also lol.
What's next 3m gt 500 stripes give you more power, at least 2-3 hp per stripe?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

At least I don't have a throttle body spacer lol. Looked into them and did some research and finally decided wasn't worth the $100 for a little whirling sound lol.

I was mostly worried about a little more restriction going back to stock but it's starting to grow on me so I might leave it or just swap them one day and test it and go back if I'm not happy with the sound.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
There are no gains by replacing just axel backs.
I'm curious how did you come to that conclusion?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
It's just the screaming exhaust at WOT...........Guess I'm wanting to not attract too much attention .

so you like it but don't want to attract too much attention.....I'll give you a hint: avoid WOT (unless you are looking for attention).

That was easy!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
so you like it but don't want to attract too much attention.....I'll give you a hint: avoid WOT (unless you are looking for attention).

That was easy!

Easier said then done lol

Figure I'll take it easy... For now lol

Old 07-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick953 View Post
I'm curious how did you come to that conclusion?
I did not come to that conclusion alone, it's well documented. Do a quick search either here or on Google.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Easier said then done lol

Figure I'll take it easy... For now lol

I hear you. Most of the time I love going wot with my Roush abs, but sometimes I'd like it a little quieter so I don't atract so much attention.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear you. Most of the time I love going wot with my Roush abs, but sometimes I'd like it a little quieter so I don't atract so much attention.

That's why I'd love one of the Roush exhausts I've seen on the newer mustangs. They have a control knob inside the cabin to adjust between 4 stages of exhaust. Quiet to screaming loud. Closest I've seen to that is the Varitune exhaust but you have to manually adjust and I've only seen them for V8's.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did not come to that conclusion alone, it's well documented. Do a quick search either here or on Google.

Idk about well documented, this seems like one of those things people say but cant prove. In fact I've seen the opposite to be true so I'd be interested in said"document" if this is indeed true.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If you want to increase power from your exhaust start by removing your cats.

Do you also believe there are gains by "upgrading" to a after market Cai as marketed by the manufactors?

When selecting an after market axel back go with the one that sounds the best to you, not with the excepectation of hp/tq numbers. If you do you'll be disappointed.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want to increase power from your exhaust start by removing your cats.
Lol I kind of already have a full exhaust but thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Do you also believe there are gains by "upgrading" to a after market Cai as marketed by the manufactors?
I don't believe everything a manufacturer says but same can be said from what every forum member says.

What I have seen is a CAI dyno from american muscle of before and after and receive 5-10hp if I remember correctly. I've also seen other dynos show some sort of gain and then have seen people argue till they are blue in the face about whether those gains are legit or not. However, what I have not seen is mass amounts of people pop one on a dyno and receive none.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick953 View Post
Lol I kind of already have a full exhaust but thanks for the advice.

I don't believe everything a manufacturer says but same can be said from what every forum member says.

What I have seen is a CAI dyno from american muscle of before and after and receive 5-10hp if I remember correctly. I've also seen other dynos show some sort of gain and then have seen people argue till they are blue in the face about whether those gains are legit or not. However, what I have not seen is mass amounts of people pop one on a dyno and receive none.
What is your exhaust set up?

I'm running headers and Roush axel backs and can tell you there was absolutely no performance difference between my stock axel backs and when I put my Roush on.
To dive a little further into the theory, going from a so called "restrictive" factory axel back to a straight through design like Roush with virtually no restricksion whatsoever should have made some noticeable difference in performance if the vendors claims were accurate.

The aftermarket Cai is another great example of cleaver marketing and is in theory actually LESS of a cold air intake as the true Cai that comes from the factory, as it is a completly sealed box and provides more then enough airflow to our N/A engines.
Again they got me suckered in to buying one thinking I was getting an upgraded part for my car.
When I had my stock airbox the inlet ambeint air temperature was ALWAYS much lower the my Airaid Cai, especially driving at low speeds around town, and in traffic there was a ridiculous difference between the two, why, because it's breathing in all that yummy hot air my chrome plated headers are producing because it's not a sealed box.
Just my 2 cents.

As for the American Muscle dyno I'm sure they will post a video of how a throttle body spacer increased hp, again your looking at stuff that a vendor sells and will do whatever they came to sell their products.
I love AM and buy just about all my stuff from them but you have to remember they are in the business of selling aftermarket parts and will market whatever they can to remain in business.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...mufflers-.html

Might look into how much work piecing one together would be. Just wish it was motorized but I'm sure it could be modified easily to be able to do that. Just add a gear and a small motor.

They actually make a bolt on kit for the V8 but not for the V6 but as you can see in the site I posted, it's for all models. I even found some listed for V6 or V8 Camaro's.

To get a 2015+ Roush setup like I discussed earlier is outrageous unless I could find it somewhere else.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Nice idea! It would give you control that for sure.
Your thread got me looking around at different exhaust set ups as I've been running my current ome for over 3 years now and stumbled on this one. I love the sound of both the x and h......well maybe the h a tad more. What do you think.
https://youtu.be/E9Pb4g4bMx4

Old 07-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What is your exhaust set up?
ST Hooker headers & catted Xpipe, with dynomax catback exhaust ( attached picture XD)

Quote:
I'm running headers and Roush axel backs and can tell you there was absolutely no performance difference between my stock axel backs and when I put my Roush on.
To dive a little further into the theory, going from a so called "restrictive" factory axel back to a straight through design like Roush with virtually no restricksion whatsoever should have made some noticeable difference in performance if the vendors claims were accurate.
I believe most axlebacks for our models claim between 2-8hp and from what I read you generally cant tell a change from the butt dyno. Once you get to 15-20 thats a whole different story.

Quote:
As for the American Muscle dyno I'm sure they will post a video of how a throttle body spacer increased hp, again your looking at stuff that a vendor sells and will do whatever they came to sell their products.
I love AM and buy just about all my stuff from them but you have to remember they are in the business of selling aftermarket parts and will market whatever they can to remain in business.
I think I stated I saw both mfgt and some independent dynos and both showed gains. I can go as far as to say some may exaggerate on their claims but I find it hard to believe multiple mgfts and some people all got together to collude about something such as whether they gained anything or not. Granted once again there are some folks out there like that however, I just cant believe all of them are.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	203401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	949.3 KB
ID:	203402  

Old 07-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly in that video, especially the last comparison.. they sounded very similar. But I do prefer the H-pipe and like it stated in the video, I've heard it's the least raspy pipe.

Found the Roush adjustable kit for the 2015+ on AM but only for the GT and it's only...

$2659.99 LOL

Roush Mustang Quad Tip Active Exhaust Kit 421927 (15-16 GT) - Free Shipping
Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #25

Region: California
from a sound perspective the borla touring is awesome. it is deep sounding but not obnoxious
blue_bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust