My Negative Experience with MPT - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM  

h

Reply With Quote Moderated Post
Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/lo...sion-ratio.php

As I understanf it, a tune comoresses more air units which alters the compression ratio from lets say 9:1 to 10:1, which can create knocking unless you use a higher octane. Like I said, I could ve getting bad intel but some on here see "compression" and get tunnel vision. I was always talking about ratios. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #72
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
there MAY be some compression change with tune if it varies when intake/exhaust valves open as (i believe) there can be some overlap. I am not convinced on this and I would not be willing to wager a beverage on it.

lets not confuse air/fuel ratios with compression ratios

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...post4261510322
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

I will post some more of my findings later when I have time and on a new thread. I find this subject very interesting as I have seen engineers "confuse" compression ratio with air fuel ratios. Needs further discussion without highjacking a thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #74

Region: North Carolina
Well, when you say compression ratio, I think of the motor's compression ratio, in our case 10.5:1. I guess it would technically be referred to as the static compression ratio. This doesn't change, you gain power in these tunes via...

1. Ignition Timing ( Setting off the plug earlier)

2. Cam Timing ( Advancing/Retarding the intake/exhaust cam. Sweep the cams, find out what works)

3. Fueling ( Commanding richer or leaner lambda at WOT )

You can also get rid of torque management. I haven't seen much of it at all on my car, during normal driving at least.

Now, you can increase cylinder pressure ( more power) by adjusting either one of these three. Does, it raise the compression, maybe? Again, don't typically see this term used here. Adjusting any of these can definitely get you closer to the knock border. There's a sweet spot for all of them.
AKDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I never have had a Bama tune. I have a couple MPT tunes, a Steeda and a Evolution Performance (Jon Lund) $200 tune. The MPT tunes pull the hardest. I'm running the Evolution Performance tune now, the shifts on my automatic feel a little better with this tune. My automatic will bark in second gear and a small chirp when it shifts into 3rd gear with all three tunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
I use just the SCT 91box tune and I get super firm shifts and the 2nd gear bark and 3rd chirp as well. It's my opinion that the heart of all these tunes are the same, improved shifting and compression ratio. There's really not much else to it from what I can tell.

And before some people jump down my throat, compression RATIO can be altered. It's the reason the octane requirement is altered. A higher air ratio requires a greater octane. Unless what I have managed to find was false anyway.

I'd be interested to know if you guys were chirping before or after Gears/Driveshaft install? If its before I'd also be interested in dyno graphs for comparison XD
Slick953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #76
Staff

Regular
Staff

AKD,

I'd be willing to bet a beverage you are right.

Mud

Old 08-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

No dyno for me yet, but I do know I wasnt chirping before the tune. Now i break loose often, but I have the crap oem goodyears so I imagine thats a big factor.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Im not saying anyone is right or wrong, i just find it interesting that there is info out there that claim tunes alter "compression ratio" to gain power.

What Im more interested in is how much more power a custom tunes gives you vs the box sct tune. I have a suspicion thats its not much, if any.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #79
Staff

Regular
Staff

I'll say it depends on tuner, and how close to limits to you want to get.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. Im just cirious how close it is between the big name custom tunes and the sct box tune. I may just buy a custom and butt dyno it then real dyno it if it seems warranted.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No dyno for me yet, but I do know I wasnt chirping before the tune. Now i break loose often, but I have the crap oem goodyears so I imagine thats a big factor.

And your still on stock gears/ds?
Old 08-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick953 View Post
I'd be interested to know if you guys were chirping before or after Gears/Driveshaft install? If its before I'd also be interested in dyno graphs for comparison XD

Mine was barking in second gear with my factory 3.31's but no chirps in third. I 'think' it was because third gear is a higher speed (MPH) at redline with the 3.31 gears than with the 3.73's i have now
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

3.31 came with my car and stock shaft still

Old 08-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

hmmm... I'm on 2.73 ....that might explain why you guys are chirping like crazy and I'm not.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

I honestly rarely chirpped before the tune. We will see when I get the new tread on in the Spring if they still break loose easy.

I also raised my rev limit to 7500.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:34 AM   #86
Staff

Regular
Staff

Slick, the 2.73's have to go

Old 08-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #87

Region: New Mexico
Well I was just asking about getting a MPT tune ­čśéhaha my search begins again for another tune company

Sent from my iPhone using Musta
Fidel67Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:46 AM   #88
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I am running the MPT performance 91 tune on my F-150.

No issues and my truck runs well.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Tinted Windows
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I honestly rarely chirpped before the tune. We will see when I get the new tread on in the Spring if they still break loose easy.

I also raised my rev limit to 7500.

I also never chirped until i ran tunes. I run 255/45-18 Cooper Zeon RS3A tires and still bark in second and a small chirp when the automatic shifts into 3rd .
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
MPT are the masters of tuning for our 3.7's. Not saying Bama is not great because they are just MPT is a bit better. For us auto guys, the shift points and the firmness of the shifts are pure perfection from MPT. The fastest running 3.7's are all MPT tuned! The tune is $100 and worth every penny. The engine braking for us automatics is insane and feels like a manual. For those of you who don't have an MPT tune, you are missing out big time.

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Agree^^^^^^
Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have a question for everyone. I have been having a problem with S197 brake boosters not recharging while on track. The problem is that when I lift off full throttle, the PCM continues to command 81 degrees plate angle for 2.5 seconds on my Steeda tune. If I put ANY throttle in during that time, it does not close the plate, and I get no vacuum to recharge the booster (you don't know excitement until you enter a braking zone expecting to drop 120 mph in 280 feet, and have no booster). This is actually worse on the Ford tune on both the 3.7 and the 5.0 (I instruct in a lot of late S197 mustangs, all of which have done this).

Has anyone found a tuner who has solved this, or do I need to either use a vacuum pump or a real engine management solution? I figure that if any of the email tuners have solved it, MPT would be the one. We recently tried asking the other people on corner ponies, and only got crickets.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:54 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I have a question for everyone. I have been having a problem with S197 brake boosters not recharging while on track. The problem is that when I lift off full throttle, the PCM continues to command 81 degrees plate angle for 2.5 seconds on my Steeda tune. If I put ANY throttle in during that time, it does not close the plate, and I get no vacuum to recharge the booster (you don't know excitement until you enter a braking zone expecting to drop 120 mph in 280 feet, and have no booster). This is actually worse on the Ford tune on both the 3.7 and the 5.0 (I instruct in a lot of late S197 mustangs, all of which have done this).

Has anyone found a tuner who has solved this, or do I need to either use a vacuum pump or a real engine management solution? I figure that if any of the email tuners have solved it, MPT would be the one. We recently tried asking the other people on corner ponies, and only got crickets.
One more reason I do not like drive by wire.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post

I would try contacting a tuner with this inquiry. As far as who tunes V6's, I would contact Lund Racing or MPT. They are probably the most experienced with V6's. I have a feeling all it will take is to command a higher (magnitude) negative torque value at high rpm, but low pedal position in the driver demand table. Maybe this will make the car want to decel hard. I wouldn't just buy a tune from someone and hope they will work with you on this specific issue. I would contact them with this question first and ask if there is anything they can do for you.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
I would try contacting a tuner with this inquiry. As far as who tunes V6's, I would contact Lund Racing or MPT. They are probably the most experienced with V6's. I have a feeling all it will take is to command a higher (magnitude) negative torque value at high rpm, but low pedal position in the driver demand table. Maybe this will make the car want to decel hard. I wouldn't just buy a tune from someone and hope they will work with you on this specific issue. I would contact them with this question first and ask if there is anything they can do for you.
Lund doesn't tune a lot of V6 mustangs. Matter of fact, never spoke to one on a forum that is tuned by Lund, 3.7 owner that is. MPT, yes.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Lund doesn't tune a lot of V6 mustangs. Matter of fact, never spoke to one on a forum that is tuned by Lund, 3.7 owner that is. MPT, yes.

Fastest NA 3.7 V6 Mustang (Z28this) was tuned by Lund .

Let's think about it, who tunes 3.7's...(I know there are tons of others not mentioned, who could/ would do it)

MPT
Lund
Bama
Steeda

Doesnt seem like the bottom two will do it. 2011+ Ford's all tune the same (the structure and relationships of all the tables in the PCM) except ecoboost/speed density cars. Lund knows Fords probably better than anyone. Lund would be a great person to go to for a specialty request like this, so would MPT. Just giving some options as far as who this guy could contact for info/help with a very particular request.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Just an fyi, Z's Na record has broken by several folks these days.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Just an fyi, Z's Na record has broken by several folks these days.
I was wondering about that, hadn't kept up with it in a while.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDMB View Post
Fastest NA 3.7 V6 Mustang (Z28this) was tuned by Lund .

Let's think about it, who tunes 3.7's...(I know there are tons of others not mentioned, who could/ would do it)

MPT
Lund
Bama
Steeda

Doesnt seem like the bottom two will do it. 2011+ Ford's all tune the same (the structure and relationships of all the tables in the PCM) except ecoboost/speed density cars. Lund knows Fords probably better than anyone. Lund would be a great person to go to for a specialty request like this, so would MPT. Just giving some options as far as who this guy could contact for info/help with a very particular request.
Now I have heard about one 3.7 being tuned by Lund. Ha ha ha. That's the only one I have heard on any 3.7 mustang forum say they have a Lund tune. All the performance 3.7 guys roll MPT! They are the masters of the 3.7 tune.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:52 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

My first tune was from Evolution Performance in New Jersey. Bought around August 2010. Jon Lund owns Evolution Performance and also writes the tunes. I'm on my second tune from them and running one now in my Mustang
Old 09-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
My first tune was from Evolution Performance in New Jersey. Bought around August 2010. Jon Lund owns Evolution Performance and also writes the tunes. I'm on my second tune from them and running one now in my Mustang
I assume you have a 3.7?

Old 09-01-2016, 12:01 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. I ordered my 2011 v6 Mustang in February 2010 and it arrived in May 2010. It was the 1st and only 2011 Mustang in my area for 3 weeks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang