My Negative Experience with MPT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM  

h

Reply With Quote Moderated Post
Old 07-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My Negative Experience with MPT

So I have always had great things to say about MPT, I have always recommended them as the best tuner, but today I am pretty damn pissed for lack of better words.

Went to take the v6 to get inspected, and yes the car is catless, but it should still have passed. I have tuned no less than 30 cars myself that have all passed a legal inspection with a single "not ready monitor." My 5.0 tuned by Shaun from AED passed inspection while catless with a single not ready monitor. We get the v6 back and it has failed with 3 not ready monitors, all related to the cats.

Pretty irritated, I call MPT and speak with Jr, or Jt, or whatever his name was and he was honestly the most useless person I have ever spoken to in my life. The conversation consisted of me asking if there were revisions that could be made since I have never had a catless car fail before and basically his only response was that it wasn't his problem. I explained that I have years of tuning experience, I know how turning off rear o2s work, that my tunes, as well as my personal cars with tunes from other tuners pass, so what is different on yours? His bored and half assed responses lead to me just hanging up on him. I don't like being rude, I don't like having to raise my voice, I don't like having to be that person, but I was honestly so frustrated with his "sucks to suck" attitude that I will no longer be recommending MPT tunes.

I know one person is not going to break a company, I know just my opinion isn't enough to probably change most people's minds, I know that I have a catless car and its just my problem anyways, but at the end of the day that was the worst customer service I have ever encountered in my life. At least put forth the slightest amount of effort is all I am asking, clearly there is something you are doing wrong that others are not.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I may as well say what most are thinking; "Did you expect anything different"?

You are running an open system without cats. The emissions failure is due to the absence of a catalytic converter. Sure, you can turn off the O2 sensor signal without triggering a light, but if the machine hooked to your OBDII port is looking for a reading that is not there you will be flagged as having a problem.

If you want to pass inspection, and be catless, I would suggest doing a mil delete and having the O2 sensors turned back on. The sensors will give a reading and the machine will be happy.

I'm not so sure you can blame this one one the tuning.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
idk, he said he's had tunes by other companies on catless cars that passed no problem.

either way volt, i was considering MPT honestly until reading this. with something like a tune, you have to expect great customer service, especially when its a custom tune on your daily driver and you need your car working.

reading this makes me reconsider them and continue researching other companies with better customer service. guy sounded like an asshat, and believe me, i've got even less patience than you!
MPT Performance Tune,Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace,Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I may as well say what most are thinking; "Did you expect anything different"?

You are running an open system without cats. The emissions failure is due to the absence of a catalytic converter. Sure, you can turn off the O2 sensor signal without triggering a light, but if the machine hooked to your OBDII port is looking for a reading that is not there you will be flagged as having a problem.

If you want to pass inspection, and be catless, I would suggest doing a mil delete and having the O2 sensors turned back on. The sensors will give a reading and the machine will be happy.

I'm not so sure you can blame this one one the tuning.

Did you even read my post? In the past 5 years, and i kid you not no less than 30 cars this is the first failure and it is 100% tune related. That is the most irritsting part.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
with something like a tune, you have to expect great customer service, especially when its a custom tune on your daily driver and you need your car working.
Agreed. Looks like my decision to go with Lund vs. MPT has been made a little easier.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Well 30 out of 31 is still good. Put the cats on, go pass inspection, remove them and quit Whining about Failing!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Well 30 out of 31 is still good. Put the cats on, go pass inspection, remove them and quit Whining about Failing!
I don't want to speak for him, but it seems like he's upset with the bad customer service much more than not passing inspection. People write reviews about companies' customer service on this forum all the time, so I also don't get why this is considered whining.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I was thinking about switching from steeda to MPT after hearing so many good things about MPT.

Any company that makes money buy selling a service to an individual should have a certain level of professionalism when dealing with their customers. His response being "That it wasn't his problem" tells me that their level of customer service is pretty piss poor. It may not be their problem, but as a paying customer you deserve a better answer than that.

This has made me reconsider. What's a few more HP when I have to deal with rude *** employees.

Thank you for the heads up Voltwing.
2012 Mustang Club of America Edition Silver Ingot V6 Premium, 6MT, BBK Shorty Headers, Mak Performance catless H-Pipe (not MAC), Magnaflow Street Catback, Airaid CAI, MPT 93R Tune, 80mm Throttle Body, Ported Intake Manifolds, SR Lowering Springs, SR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Lakewood 50/50 Shocks, Steeda Heavy Duty Strut Mounts.
2012MCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Did you even read my post? In the past 5 years, and i kid you not no less than 30 cars this is the first failure and it is 100% tune related. That is the most irritsting part.
I read your post completely. You clearly stated that you failed due to no cats. Your car is running an exhaust that deletes the cats.

I understand your frustration. I don't know how the tuner is at fault though. The tuner is not in control of the emissions testing tech or machine.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012MCA View Post
I was thinking about switching from steeda to MPT after hearing so many good things about MPT.

Any company that makes money buy selling a service to an individual should have a certain level of professionalism when dealing with their customers. His response being "That it wasn't his problem" tells me that their level of customer service is pretty piss poor. It may not be their problem, but as a paying customer you deserve a better answer than that.

This has made me reconsider. What's a few more HP when I have to deal with rude *** employees.

Thank you for the heads up Voltwing.
It is possible that the customer service was poor. I don't know, only the OP knows.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I read your post completely. You clearly stated that you failed due to no cats. Your car is running an exhaust that deletes the cats.

I understand your frustration. I don't know how the tuner is at fault though. The tuner is not in control of the emissions testing tech or machine.

The tuner is in control of what they turn off in the tune. Read the OP again, every single car i and others tune passes inspection with 1 "not ready" monitor. Hers failed with 3, meaning they turned off too many things in her tune. When i addressed this, the guy from MPT said "the cats are either on, or off, there is no in the middle," which is 100% wrong.

Here is a screen shot of the Cobb ATR software. Every box here is a CEL of some sort that you can turn off. Obviously any emissions related boxes will trigger "not ready" codes. Basically someone over there got trigger happy and when i tried to address it they blew me off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CEL.PNG
Views:	139
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	203533  
Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The tuner is in control of what they turn off in the tune. Read the OP again, every single car i and others tune passes inspection with 1 "not ready" monitor. Hers failed with 3, meaning they turned off too many things in her tune. When i addressed this, the guy from MPT said "the cats are either on, or off, there is no in the middle," which is 100% wrong.

Here is a screen shot of the Cobb ATR software. Every box here is a CEL of some sort that you can turn off. Obviously any emissions related boxes will trigger "not ready" codes. Basically someone over there got trigger happy and when i tried to address it they blew me off.
Interesting info to have.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Volt. My only advice is to not talk to them over the phone. Explain clearly in an email that you need a revision and what boxes you need checked, this has always worked for me in the past.

You have to understand that 99.99% of phone calls that MPT takes, are from complete idiots. They have no idea what to say to someone who knows what they are talking about.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Livewire is right, when I speak to others who are not as educated as myself this happens^.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
So I have always had great things to say about MPT, I have always recommended them as the best tuner, but today I am pretty damn pissed for lack of better words.

Went to take the v6 to get inspected, and yes the car is catless, but it should still have passed. I have tuned no less than 30 cars myself that have all passed a legal inspection with a single "not ready monitor." My 5.0 tuned by Shaun from AED passed inspection while catless with a single not ready monitor. We get the v6 back and it has failed with 3 not ready monitors, all related to the cats.

Pretty irritated, I call MPT and speak with Jr, or Jt, or whatever his name was and he was honestly the most useless person I have ever spoken to in my life. The conversation consisted of me asking if there were revisions that could be made since I have never had a catless car fail before and basically his only response was that it wasn't his problem. I explained that I have years of tuning experience, I know how turning off rear o2s work, that my tunes, as well as my personal cars with tunes from other tuners pass, so what is different on yours? His bored and half assed responses lead to me just hanging up on him. I don't like being rude, I don't like having to raise my voice, I don't like having to be that person, but I was honestly so frustrated with his "sucks to suck" attitude that I will no longer be recommending MPT tunes.

I know one person is not going to break a company, I know just my opinion isn't enough to probably change most people's minds, I know that I have a catless car and its just my problem anyways, but at the end of the day that was the worst customer service I have ever encountered in my life. At least put forth the slightest amount of effort is all I am asking, clearly there is something you are doing wrong that others are not.
I'd call back and ask for someone more knowledgeable to speak to. I remember with Bama I had someone similar that really had no idea what I was talking about with their V2 tunes awhile back. I called back a few hours later and got someone who not only knew what I was talking about but also took the time to get me all hooked up.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Seriously? One bad phone experience and the company is suddenly a POS and you're done? Call again and ask to speak with the head tuner or their customer service and get it resolved. This happens with every company, you just happened run in to a guy with no clue . It happens. Suck it up, calm down and try again. This happens to me with SiriusXM, AT&T, Bama, Lund, LMR, etc., and dang near any company I've ever dealt with. If I don't like who I'm talking with, I'll say goodbye and call back to get the next customer rep in line. You've paid for the service and now they owe you that service. Don't walk away angry and give them the satisfaction
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
SR Performance Lowering Springs | J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines
BMR LCAs w/Brackets | BMR Panhard Rod Support | Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Hello

Move to a state without inspections and problem solved.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Tinted Windows
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2673ad View Post
Hello

Move to a state without inspections and problem solved.
Yeah, we live in Texas, i think ill stay
Old 07-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, we live in Texas, i think ill stay
It's hard to beat TX, unless you're in GA

Old 07-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Wow, I feel so stupid with all this terminology. I know when I did my tune, I just plugged the damn thing in and did what the tuner told me to do on the screen.. Wow this thread literally gave me a headache... Yoooowser !!
SolarFlarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Volt. My only advice is to not talk to them over the phone. Explain clearly in an email that you need a revision and what boxes you need checked, this has always worked for me in the past.

You have to understand that 99.99% of phone calls that MPT takes, are from complete idiots. They have no idea what to say to someone who knows what they are talking about.
Totally agree that this is what happened. I had a similar experience with an asshat customer service rep at Steeda when I got my first tune. After I complained directly to TJ on this forum, he connected me to one of the actual tuners (Matt Henschke) who is the one that I have been directly communicating with for the past 2 years now, and he has been fantastic.

Volt - sorry about this frustrating experience you had and you deserve to be pissed. this JT/JR dude sucks. Maybe you should try to talk to a real engineer/tuner at MPT who can talk with you at your level before you give up on the company entirely.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
^+1
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts
SR Performance Lowering Springs | J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines
BMR LCAs w/Brackets | BMR Panhard Rod Support | Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If you think MPT has bad customer service then don't go to Diablo Sport! I got the same kind of response from them when I called about a tune problem that I had. I think that once they get your money , your on your own!
FSTPUNKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
It's hard to beat TX, unless you're in GA

Except SC beats out GA. Nobody can drive in GA. That's why people keep smashing into all my vehicles...

I miss Texas though, maybe not so much Ft. Hood or Killeen, but Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christie, etc..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Except SC beats out GA. Nobody can drive in GA. That's why people keep smashing into all my vehicles...

I miss Texas though, maybe not so much Ft. Hood or Killeen, but Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christie, etc..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Texas, in all reality, is an entire Country in itself. There is a little bit of everything in TX.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

anything is better than NJ, boys.

disgusting summer weather, asshats from the north invading our shores during the summer, and atrocious taxes.

the worst state in the union, i tells ya!
MPT Performance Tune,Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace,Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 07-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When i addressed this, the guy from MPT said "the cats are either on, or off, there is no in the middle," which is 100% wrong.
lol I agree with others I would call and ask for someone else because hearing what you say reminds me of my conversation with them about there custom tune form. Conversation as follows:

Me: Hi, Im calling because there's a question on your custom tune form that ask regarding cats. The only answers I'm allowed are "No change Stock Cats" or " Catless/Rear O2 delete".

Customer Service: What's the issue?

Me: I don't have stock cats (high flow cats/aftermarket xpipe) and I'm not catless....

Customer Service: There is no middle ground, because the cats are either on or off.

Methinking Dafaq)...ok so you dont tune for that?

Customer Service: It won't make a difference, I would just chose stock cats..

Me: OK....

Quote:

disgusting summer weather, asshats from the north invading our shores during the summer, and atrocious taxes.

Yeah taxes are outrageous...thank goodness they didn't pass that stupid Gas Tax
Slick953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No disagreement here. I like my freedom and rights. In particular I am fond of the 2nd Amendment. You are too close to NY for me.

Plus, in NY I may have my sugared drinks and other unhealthy dietary items restricted or monitored. However, I can purchase Scotch by the gallons and no one will care.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:50 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
While I can sympathize with the customer support you received, none the less, you are upset that they will not do anything about your illegal setup, and getting it to pass inspection. I realize you've done this before on several other vehicles, but in the end it's illegal to run it this way on public roads. Can't see how blaming a company for not assisting you in running an illegal setup is a legit complaint.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:52 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Didn't sound like OP was blaming the company, just wanted decent customer service that would include a person on the phone for a few minutes to act like they want to see if they can help or assist.

I agree with you volt. I give my money to companies and I expect them to treat me like a person. All too often these companies that provide car services think everyone is an idiot and they are a god of some sort. They talk down and are condescending and less than helpful. So I'd feel the same way. It's obviously not in the work culture to go the extra mile for the customer at this establishment.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
While I can sympathize with the customer support you received, none the less, you are upset that they will not do anything about your illegal setup, and getting it to pass inspection. I realize you've done this before on several other vehicles, but in the end it's illegal to run it this way on public roads. Can't see how blaming a company for not assisting you in running an illegal setup is a legit complaint.
This is exactly what I said. Maybe your wording is better than mine.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

At the end of the day it is ultimately her car and her decision. She decided she'd rather just take the H-pipe off and go back to stock cats, so the Lethal Catless / resonated H-pipe is now for sale in the FS section.

3.7 Lethal Performance Catless / Resonated H-pipe
Old 07-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

so who's a good company to go to for a tune nowadays then? bama seems like the most advertised (mainly bc of AM) but who else does a good, decent tune? all i really want to do with mine is get rid of that horrendous hesitation between like 2000-2500 rpms when you floor it, and then all of a sudden it takes off. that's all. i don't ask much...then again, paying over $400 to get rid of that pisses me off but whatever lol
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I'd still go mpt.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
I'd still go mpt.
+1
Slick953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang