Acceleration is slower than it should be? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Acceleration is slower than it should be?

Okay, so I've got a 2011 pony package v6 manual . Mods are Bama 93 race, JLT cai , BBK throttle body, and axle back exhaust . Rest of the exhaust is stock . Also have 19 inch amr with almost brand new all season tires (forget the tire name off hand ) ....I thought my 0-60 should be somewhere in the mid 5s at the very least. I don't take it to the track because there just isn't one close by where I live . Anyway as of recently I have only been getting mid low 6 with my best out of probably 15 runs being 6 flat . Am I just not driving it well enough ? I have messed around with launching and around 3k seems to work best. At least that's what I think but maybe I'm wrong ...any advice? Oh and also stock 2.73 gears ( i know changing gears makes a huge difference but not in my plans as of now)
potvins cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Everything I've read says cai, tb, and axle back really don't add much hp at all. The rims are probable slowing you down a little as I can accelerate my 14 v6 with stock 17s without spinning so the wheels/ tires are adding weight.

It's also hard to say one way or another because I've read a lot about the track apps not being 100% accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yea true but combined with a tune it should add at least a some power, or at least I thought it would lol
potvins cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
With just a 93 octane tune (Jon Lund) my 2011 automatic did 5.7-5.8 but i had 3.31 gears at the time. I think your times should be better than what your getting.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I set up my SCT tuner to monitor the knock sensors after loading a 91 MPT race tune. What I found is that under hard acceleration it is pulling timing, reading over +5. The hot weather is most likely contributing to the problem. It could be that I have a bad tank of 91 octane ( I live in Colorado). The end result is that I am losing allot of HP. I'm planning on using an octane booster to try to correct the problem. The product I'm ordering is Torco, found on Amazon. In short, monitor your knock sensors, it could be your not getting the full benefit of your tunes.
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Most Octane Boosters do not work and if you google the reviews of the different brands you will loose HP. You tube had for lab studies also that was useful to watch. They mostly a waste of money.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Most yes. Do some research on Torco.
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, thanks.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Premium cars with 2.73's are mid 6 second 0-60 cars. Add a tune and you get to 6 flat, change the gearing and you get deep into the 5's. The magazines tested the base interior 3.31 cars on sticky tires to get the low 5 second 0-60's.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I've got the same car with pretty much the same mods except I've got BBK headers and a stock throttle body. You're only going to get low 6's with that combo. I've got 3:55 gears for mine that I'm planing on installing in the next couple of weeks. That should get me into the mid 5's. I'll let you know how it works out

How did the throttle body work out? I've been thinking about getting that

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yeah my 14 v6 premium with 2.73's does low 6 seconds and everything else is stock so that seems about right. Also what helped me get a low 6 I think it was almost a flat 6 when I tested it was resetting the fuse that controls the transmission I think it's fuse 47. Before doing that I was running high 6's. Also when I tested mine and it got a flat six was in pretty hot weather probably close to 90 degrees and it was on 87 octane on a bad country road without launching the car. Now what I will tell u is there is definetly something weird with the stock tune on my car. Some days it'll just be an absolute beast (especially after taking it in to the dealer for service) and will jump so hard coming out and the tires will chirp a bit while other days the car will be an absolute dog and come off the line real slow. I would attribute it to different variables such as weather and roads and all that kind of stuff but the difference can be seen just stopping turning the engine off and filling up the gas tank. So I guess maybe try resetting the fuse and see if that gets u anywhere especially if you notice the shifts aren't as good as they should be and also I've gotten my best times leaving my car in automatic sport mode rather than shifting it myself.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang