Uggg!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Uggg!!

So my beloved 2014 sixer has been officially declared as totaled. A moment of silence please... At least I'm given free rein to strip the car of parts so expect a fat post from me in the for sale forum. (Shop closed for the weekend, jack, jack stands and tool boxes in the truck preloaded for a dawn patrol raid tomorrow morning. These guys had no idea what I can do in a few hours!) Here's the thing: I decided to bite the bullet. Going with 2017 V6 or eco boost. Thoughts? One of those few times an old guy gets upset and cashes down. (NO, I have a kid in college and another going in two years so a GT isn't in the cards and YES the other guys insurance gave me no foreplay.)

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Eco. Seems to be more aftermarket support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You know the v6 inside out. Agree more "mods" available for the Eco, but at a cost. College isn't cheap, so priorities would come in play. Not much difference in 16 vs 17, may be some good deals on left over 16s. On line adds around NE FL have some base GTs very close in cost to a Prem Eco auto, big stero.
If I were looking at an Eco, I've pretty much decided I'd have to have the PP, not because I need it, but it's there.
Go look at Mustang6G forum & see what the likes/dislikes are. Drive each one (all you can)
Good luck. Post pictures.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
If you want something to build down the road I'd go Eco with the performance package and like mentioned there are more mods coming out for it so you can get some good power down the road....BUT.......With children in college and just about going to college nothing wrong with a 16 V6 or 17,you'll get a good pony with ok power and a nicer ride and have a nice trade-in in 4-5 years when you can move more funds around......JMHO...
ranger56528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
id stick with the 6 personally. I'm not a fan of the eco. sure it's cool and all, but idk. i like the na stuff.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
MPT Performance Tune,Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace,Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Are you looking for an auto or manual? If auto I'd buy a cheap beater civic or something and wait for the 2018s with the 10spd autos.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
17 is a nice ride. Id go with either one just make sure its loaded with the good stuff!

Are you building your own on ford.com?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
So my beloved 2014 sixer has been officially declared as totaled. A moment of silence please... At least I'm given free rein to strip the car of parts so expect a fat post from me in the for sale forum. (Shop closed for the weekend, jack, jack stands and tool boxes in the truck preloaded for a dawn patrol raid tomorrow morning. These guys had no idea what I can do in a few hours!) Here's the thing: I decided to bite the bullet. Going with 2017 V6 or eco boost. Thoughts? One of those few times an old guy gets upset and cashes down. (NO, I have a kid in college and another going in two years so a GT isn't in the cards and YES the other guys insurance gave me no foreplay.)

Go with the Eco. It's a fun little car if you get the right options. There also some simple things you can do to get it to respond really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Doyal_McNeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
^ I rode in an Eco once. Sounded like a 4-banger trying too hard. And I've seen some reports of the Ecos blowing up when pushed/modded too far--we are talking Ford quality here.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #10

Region: Alaska
Things to consider;
The v6 has very little in the way of available options.

When you add the 051a package to get it comparable to a base Ecoboost the price difference is about $500.

There is much much more support for the Ecoboost than there is for the v6
Even though the HP between the two is close the Ecoboost has a 40 ft-lb torque advantage right in the rpm range you drive on the street.

No 4, 6,10 or 12 cylinder engine is ever going to sound like a v8. If that is important you will only be happy with a v8.

Dave
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
^ I rode in an Eco once. Sounded like a 4-banger trying too hard. And I've seen some reports of the Ecos blowing up when pushed/modded too far--we are talking Ford quality here.
"pushed/modded too far"

You think your v6 is going to fare any better? I haven't seen people blow up their sixxer, not at all on this forum.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
"pushed/modded too far"

You think your v6 is going to fare any better? I haven't seen people blow up their sixxer, not at all on this forum.

I would think the Eco is better suited for mods. Although how far you can push it has been trial and error, which explains the recent failures.

Doyal_McNeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I think some of the early tuners for the Ecoboost didn't know what they were doing just like the 2011 5.0 were having problems with piston #8. I don't know if i could pick between the Eb 4 or V6, it would be a toss up . I waiting to see how the new, less weight and smaller Challenger looks in a few years
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Frankly --- it would be the "flatulence in a can" sound of the EcoBoost in the Mustang that would keep me from going that route. That engine sounds GREAT in the Focus RS, but ---- not so much in the Mustang. Have you driven an Eco yet?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
you can get 15 gt's with decently low mileage for less than a new eco or 6
Old 08-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Frankly --- it would be the "flatulence in a can" sound of the EcoBoost in the Mustang that would keep me from going that route. That engine sounds GREAT in the Focus RS, but ---- not so much in the Mustang. Have you driven an Eco yet?
Interesting comment, when I first got my Ecoboost it was so quiet you couldn't tell what the engine sounded like. I put on a couple of 14" Magna Flows and replaced the resonator it is now perfect, IMHO, for a daily driver and is one of the best sounding turbo 4s I have had in my 30+ years of owning a turbo 4s.

FWIW, I was at Mustang Week in Myrttle Beach a couple of weeks ago and never heard so many foul sounding 5.0s before. Don't know what they were running for an exhaust but being these cars sounded bad. There were certainly lots of very good sounding ones too.

Dave
Old 08-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Interesting comment, when I first got my Ecoboost it was so quiet you couldn't tell what the engine sounded like. I put on a couple of 14" Magna Flows and replaced the resonator it is now perfect, IMHO, for a daily driver and is one of the best sounding turbo 4s I have had in my 30+ years of owning a turbo 4s.

FWIW, I was at Mustang Week in Myrttle Beach a couple of weeks ago and never heard so many foul sounding 5.0s before. Don't know what they were running for an exhaust but being these cars sounded bad. There were certainly lots of very good sounding ones too.

Dave
For me, with the top down, the stock 5.0 exhaust is just about perfect. If I could have it MAYBE 10% louder (that's what tunnels are for though!!) I would be happy. I agree that there are many obnoxious sounding aftermarket 5.0 exhausts, and they pay good money to make their cars sound that way. It's beyond me why some want to have their cars sound like they do -- just plain ugly and cheap sounding -- not exotic at all.
As for the sound of the EB, I am going on several magazine test reviews, and I must admit, I've never driven one. The most recent Motor Trend comparison in the August edition, of the Camaro and Mustang 4 cylinders (although the Mustang won) states (referring to the Camaro engine):
"It's no V8, but it sounds pretty good for a 4 banger and way better than the mumbling Mustang."
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
"pushed/modded too far"

How many 3.7s have you read about on this forum that have blown up from mods? I've been here four years and know of one, alefire, and it was due to a bad tune after installing a turbo.
It's not a bullet proof engine by any means but please back up your comments when you make claims.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyal_McNeff View Post
I would think the Eco is better suited for mods. Although how far you can push it has been trial and error, which explains the recent failures.

^^This exactly!^^
Failures will happen when finding out a new engines limits.

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
How many 3.7s have you read about on this forum that have blown up from mods? I've been here four years and know of one, alefire, and it was due to a bad tune after installing a turbo.
It's not a bullet proof engine by any means but please back up your comments when you make claims.

I would think the percentage of 3.7 being modified more than an exhaust and/or cai is extremely small compared to an Ecoboost. The basic tune, cai, exhaust on a 3.7 doesn't add enough power to stress the engine. Where as with the Ecoboost it is really easy to go to far with just a tune.

Dave
Old 08-08-2016, 04:53 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
v6/eco....tough call.

I prefer the simplicity of the V6 but believe Ford is phasing it out. I would drive both but unless there is a noted performance increase I would not pay extra for the Eco.

note I like the base model so the way Fords lets you option it would not be a problem. The only upgrades I would want would be an alarm and the biggest gear ratio Ford offers.

I know it stinks but I would be happy it was totaled...financial hit for sure but at least you don't have the chance of a never the same car again.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
You can get a 14 GT for about the same price as a new V6 when it has been discounted. If a GT is what you want they are more affordable than what you might think and should be even cheaper once fall sets in.
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Uggg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

I've only seen 2 v6 owners on this specific forum with FI, one with a blown motor. There's 1 other on I believe SVTP.

Compare that to every 2.3 owner on FI. There's obviously going to be a greater amount of blown engines. Slapping a CAI and an axle back exhaust isn't going to stress the 3.7 at all compared to pushing more boost in a 2.3.

Tym_v6 seems to think the EB motors aren't well built in comparison to the v6, when in fact if you push the 3.7 too far it will blow up, just like any other motor.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Need those stock mufflers?
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I got my stocks sitting around

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #26
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

I'm good Die. Getting ready to make a post in the for sale area. Funny thing, two really, about this past weekend. Dealer said no problem with my pulling parts off. After a few hours on Saturday and a few more on Sunday my "mobile chop shop" completed it's mission. Made a couple of Facebook Mustang posts I had stuff for sale. One guy came to where I was stripping the car and bought the quarter window louvers, rear GT500 spoiler and hood scoop on the spot. I think the dealer thought I was going to get just my shift knob or something. Pride in two days of strip work that retrieved: AirRaid CAI, BBK 73mm throttle body; Performance Pack Engine Cover Alcantara shift and e-brake boots, Raxion Navigation System w/ back up camera, Boss grilles (upper and lower + surround for mounting in V6), BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Panhard Bar Brace, Roush hood scoop, GT500 spoiler, quarter window louvers, Trident Axlebacks, strut tower brace, JLT Oil Seperator, my FR wheel center caps and only then... my cue ball shift knob.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 08-08-2016, 04:16 PM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Old 08-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I prefer the simplicity of the V6 but believe Ford is phasing it out. I would drive both but unless there is a noted performance increase I would not pay extra for the Eco.
I would contend the Ecoboost is simpler than the v6. The v6 has 2 more pistons, rods, cams, 4 more valves and 1 more cam phaser. I just don't see a double overhead cam v6 being considered simpler than a double overhead cam inline 4 turbo.

Dave
Old 08-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Looks like the choice will be between the Ecoboost w/ Performance Package or (don't laugh, I have a kid in college) or a Focus Hatchback. Local dealer is clearing out all their 2016s and my wife is putting the guilt on me hard. I'll know Saturday as that's car shop day, do or die.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #30

FWIW, I traded a Focus ST hatchback for the Ecoboost Mustang. The Mustangs trunk is much larger than the area under the hatch in the Focus.

You can use that as a reason to get the Mustang, it can carry more cargo.

Dave
Old 08-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #31
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
FWIW, I traded a Focus ST hatchback for the Ecoboost Mustang. The Mustangs trunk is much larger than the area under the hatch in the Focus.

You can use that as a reason to get the Mustang, it can carry more cargo.

Dave
Whatever I get, my cue ball shift knob is going in it!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
If you like "creature comforts" and the upgraded interior, then you have only one choice. The ecoboost has the upgrades. Can't get anything but a base car with the 3.7 now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Whatever I get, my cue ball shift knob is going in it!
The Focus ST is a blast to drive though. They've got some fully loaded new 2016 ST's up in RVA for ~24-26k I believe.

Do we still have time to go back and get the shorties off the car?!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Sheehy on Midlo there in RVA brother. They have always done me right and beat everyone else's prices before the haggling even starts. Yes, I'll be there when they open. BTW, "loaned mufflers" are now a gift my friend.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sheehy on Midlo there in RVA brother. They have always done me right and beat everyone else's prices before the haggling even starts. Yes, I'll be there when they open. BTW, "loaned mufflers" are now a gift my friend.
Wonderful gift!

That's where I bought my 2014 from. Worked with Eric. I test drove the sterling grey focus ST a few weeks ago so if they still have it, don't buy that one. I ran it pretty hard

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang