*URGENT* 2011 Mustang (no cats) P2098 code, leave soon on road trip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Region: Alabama
*URGENT* 2011 Mustang (no cats) P2098 code, leave soon on road trip

Hey there. I just ran into an issue with my new-to-me 2011 Ford Mustang that we just bought a couple weeks ago.

The last owners of it were kind of idiots and decided to take the catalytic converters out for more "performance", and added aftermarket mufflers so the exhaust sounded louder. We didn't know they took them out at the time of purchase and were somewhat rushed though it all but it's too late to go back on the deal. Anyways. The car originally threw catalytic converter inefficiency codes which makes sense as there was no efficiency to be had.

I bought an SCT X3 3015 tuner to hopefully turn off the rear O2's with the preloaded strategy tune on the device, as well as change the revs/mile due to aftermarket tires. The tune uploaded fine and the engine ran slightly louder, but I didn't think much of it. Today after about 70 miles I had a P2098 code come up, which is Bank 2 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean. While I could ignore the efficiency codes, this is something I'd rather not take chances on.

I was planning on leaving for a 2300 mile road trip back to school tomorrow, actually, so this timing is impeccable. I just need to know what I could possibly do about this so the car is safe to drive for that long of a distance and 6-8 hours of mountainous driving at a time.

Right now my idea is to disconnect the battery, wait until the fuel trims are reset, load the tune back (it's back at stock now and it ran louder and rougher, there's a slight buzzing coming from the engine when it's cruising, I'm really not sure about that), and drive it for a bit and see if the code comes back. I'm not sure if a custom tune from Bama could help at all to just ignore the rear sensors and run it at a stock fuel mixture, or if that's safe. I'm just a little out of ideas and out of time on it and would really appreciate any ideas or advice anyone has on it.

Best regards,
J
somesay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Does it have a cai or drop in k&n filter? If so there are good odds the filter hasnt been re-oiled. Id check that first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Engine looks like it's pretty much stock - just the exhaust that's been tweaked. No cai and the air filter is white so I presume stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What octane gas do you have in her?

Old 08-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
What octane gas do you have in her?

87. Found a crack leading into the exhaust on the driver's side though, so I'm betting that's our culprit. Last owner did a shoddy job piping it back it seems.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

When you used the tuner what octane did you set it to?

Leading into the exhaust or the throttle body?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
When you used the tuner what octane did you set it to?

Leading into the exhaust or the throttle body?

Set it to 87 and double checked that. Only other thing I set was tire rotations to get my speedometer correct on aftermarket tires.

It's towards the engine, right where the pipe drops for the cats. A nice visible crack in the pipe they attached. I'm taking it in to a shop ASAP tomorrow, and also giving Bama a call to see if I can get a custom tune for it.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Keep an eye on your engine temp. If it's truly running lean it will prob run hotter than normal

Old 08-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Keep an eye on your engine temp. If it's truly running lean it will prob run hotter than normal

I'm honestly quite new to most of this, do I just keep an eye on my oil temp gauge or are there other places I should be looking? I definitely want to nip the problem in the bud.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Your engine heat should stay around just under half of the gauge. Also if i were you id use 91 octane for the trip just to be safe.

Im no expert but it seems it would only read lean if the incoming air had an issue. Maf could be dirty. Leak in the intake. That kind of stuff.

Try to get ox on here, he's good with that stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2011 mustang