Magnaflow mufflers on a V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-1969, 07:00 PM  

h

Reply With Quote Moderated Post
Old 08-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Region: Indiana
Magnaflow mufflers on a V6

I own a 2012 3.7 mustang convertible. After I purchased it I installed mufflers from my neighbor's 2014 GT. The only thing I had to do is have a muffler shop enlarge my exhaust pipes from 2.5" to 3". They fit perfectly. I was thinking it would sound louder but as it turned out it was not much. I now want to install some Magnaflow street mufflers. If I order the ones for a 3.7 the muffler pipe size is 2.5" which are too small for my 3" exhaust pipes. The question I have does any know is the only difference between the 3.7 & GT Magnaflow mufflers the inlet pipe size going from a 2.5" to a 3" and if so does any know if the GT Magnaflow will fit my 3.7 V6?

Tks
12 Grabber Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you have already had the pipe enlarged to fit factory GT mufflers, all you have to do is order the Magnaflows that fit the GT. The main question is will the axle back 'hangers' line up? If the GT hangers fit right on your V6 then there shouldn't be any problems.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Depends on how the shop installed your GT mufflers. Mine cut after (towards rear of car) the over the axle connection? I have same GT mufflers on my 14 v6 vert & the shop cut pipe as close to muffler as possible. They then cut neck off GT mufflers 3" from muffler. Slightly expanded over axle pipe & welded to GT muffler.
If yours is like mine all you have to do is unbolt and take off you GT mufflers & bolt up the Magnaflow Streets FOR A V6.
If they cut & expanded towards front of car from over the axle bolted connection, you may have to have welded again.
Verify how yours are installed, before ordering.

If you get the Magnaflow Streets, please advise how you like.
Drone ???
thanks
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. On mine all the shop did was expand my existing exhaust pipe after the axle and bolted on the mufflers. I had to play a little bit with the hangers to get them centered.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Again, if you are are saying they cut & expanded between the OE muffler & bolts then aftermarket V6 mufflers should bolt up OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

He is saying it was the pipe going to the muffler they expanded.
Don't know the difference in the 2 versions, but it looks like you are stuck using GT mufflers or getting different OTA pipes for the V6.
I know from talking to the Borla Rep at Bristol the insides of theirs are different, but it is only the Borla I know for sure.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #7

Yes you are correct. My question is if I purchase a Magnaflow street series for a V8 (5.0) since my pipe going into my muffler is already 3" will the V8 mufflers fit on my V6? Are the dimensions of the V6 & V8 mufflers the same. Once again the muffler dimensions for the stock V6 & stock GT were the same. The only thing I had to do was adjust the rear hanger.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Mufflers are going to fit in the same place, the hangers themselves are the same, pipe size and the baffling are different.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang