Cheap cold air intake? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
That will also cause your engine to run lean. I had a k&n once that Dried out and started throwing lean codes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demarianx View Post
i dynoed before and after i still use this intake and for thoes who think the stock airbox is the same as cai get on a dyno and lift up that airbox cover during a pull its like turning on a shop vac so much restriction i made 10+hp after i switched
I dont disagree with your findings, obviously you have the dyno sheet to prove them. I do however disagree with your methods.

Almost all intakes will show gains over stock on the dyno due to the "restrictive" nature of the stock airbox. However, at speed, the stock airbox does create a "ram air" effect from its snorkel that is virtually impossible to replicate on the dyno, making the real world difference between intakes much smaller.

The real test would be to go to the drag strip and datalog an entire pass with each intake, and compare the average MAF flow of each intake (specifically at peak whp rpm). A rough rule of thumb is ~1 lb/min = 10 crank horsepower. Assuming a ~15% drivetrain loss for RWD applications, that would be about 8.5 hp at the wheels.

For your claims to be true, i would expect to see an increase of .85 to 1 lb/min of MAF flow in those logs to simulate an actual increase of ~8.5 to 10 whp. I look forward to your results.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #38
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I agree with DieHard about lifting the cover = bypass filter. I'm not sure as I have an Airaid CAI. From the conversation already we know those that have aftermarket CAI's have suspect thought patterns. Even those of us that scored it used for sound alone.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Chassis dynos are ok to get a tuning starting point and the only issue is that if you went to 5 different dynos you would most likely get 5 different figures.
A number of people have done drag strip tests with aftermarket CAI's and stock CAI's and come away with real world figures that say the aftermarket CAI is no better than OEM.
My 14 TrakPak had a Airaid CAI and canned tune and the tune was the deciding factor, not the CAI. When I ran the stock tune and CAI it gave a check engine light that it was running lean on bank 1. After talking with Airaid they reluctantly told me that on 35% of the Mustangs this happens with a stock tune an the CAI was made to be used in conjunction with their CAI...I just put an OEM performance CAI on my new pickup and it's surprising that the manufacturer only states it will increase airflow by 20% and says nothing about HP gain...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake