Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2 piece driveshaft

16K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Sterling S197 
#1 ·
Has anyone personally had issues with their driveshaft? I'm fortunate, when I first got my car I went about 130 on the freeway and my driveshaft is still in tact but every time I hit 80 and coast it has a really rough vibration and I read that that is he driveshaft. Any input?

2012 Kona Blue MCA Cyclone
AIRAID CAI
4.10 gears
Ford Racing Axle Backs
'Unknown Tune'

#2 ·
Don't drive 130 mph on the freeway Id*ot!

#3 ·
My OEM driveshaft had a noticeable, disturbing vibration from 100 on up. I replaced it with an Axle Exchange aluminum DS for peace of mind. I have 3.31 gears, so with your 4.10 gears the vibration will begin at a correspondingly lower speed. Vibration varies from car to car due to the amount of tolerance stack-up between the mating parts in the slip joint of the driveshaft. Some are smooth & solid, others (like mine) are more prone to vibration. Will it fail? It appears the numbers of DS failures are pretty small, but it has happened. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it worth it to replace the DS? That is your call.

Now, you mentioned hitting 80 and coasting, so I have to ask... do you have a manual transmission? If so, is it vibrating on deceleration between 2500 - 3000 RPM? If so, that is a quirk of the dual-mass flywheel.

So:
1) Vibration at and above a certain speed is probably the driveshaft.
2) Vibration on deceleration between 2500-3000 RPM is Dual-mass flywheel (stick shift only).

#4 ·
I run a lot faster than 130, and have not had any issues. A driveshaft is on my list, but it is after the flywheel.

#6 · (Edited)
Mine is a 2012 V6 automatic with 2.73 ratio
It always had a slight clunk when I had the Ford DS as well as a vibration
When letting off the gas the car would want to keep going so only the brakes would slow me down.
The stock two piece is very heavy and just plain crap on the 2012 V6 auto.
Stock 41 pounds
Aluminum is 20 pounds
Much less rotational mass to spin with the Axle Exchange DS
I plan on keeping my Mustang so the $$$ spent was well worth it.
My car is "NOT" lowered or any suspension changes from stock
Ronnie

Attachments

#7 ·
Good to know that I'm not the only one who weighs parts!

It is interesting that your stock driveshaft weighs 41 lbs... my stock driveshaft weighs 27.8 lbs. Is that is a difference between manual vs. auto, or did Ford change the driveshaft between 2012 and 2014?

By the way, my Axle Exchange DS weighed in at 19.4 lbs, very close to the 20 lbs you got, so I don't think either of our scales are off.

#8 ·
He's posted that before and it blows my mind each time. The stock driveshaft off my 2013 manual was 28-29lbs and the 3.5" dynotech I put on was 18lbs.

#9 ·
They changed them in 2013 or late 2012, I think that they may come from different company's
I love the scrap if dropped tag stuck to mine.
I think the 2011 and early 2012 had the problem Drive Shafts.
I had heard they had some sort of weight inside of the early ones for balance or something.
I do know my car felt like a real Mustang after I changed the thing.
Maybe someone on here replaced one on a 2011 and still has it to weigh it.
Most all brands of the newer cars use the two piece drive shafts now. My friends 2015 V6 Auto Camaro has a two piece.
I should have cut mine in half to see what was inside of it.
Too late now, It went for scrap.
Ronnie

#12 ·
How can it be considered a 2 piece if there's no carrier bearing in the middle that's bolted to the body? I just don't get that.

#13 ·
1 piece up to the spline/slip joint and the the other half of the spline/slip joint.
Just count the number of parts between the universal joints.
No spline in the transmission makes the driveshaft 2 pieces or it bends or breaks when the suspension moves.

#14 ·
Oh ok, that makes more sense.

#16 ·
No slip joint with the axle exchange

My axle exchange aluminum drive shaft has "NO SLIP JOINT", It has a universal joint on each end.
It bolted up perfect and I have had no problem at all in the 24,000 plus miles since it was installed.
Ronnie

#17 ·
My axle exchange aluminum drive shaft has "NO SLIP JOINT", It has a universal joint on each end.
It bolted up perfect and I have had no problem at all in the 24,000 plus miles since it was installed.
Ronnie
Does it have a rubber boot at one end? If so, the slip joint is under the rubber boot. It allows the shaft to change in length.

I have the same drive shaft. It has a slip joint. It has to have one, otherwise there would be really, really bad problems when the back axle moves up and down...

#18 ·
I'll have to look when I get it off the ground the next time.
It may have and I didn't notice it.
Brothers Speed shop installed it for me when I bought it.
You are probably correct.
I think I have a picture someplace and I'll look for it.
Ronnie

#19 ·
Yeah, it isn't as obvious as the one in the center of the OEM shaft. It's hard to see it under the car, but the end at the differential will have the rubber boot.

I went cheap and installed the drive shaft myself. It is a bit of a pain without a lift... :blink: One of these days, I'll get smarter and spend the money to have that kind of stuff done at a shop.

#20 ·
Sterling is correct

Hi James,
You are 100% correct
It does have a sleeve at the back of it that I never noticed before.
I found the picture I took when my car was on a lift.
I still say it is the best thing I have done to my V6 2012 Mustang because of the way the car will actually slow down when I remove my foot from the gas.
I think it was because the stock shaft was probably designed for high mileage or something and wanted to keep spinning where the 21 pound shaft has less rotational force and allows the engine to slow the car down. No vibration at any speed and no more clunk.
The best $700.00 I ever spent along with my Magnaflow streets.
Ronnie

Attachments

#21 ·
Instead of the slip joint near the middle of the drive shaft (factory) our aluminum driveshaft's are near the end for more support. :)

#22 ·
Ronnie, I agree - getting the aftermarket drive shaft for my car was money well spent. It's no big secret that my car has spent a lot of time at speeds where the original DS would voice its displeasure. The vibration from the OEM unit was annoying and disturbing, plus it has to have a negative effect on the bearing life in the transmission tail shaft and the diff pinion shaft assemblies. The smooth ride and peace of mind was well worth $700 to me. I just wish I would have done it sooner... one 4000 mile road trip with that thing buzzing the floorboards was one trip too many!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.