2 piece driveshaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
2 piece driveshaft

Has anyone personally had issues with their driveshaft? I'm fortunate, when I first got my car I went about 130 on the freeway and my driveshaft is still in tact but every time I hit 80 and coast it has a really rough vibration and I read that that is he driveshaft. Any input?

2012 Kona Blue MCA Cyclone
AIRAID CAI
4.10 gears
Ford Racing Axle Backs
'Unknown Tune'
TrevorMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Don't drive 130 mph on the freeway Id*ot!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
My OEM driveshaft had a noticeable, disturbing vibration from 100 on up. I replaced it with an Axle Exchange aluminum DS for peace of mind. I have 3.31 gears, so with your 4.10 gears the vibration will begin at a correspondingly lower speed. Vibration varies from car to car due to the amount of tolerance stack-up between the mating parts in the slip joint of the driveshaft. Some are smooth & solid, others (like mine) are more prone to vibration. Will it fail? It appears the numbers of DS failures are pretty small, but it has happened. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it worth it to replace the DS? That is your call.

Now, you mentioned hitting 80 and coasting, so I have to ask... do you have a manual transmission? If so, is it vibrating on deceleration between 2500 - 3000 RPM? If so, that is a quirk of the dual-mass flywheel.

So:
1) Vibration at and above a certain speed is probably the driveshaft.
2) Vibration on deceleration between 2500-3000 RPM is Dual-mass flywheel (stick shift only).
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I run a lot faster than 130, and have not had any issues. A driveshaft is on my list, but it is after the flywheel.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
My OEM driveshaft had a noticeable, disturbing vibration from 100 on up. I replaced it with an Axle Exchange aluminum DS for peace of mind. I have 3.31 gears, so with your 4.10 gears the vibration will begin at a correspondingly lower speed. Vibration varies from car to car due to the amount of tolerance stack-up between the mating parts in the slip joint of the driveshaft. Some are smooth & solid, others (like mine) are more prone to vibration. Will it fail? It appears the numbers of DS failures are pretty small, but it has happened. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it worth it to replace the DS? That is your call.

Now, you mentioned hitting 80 and coasting, so I have to ask... do you have a manual transmission? If so, is it vibrating on deceleration between 2500 - 3000 RPM? If so, that is a quirk of the dual-mass flywheel.

So:
1) Vibration at and above a certain speed is probably the driveshaft.
2) Vibration on deceleration between 2500-3000 RPM is Dual-mass flywheel (stick shift only).

I have an automatic. I'll look at it today on my way to school to see what the rpms are at when it does it. Thanks for the info.

2012 Kona Blue MCA Cyclone
AIRAID CAI
4.10 gears
Ford Racing Axle Backs
'Unknown Tune'
TrevorMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Mine is a 2012 V6 automatic with 2.73 ratio
It always had a slight clunk when I had the Ford DS as well as a vibration
When letting off the gas the car would want to keep going so only the brakes would slow me down.
The stock two piece is very heavy and just plain crap on the 2012 V6 auto.
Stock 41 pounds
Aluminum is 20 pounds
Much less rotational mass to spin with the Axle Exchange DS
I plan on keeping my Mustang so the $$$ spent was well worth it.
My car is "NOT" lowered or any suspension changes from stock
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full picture.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	205087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Scale.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	205088  

Name:	Scrap if dropped.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	505.2 KB
ID:	205089  
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know that I'm not the only one who weighs parts!

It is interesting that your stock driveshaft weighs 41 lbs... my stock driveshaft weighs 27.8 lbs. Is that is a difference between manual vs. auto, or did Ford change the driveshaft between 2012 and 2014?

By the way, my Axle Exchange DS weighed in at 19.4 lbs, very close to the 20 lbs you got, so I don't think either of our scales are off.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
Good to know that I'm not the only one who weighs parts!

It is interesting that your stock driveshaft weighs 41 lbs... my stock driveshaft weighs 27.8 lbs. Is that is a difference between manual vs. auto, or did Ford change the driveshaft between 2012 and 2014?

By the way, my Axle Exchange DS weighed in at 19.4 lbs, very close to the 20 lbs you got, so I don't think either of our scales are off.
He's posted that before and it blows my mind each time. The stock driveshaft off my 2013 manual was 28-29lbs and the 3.5" dynotech I put on was 18lbs.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They changed them in 2013 or late 2012, I think that they may come from different company's
I love the scrap if dropped tag stuck to mine.
I think the 2011 and early 2012 had the problem Drive Shafts.
I had heard they had some sort of weight inside of the early ones for balance or something.
I do know my car felt like a real Mustang after I changed the thing.
Maybe someone on here replaced one on a 2011 and still has it to weigh it.
Most all brands of the newer cars use the two piece drive shafts now. My friends 2015 V6 Auto Camaro has a two piece.
I should have cut mine in half to see what was inside of it.
Too late now, It went for scrap.
Ronnie
Old 09-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
He's posted that before and it blows my mind each time. The stock driveshaft off my 2013 manual was 28-29lbs and the 3.5" dynotech I put on was 18lbs.
I had my DS unbolted momentarily and it felt like it was every bit of that 40lbs.

For the record OP, no 2011-2014 v6 Mustang has ever had 2 piece drive shaft. I don't know why that false info keeps going around Our cars already have a 1-piece, with a stamped slip joint in the middle, as pictured above. That slip joint is the weak part of the shaft, because of its placement, at high speeds it starts to wobble and oscillate outward till it eventually breaks completely apart.

The 2015+ Mustang v6 switched to the same 2 piece type DS that the GT uses.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
I had my DS unbolted momentarily and it felt like it was every bit of that 40lbs.

For the record OP, no 2011-2014 v6 Mustang has ever had 2 piece drive shaft. I don't know why that false info keeps going around Our cars already have a 1-piece, with a stamped slip joint in the middle, as pictured above. That slip joint is the weak part of the shaft, because of its placement, at high speeds it starts to wobble and oscillate outward till it eventually breaks completely apart.

For the Record if you have 2 flanges on a driveshaft it is a 2 piece driveshaft, or as the guy at the driveshaft shop here said if it is not on a spline on the transmission it is a 2 piece, no matter how small the piece on the other side of the yoke is, it is 2 pieces
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

How can it be considered a 2 piece if there's no carrier bearing in the middle that's bolted to the body? I just don't get that.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

1 piece up to the spline/slip joint and the the other half of the spline/slip joint.
Just count the number of parts between the universal joints.
No spline in the transmission makes the driveshaft 2 pieces or it bends or breaks when the suspension moves.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok, that makes more sense.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post

I agree that you are technically correct - the term "piece" has traditionally referred to the number of spans between U-Joints... 2 U-Joints = 1 piece DS, 3 U-Joints = 2 piece, etc. The inclusion of a slip joint is irrelevant to the count. The GT 2 piece has a slip joint between 2 of the U-Joints, but that does not make it a 3 piece DS.

Having said that, I do recognize that the term "2 piece" is now the accepted convention for the OEM driveshaft. I don't like it, but I've accepted it, and have tried to quit beating this dead horse.

The ironic thing is that IF the OEM DS is a "2 piece" because of the slip joint, then the aftermarket shafts are also "2 piece" since the slip joint is still located between the U-Joints... it has just been relocated close to one end. The same thing would apply to the aftermarket GT drive shafts, since they also include a slip-joint. Yet, the convention is that the aftermarket units are called "1 piece" drive shafts...

OK, I'll quit whining now.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No slip joint with the axle exchange

My axle exchange aluminum drive shaft has "NO SLIP JOINT", It has a universal joint on each end.
It bolted up perfect and I have had no problem at all in the 24,000 plus miles since it was installed.
Ronnie
Old 09-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
My axle exchange aluminum drive shaft has "NO SLIP JOINT", It has a universal joint on each end.
It bolted up perfect and I have had no problem at all in the 24,000 plus miles since it was installed.
Ronnie
Does it have a rubber boot at one end? If so, the slip joint is under the rubber boot. It allows the shaft to change in length.

I have the same drive shaft. It has a slip joint. It has to have one, otherwise there would be really, really bad problems when the back axle moves up and down...
Old 09-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'll have to look when I get it off the ground the next time.
It may have and I didn't notice it.
Brothers Speed shop installed it for me when I bought it.
You are probably correct.
I think I have a picture someplace and I'll look for it.
Ronnie
Old 09-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, it isn't as obvious as the one in the center of the OEM shaft. It's hard to see it under the car, but the end at the differential will have the rubber boot.

I went cheap and installed the drive shaft myself. It is a bit of a pain without a lift... One of these days, I'll get smarter and spend the money to have that kind of stuff done at a shop.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sterling is correct

Hi James,
You are 100% correct
It does have a sleeve at the back of it that I never noticed before.
I found the picture I took when my car was on a lift.
I still say it is the best thing I have done to my V6 2012 Mustang because of the way the car will actually slow down when I remove my foot from the gas.
I think it was because the stock shaft was probably designed for high mileage or something and wanted to keep spinning where the 21 pound shaft has less rotational force and allows the engine to slow the car down. No vibration at any speed and no more clunk.
The best $700.00 I ever spent along with my Magnaflow streets.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drive shaft under car.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	205187  
Old 09-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Instead of the slip joint near the middle of the drive shaft (factory) our aluminum driveshaft's are near the end for more support.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie, I agree - getting the aftermarket drive shaft for my car was money well spent. It's no big secret that my car has spent a lot of time at speeds where the original DS would voice its displeasure. The vibration from the OEM unit was annoying and disturbing, plus it has to have a negative effect on the bearing life in the transmission tail shaft and the diff pinion shaft assemblies. The smooth ride and peace of mind was well worth $700 to me. I just wish I would have done it sooner... one 4000 mile road trip with that thing buzzing the floorboards was one trip too many!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang