Rusty BBK Long Tube Headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Unhappy Rusty BBK Long Tube Headers

Here are pictures of my Ceramic Coated BBK Long Tube Headers. They are four and a half years old with around 18,000 miles on them. I know they're nothing I can do about it but thought I would share this with you all . I hope they don't burn through, then I'll have to replace them [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Anyone else have this much rust? I don't drive my Mustang when snow and salt is on the highway. Doesn't snow very much in Tennessee. Just wondering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-09 20.44.04.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	205001   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-09 20.43.48.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	205002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-09 20.44.31.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	205003  
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Have you talked to BBK? Mine were two years old and they warrantied them. Not as much rust as yours and I had 30k miles on them

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
tombrochard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No, I haven't talked to BBK. I figure it wouldn't do much good. They only look bad when I have it up on ramps to change the oil. They look pretty good when looking in the engine bay. I'm hoping they don't burn through and will last for a few more years. I might be looking for a new Mustang around 2020, if I live that long
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Man, this is why it's worth the extra money long term for stainless headers.

Hope they don't rust through on you.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Man, this is why it's worth the extra money long term for stainless headers.

Hope they don't rust through on you.
I hope they don't rust through too. Stainless steel is the way to go but, I don't think stainless steel headers were offered back when I bought mine. If they were I fell on the band wagon for the ceramic coated long tube headers from BBK everyone was talking about
Old 09-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Try sending an email to Tim Gilpin, he's in marketing over there and was very helpful. Here's his email address:
tgilpin@bbkperformance.com

He helped me get mine warrantied, you could always ask him.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:12 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Hope you get it sorted out!.. I have had BBK Ceramic Headers on my car for just over 2 years!.. It's a DD year round here in Michigan, and I don't have any rust on them!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrochard View Post
Try sending an email to Tim Gilpin, he's in marketing over there and was very helpful. Here's his email address:
tgilpin@bbkperformance.com

He helped me get mine warrantied, you could always ask him.

Thanks for the link. I just emailed him
Old 09-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Hope you get it sorted out!.. I have had BBK Ceramic Headers on my car for just over 2 years!.. It's a DD year round here in Michigan, and I don't have any rust on them!..

Sent from the One and Only ME!..🍻
Mine were like new for 3 1/2 years then started looking rusty. A little more rust every couple months
Old 09-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
After having many sets of ceramic coated headers on different hot rods I finally switched to SS. Know mater what people say you need to maintain the ceramic finish or it will go away over time. What I always used on my ceramic coated hot rod headers was put out by Flathead Jack in Northern California...called Header Chit...it really worked and I used it from day one, whenever they got dirty or started changing color...Flathead Jack Catalog Page 148
If you have SS headers and want to bring them back to their polished finish or get rid of the straw color go to Amazon and use Compound 302...it is expensive but works magic on SS...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
After having many sets of ceramic coated headers on different hot rods I finally switched to SS. Know mater what people say you need to maintain the ceramic finish or it will go away over time. What I always used on my ceramic coated hot rod headers was put out by Flathead Jack in Northern California...called Header Chit...it really worked and I used it from day one, whenever they got dirty or started changing color...Flathead Jack Catalog Page 148
If you have SS headers and want to bring them back to their polished finish or get rid of the straw color go to Amazon and use Compound 302...it is expensive but works magic on SS...IMHO
I checked with flatheadjack today, they don't sell Header Chit anymore. bummer
Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I checked with flatheadjack today, they don't sell Header Chit anymore. bummer
Ok, the next best thing is to find the finest steel wool and a microfiber cloth, not sure if finest steel wool is 000 or 0000, then get some Mothers Aluminum Polish, this is about as close to Header Chit as you will get....then I'd start with just polishing the header with Mothers....do this 2 or 3 times to see if it will bring it back. If not go over it lightly with the steel wool, this will make kind of dull...then use the Mothers a couple of times like before and it should make it better. I've seen headers that were pretty bad and this procedure brought them back to 90%...I've never done this on rusted ceramic coated heads but it would be worth a try...IMHO

Make sure the headers are cold before you do the above.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Ok, the next best thing is to find the finest steel wool and a microfiber cloth, not sure if finest steel wool is 000 or 0000, then get some Mothers Aluminum Polish, this is about as close to Header Chit as you will get....then I'd start with just polishing the header with Mothers....do this 2 or 3 times to see if it will bring it back. If not go over it lightly with the steel wool, this will make kind of dull...then use the Mothers a couple of times like before and it should make it better. I've seen headers that were pretty bad and this procedure brought them back to 90%...I've never done this on rusted ceramic coated heads but it would be worth a try...IMHO

Make sure the headers are cold before you do the above.

I wish that would work but the headers are coated in ceramic so a metal polish doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if there's much of anything to protect them with, other than a ceramic stove top polish of some sort

Old 09-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I wish that would work but the headers are coated in ceramic so a metal polish doesn't do anything. I'm not sure if there's much of anything to protect them with, other than a ceramic stove top polish of some sort

If you're Ceramic headers are rusty this will help bring them back to original...as long as they are not too rusty.
If you want to maintain your Ceramic Coated headers use Mothers Aluminum polish...almost the same as Flathead Jacks Header Chit. I've done this on Ceramic coated headers for over 20 years...it really does work.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'll try the Mothers polish and let you know thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 09-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
What grade stainless does BBK use? Low grade stainless can develop a surface rust but shouldn't rust through.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

No idea. I'm not even sure if those headers are stainless

Old 09-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

FYI, most header manufactures use 304 stainless which will show slight signs of rusting over time if not maintained.
The best SS is 321 and is used in a lot of Turbo applications and will withstand temperatures over 1600 degrees with deforming. The only downside to 321 is that it's double the cost of 304...the main reason most header manufactures us it.
The only header manufactures I know that use 321 are Burns and SPD...there may be others also that I'm not aware of.
Coating SS headers is not necessary in my book as I've had both on race cars. The 321 holds heat 3x better than mild steel, is really easy to clean and will outlast the car in most cases...coating the 321 with ceramic is better...but not that much better than 321 uncoated...and reducing the underhood temperature...I'm not sure it's worth it for the small amount of reduction...IMHO
Old 09-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
I'll try the Mothers polish and let you know thanks!

too much free time?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
^ Meguiar's is better!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No idea. I'm not even sure if those headers are stainless

I'm not sure what BBK headers are made out of too, but I'm pretty sure they 'are not' made out of stainless steel
Old 09-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

The reason I think they aren't stainless steel is because you can only order the headers with a chrome or ceramic finish. Plus the web site says the headers are 'constructed from CNC mandrel-bent tubing'
Old 09-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
They are steel that are ceramic coated ($399) or chrome plated ($299)

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang