throttle body spacers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
throttle body spacers

don't believe there's a thread on this, was looking on AM's website and came across the airaid poweraid throttle body spacer. claims to increase mpg, low end throttle response, and it also says it produces a nice whistle sound, for $130 it doesn't seem like a terrible idea. does anybody know anything about these? if they work? if the sound improves even with an aftermarket exhaust?

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body
Tommybeata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I've always been under the assumption that TB spacers are a waste of money on port injected engines because of what they do. Great for carbs and TBI where the air and fuel are mixed at the same place. I see a lot of people running them on mustangs for some reason.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Only real benefit I've seen on these is allowing the usage of the 80mm throttle body without having to trim the fins in the v6 intake manifold. But you then need to modify the 80mm and have it tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

Region: Kentucky
I've been thinking about it to. Just to see for myself kinda thing.
justinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Spacers don't do anything on our cars. On a carburetor car, where the air and fuel are mixed before the cylinder it does make a difference. On our cars, the fuel and air are mixed in the cylinder and the spacer doesn't make a difference.

Think about it, if it really made a difference, why not just get a "pringles" can and really add a spacer? The 1/2" move of the throttle body isn't doing anything.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for your input guys. I've been researching throughout the day, seems like a waste of money.

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body
Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Could also be called a wallet spacer. That's where you money you spent used to be. No real benefit on our 3.7.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
Could also be called a wallet spacer. That's where you money you spent used to be. No real benefit on our 3.7.
Agree.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post

Thanks!

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body
Old 09-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It could be a nice place to tap and hide the lines for a dry nitrous system. Other than that.... Well, everyone else has covered the answer.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Spacers don't do anything on our cars. On a carburetor car, where the air and fuel are mixed before the cylinder it does make a difference. On our cars, the fuel and air are mixed in the cylinder and the spacer doesn't make a difference.

Think about it, if it really made a difference, why not just get a "pringles" can and really add a spacer? The 1/2" move of the throttle body isn't doing anything.
I been working on cars since the early 70's, This man knows what he is talking about.
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
I knew it wouldn't make any performance difference but I was interested a while back for the sound. I think I was hoping for a GT500 supercharger-ish sound (don't give me crap, you guy all think about that too) but the videos I've seen are closer to a sleeping man with a true "whistler".
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
I knew it wouldn't make any performance difference but I was interested a while back for the sound. I think I was hoping for a GT500 supercharger-ish sound (don't give me crap, you guy all think about that too) but the videos I've seen are closer to a sleeping man with a true "whistler".

that's what caught my attention when i saw it on AM's website, lol. I was intrigued, then they claimed better throttle response and gas mileage and i thought, why not? glad i came here before i made any dumb decisions throwing my money away, lol

2012 Grabber Blue v6
3.73 gears
SR lowering springs
SR Panhard bar
73mm throttle body

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang