What factor dictates an oil change - mileage driven or age of oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
What factor dictates an oil change - mileage driven or age of oil

I do not drive my stang that much with having another daily driver. My question has to do with what factor is the most important when it comes to doing an oil change - mileage driven or age of oil. I only use Mobil1 full synthetic. Currently I have only put roughly 3500 miles since the last oil change which was done October of 2015 just before my ride was put into winter storage for 4 months. The dealer sticker indicates that my oil change should be done in March based on a 5 month/5000 mile schedule. Soooo should I have really changed my oil back in March or can I wait until I get closer to having driven for 5000 miles. Thanks for your educated opinion and feedback.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
dealers push oil changes. Ford sez up to12 months/10K? miles. either go by the OLM (make sure it's reset) Or on my 5-6K year nice day toy (stored in winter I change mine every 9 months. That works out to be 4 times in 3 yrs which is one more than Ford suggests. That for me is a good compromise between milking every last drop and too often. You'll get other suggestions choose the one that helps you sleep best.

full synthetic with Ford filter.
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
In your case, I would go with Mud's advise. Oil become's acidic with age and exposure to the elements. Leave's nasty sludge in hard to get places when it just sits not moving.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2016, 04:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The OLM will go to 0 in around 12 months with 0 miles on the oil. I don't put many miles on my Mustang so the last two years I have been changing my oil every 9 months. That's around 1,100-1,700 miles, but I do keep track of the miles just incase I get to 3,000 miles during the 9 month period.

Everyone has their own way when it comes to oil changes. This is just the way I do mine
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Mines a daily, so I go by what the manual recommends.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

Region: Minnesota
Most important, change before Stang is put into storage. That way, it should be good till next fall unless of course you're extra hard on it or drive over 3-4K a season.
Docstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I'll get blasted for this but, when I check the oil on my dipstick and it starts looking dark I want to dump that oil out. I know full synthetic oil can be run longer. I also know somebody is going to get a great deal on my car if I trade it in. Changing oil by color just an old bad habit that I can't shake off.
Airaid CAI & PowerAid
Steeda K-Brace & Jack Rails
Total Diode Dynamics LED conversion
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I was going to ask a similar question. Got my Mustang earlier this year from CarMax. They changed the oil before I bought the car. I've put nearly 7000 miles on it as a daily driver. We make regular trips up into the mountains so a lot of highway too.
The dash says oil is still at 100%. I know the manual says change it every 10K. I would have thought that it would be at 50,60 or 70% by now?
I'm planning on switching to Mobil full synth when I do the change.
But why has the "guage" not changed?
ajkillgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkillgore View Post
I was going to ask a similar question. Got my Mustang earlier this year from CarMax. They changed the oil before I bought the car. I've put nearly 7000 miles on it as a daily driver. We make regular trips up into the mountains so a lot of highway too.
The dash says oil is still at 100%. I know the manual says change it every 10K. I would have thought that it would be at 50,60 or 70% by now?
I'm planning on switching to Mobil full synth when I do the change.
But why has the "guage" not changed?
Something is wrong with the oil monitor. You should be around 20 to 30% left. It resets to 100% when dealership changes it, if they reset it.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

my OLM got stuck 1x......it's a computer they glitch. fix if wtty/ignore if not.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

figure out how to reset it (manual) and see if it starts counting but as Red mentioned it's due soon.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Anyone else get their oil tested? Black stone labs sends you a kit. Take a sample, send it in with $30? $40? and they analyze it for you. Mines a DD (in nice weather) 8 months out of the year. I change oil (full synthetic) when I put her away. Each time (so far) they've said I could get a couple more thousand miles out of it which as mud put it, helps me sleep. That's 1X a year with about 8k miles on it.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Same thing i do with mine i drive about 5-6 thousand a yr change it when i put it up for the winter with mobile 1 15000 good to go next yr
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang