Battery Pad & Battery Warranty? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Battery Pad & Battery Warranty?

I have a 2014 V6 that is 26 months old 28,000 miles. I noticed today that the pad that goes around the battery is disintegrating. Not the pad actually but the outer black fabric. When you touch it, it just dissolves. Has anyone else had this happen? Is this something that is covered under the 3 year / 36 month warranty? Also, what about the battery itself? For the first time I noticed corrosion on the positive terminal and cleaned it off. Is that a sign the battery is about to go?
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Both the crumbling holder and the corroded terminal are evidence of acid leakage from a defective battery. Go see your dealer.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Had the exact same issue on my old sixer. I'm not sure I had a leak as the outer synthetic fabric was disintegrating more on the outside than portions that were in physical contact with the battery. It was frustrating but the material was crap anyway so I pitched it. I was considering one of those battery and master cylinder covers that AM sells.
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, Performance Package: Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Wire Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Urethane Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Boomba Racing BOV Adapter; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe; MBRP XP Catbacks; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Had the exact same issue on my old sixer. I'm not sure I had a leak as the outer synthetic fabric was disintegrating more on the outside than portions that were in physical contact with the battery. It was frustrating but the material was crap anyway so I pitched it. I was considering one of those battery and master cylinder covers that AM sells.
This sounds like what is happening to mine. I do not see any evidence of leaking but the synthetic fabric is just disintegrates. I do not look under the hood too often but there was no corrosion two months ago. I
Living in Tucson, I have never gotten more than 2-3 years out of a battery. The only question is whether the battery and cover are covered under warranty. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Batteries spit acid out of the vents when they "leak", spraying acid on everything outside the battery. That is why the outside of the cover was crumbling. It is usually caused by overcharging, but defective batteries can also "spit:.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Region: California
Normal wear and tear

Just recently happened to my V6. The outside cover was cheap and easy to replace. I was having terminal corrosion problems. The battery was still strong but vapors leaking from the battery were corroding the positive battery cable (cable replacement cost $350) so it was simple math to just get a new battery. QED problem solved and applied some dielectric grease to the terminal for added protection.
Davo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo007 View Post
Just recently happened to my V6. The outside cover was cheap and easy to replace. I was having terminal corrosion problems. The battery was still strong but vapors leaking from the battery were corroding the positive battery cable (cable replacement cost $350) so it was simple math to just get a new battery. QED problem solved and applied some dielectric grease to the terminal for added protection.
Just curious. How old was your battery when you replaced it? My positive harness, cable, terminal are perfect. Corrosion was on negative terminal.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I know the '14 Mustang alternators reduce charging voltage in hot weather so as not to overcharge. This usually takes a half hour of driving from a cold start after the car sits for a few days. Motorcraft batteries have a "magic eye" on top that should show a green dot if the battery electrolyte level is good & fully charged.

If the eye doesn't show anything the battery may have low electrolyte and need distilled water added up to the filler hole bottom after prying up the 2 top covers. It's not really "maintenance free" and an original '14 in AZ might need a drink

Battery warranty is usually pro-rated but Ford might go for it if the alternator charging is out of spec and boiling the water out the vents.
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Your battery must be leaking. The battery blanket on my 2011 is still like new
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

Region: California
Battery replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondivots View Post
Just curious. How old was your battery when you replaced it? My positive harness, cable, terminal are perfect. Corrosion was on negative terminal.
My battery was 3 years old. I got a great deal from the dealer on a new battery and a $25 rebate card
Davo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Do you keep your engine bay clean. Not judging, just curious. I have a 14 and keep the bay clean... no issues so far.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty clean, but not spotless. I get under the hood every 4-6 weeks to pull the fuse to reser learning. Last time no corrosion. This time big corrosion on negative terminal. That is when I noticed fabric on pad cover that goes around the battery is disintegrating. Battery "eye" is green. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to ask whether this is normal. Guess I would like a replacement cover if battery ok, but wonder why is this happening?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Let us know what you find out. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Crazy, But Good, Experience at Dealer

I took my 2014 to the dealer this morning to ask about the sudden corrosion on the negative terminal and disintegration of the fabric surrounding the battery cover. Since the battery is 26 months old I was not hopeful of getting a replacement but was concerned about the fabric disintegrating. The dealer found the post was leaking acid and they replaced the battery and cover under warranty. They also did an oil and filter change and rotated the tires under my "Maintenance for Life" plan. Finally, they performed the work for the airbag recall. You can imagine I left a happy camper.......for awhile. I ran an errand after leaving the dealer and thought I should take a quick look to admire the new battery. The battery and cover were new and looked great but I noticed some blackish liquid on a bracket. Then I noticed the same blackish sticky residue on the fender next to the hood. When I tried to wipe it off it took the paint down to bare metal. Apparently, the battery leaked acid when the technician lifted it out and dripped on the fender. AARGH! I immediately drove back and they confirmed what happened and quickly agreed to "100%" take care of it. 20 minutes later I drove out in a Ford Focus loaner which I will have at no charge for a few days while they repaint the area.
What a day, but I certainly am happy at how the dealer handled the situation.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
bad tech...great dealer
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
bad tech...great dealer
Indeed, if they do a good job with the paint.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

They are saying it will be ready on Monday so will advise on the quality. However, they have a good body shop (I have used it on other vehicles) and the actual area affected was only the size of a quarter.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Its not the size its the blend job. I agree with tym... be VERY picky and do not leave until you inspect it thoroughly in good light. Also look everywhere for overspray.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Not my first rodeo or body shop visit, but thanks.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Then why are you on here?

Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, did not mean to offend you man.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Not offended, just trying to help. I had to get a fender painted last year and i didnt notice the overspray on my glass roof until a few days later. Just trying to be helpful

Old 10-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondivots View Post
This sounds like what is happening to mine. I do not see any evidence of leaking but the synthetic fabric is just disintegrates. I do not look under the hood too often but there was no corrosion two months ago. I
Living in Tucson, I have never gotten more than 2-3 years out of a battery. The only question is whether the battery and cover are covered under warranty. Thanks.
Wow, the last battery I had in my truck lasted 10 years. The battery in the Grand Cherokee was replaced last year after 7 years of abuse.

I have a hold top Optima that was used as a secondary battery in my truck. It was, and still is connected to the 1500 watt power inverter under the seat. I have had the Optima long enough for the plastic to fade. The battery is still going strong. I do have the batteries not in use on a trickle charger / battery tender that are in my dead truck. Regardless, the lifespan of your battery seems short to me.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

When my battery is on its way out, I'm planning to go with an Odyssey AGM battery. Anyone have experience with AGM batteries?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 10-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Hey revv, what part of the country you live in? Im wondering if the cold winters up north shorten my battery life... usually 6 yrs tops up here

Old 10-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Hey revv, what part of the country you live in? Im wondering if the cold winters up north shorten my battery life... usually 6 yrs tops up here

The cold definitely has an effect on battery life. I am in GA, right on the Savannah River.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my OEM Tacoma batt lasted 11 yrs!!!!
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its not the size its the blend job. I agree with tym... be VERY picky and do not leave until you inspect it thoroughly in good light. Also look everywhere for overspray.

Hawkstang: Interesting update based on your words of caution. I still do not have my car back from the battery acid on paint issue. The area involved was about the size of a quarter on the "ledge" right next to where the hood closes. Last Wednesday they told me it would take a couple of days. Latest update is their body shop delivered my car today but the service advisor rejected it due to excess "orange peeling". They sent it back for another try. I am not sure how much they are painting but this is turning into more than I expected. At least I have a free rental while they get it right.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

^Hopefully they're not just throwing excuses at you to cover for them f***ing up. Yes, that is how much I trust Ford stealerships these days after my experiences.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 10-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

They may have repainted the entire panel. Good that they rejected it though, I had to live with orange peel on my bumper. I wasnt letting that place touch my car again. Best of luck, I hope it comes back as good as it went in!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They may have repainted the entire panel. Good that they rejected it though, I had to live with orange peel on my bumper. I wasnt letting that place touch my car again. Best of luck, I hope it comes back as good as it went in!

Me, too. The affected area WAS very small.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Final report is the repaint of the spot with battery acid turned out perfectly. No overspray or issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang