More comfortable/softer and lower ride - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
More comfortable/softer and lower ride

I want to lower my 2013 V6 coupe by 1 inch at the front and back, In addition I was hoping to create a more comfortable/softer, less noisy ride. I can just hear most Stang drivers saying why the hell do you want a more comfortable/softer ride. The reason is because the previous vehicles (Nissan Maxima - 2 different models, BMW 325) I have driven in the past had softer, quieter rides. Can the indicated changes (1 inch lowering, and more comfortable/softer/quieter) be accomplished? If so with what parts. Thanks for your time and reply.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 05:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Your tires must have gone to crap. As far as 'road noise', my Mustang is one of the most quiet cars I have ever been in. I lowered with Steeda Sports springs. The one they make just for the v6 Mustang. I think you are expecting too much on how soft you want your Mustang to ride. If your all factory now, that's the softest ride you will ever have
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I doubt you'll find what you want. oem is high and soft.....anything lower gives you less room to absorb bumps.
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
More comfortable/softer and lower ride

Mustang were not built (and are not purchased) to be quiet.

Instagram: workshardplayshard
Old 10-02-2016, 10:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Understood. Thanks
Old 10-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you install a shorter shock you can lower without losing any suspension travel, which will let you have a soft ride while lowered. The tricky part there is finding the appropriate spring to pair with the shorter shock body, while having the appropriate spring rate for what you want. What you want is possible, but it is not going to be cheap, something to the order of $800-$1000 to do it "right."
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info. What I am definitely dissatisfied with is when I go over speed bumps, significant uneven roads, or up/down my driveway which is fairly steep I get a rather loud crunching like noise from the front suspension. It has been that way since day 1 so I do not think anything is wrong with the suspension parts. In your opinion is there a better setup that would eliminate such noise.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Lower control arms? I had mine replace when the car was a month old due to similar noises. There is a tsb.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Lower control arms? I had mine replace when the car was a month old due to similar noises. There is a tsb.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
Agree.^^^^^
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

FastFord13,

Sorry but I am not familiar with the term/acronym of tsb?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Technical service bulletin. The lower control arm issue is a pretty well documented issue, and has to do with the hydra bushing making the clunks and creeks that come from the from end. Mine was so bad that any amount of suspension travel whould produce terrible clunking and creeking. Im sure if you google "mustang lower control arm tsb number" it will pop up and look something like 11-07-8. You can then provide your dealer the number and have them verify the issue.
A tsb is something that ford motor co is aware of and makes that info available for all the dealers to look at, and if needed replaced under warranty.
Hope this helps.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

FastFord13,

I had my ride's front control arms and missing heat shields replaced this past Monday under warranty with no noticeable change in the noise coming from the front end. I guess I will just have to live with such???
Old 10-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well if the bushings were already shot when they replaced the heat shields then the noise would still be there.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Voltwings I would have to agree with you and what is frustrating is the fact that the service advisor indicated that the bushings were showing excessive signs or wear and drying out due to the lack of heat shields initially being installed on my ride. I have an extended warranty through my previous insurance company USAA that most likely would have covered replacing the bushings. Service advisor and service tech are off today so I need to follow up with them tomorrow and perhaps bring my ride back in when the driver side airbag recall parts arrive.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I hope they get it figured out for you.
Volt knows more then any service tech Ive ever had to deal with and will always provide top notch info!

Nice to see you pop up again Volt!

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I hope they get it figured out for you.
Volt knows more then any service tech Ive ever had to deal with and will always provide top notch info!

Nice to see you pop up again Volt!

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
I appreciate the kind words. It's been a hell of a semester so far, but i'm getting through it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang