I need some help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I need some help

What's going on everyone? I need someone....or actually a group to help me out with my exhaust setup.

I really want to keep my car. The more I drive it the more I love the underdog nature of this beast.

Its just the exhaust note is something that I've been working for a little over a year now and I am still stumped on the results.

Really would like to hear some 3.7's so I can get idea of what I am looking for, if its even achievable.

Thanks.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I need some help

What do you currently have and what are you looking for?

Several factors since some things cause drone, others rasp and some are extremely loud.

I'm happy with my setup of roush Axle back with BBK headers. The headers changed the tone and lowered the volume just slightly. Before the headers I was thinking about getting rid of them. I have no drone and it's only extremely loud with WOT.

I also have an Airaid CAI and BBK throttle body so that might effect the sound a little too.

Honestly the best way to decide is to hear them in person though. The average person doesn't have quality sound recording equipment to give you a true recording and then it will depend on what you listen to it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

@wmschoonover
That's exactly what I am trying to do. Get together with some other 3.7's that have some exhaust work done. We can make it a beer day or something while we all chill and shoot the *****. Westheimer parkway where the parks and huge parking lots are at is what I am thinking.

I've gone through a few set ups.

I had stock headers, stock mid and MAC Axle backs. Sounded decent until I bought the Lethal performance H-pipe with GT Resonators.

To tame the horrible rasp and drone I got from the H-pipe I installed two 23" jones exhaust glass pack resonators on the over the axle pipes.

This mod helped the drone to be almost gone but the overall rasp after 3k rpm's was still there and very angry too. (Very tin can --- tinny sound)

Decided that its my Chambered exhaust (MAC's) thats causing this sound to occur. Bought some Trident motorsports AB's and installed those and found the sound to be a lot better in the sense of its tone. (Deeper and more throaty) and the tin can sound was gone but there was this weird "Trumpet" like sound when smashing the throttle. Not a fan of that at all....

The rasp is still there but is its after 3.5k now instead of 3k. I also started having issues with the passenger side tip, it was starting to rub against the rear diffuser so I removed both tips in fear that the passenger side may fall off and cause damage to someone else's vehicle. I might just be crazy but...

Doing that has also changed the sound. Removing just the tips has changed sound to be more tamed and the trumpeting sound was also somewhat gone. I will be getting my pipes aligned by a shop ( so much for doing it myself....) so that I can reapply the tips and test the "trumpeting" sound I was talking about.

To say the least I am frustrated. I wanted to try and be different from others and stay away from having the traditional borla setups or magnaflow setups. But I may have too....

Still would love to hear other 3.7's first though...

Old 10-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in spring...my sound isn't the best out there but I'm happy with it.

2012 Kona Blue MCA Cyclone
AIRAID CAI
4.10 gears
Ford Racing Axle Backs
'Unknown Tune'
TrevorMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

@TrevorMCA
Thanks maybe we can set something up then.

I really want to keep the H-pipe so it would be nice to hear some 3.7s with full bolt ons and full exhaust setups.

Has anyone ever removed the stock mid pip and just ran straight piping from the headers to the over the axle pipes? Removing the X, H, Hybrid pipe completely?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

(Deleted rant...)

Old 10-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
All you really need to know is Borla S Type.

Instagram: @v6beast
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

@DiESeven
Appreciate the input.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Alabama
I went with MBRP axle backs, I'm pretty happy with them.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Magnaflow Street series , no drone, great sound with the CAI, TB.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I had roush, sounded good at idle and cruising but couldn't stand the rasp when wot. I currently have borla s-type and I'm not 100% satisfied with them. It all comes down to what each persons ears consider enjoyable. Some days they sound good, other days I feel like a ricer.
Cooolbreeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Appreciate the input guys.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
the touring are nice. I went from ATAK to touring to tame my sound a bit. want to buy my ataks? lol
Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter,
Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Haha no way. Thanks though

Old 10-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have Magnaflow Street Series and I'm happy with them. Quiet enough to 'not' be too loud when I added long tube headers, still no 'drone'. I think Borla S Type would sound about the same as my Magnaflow Streets. Either one would be a good choice

I'm old and remember when I was young in the 1960's some people would run their exhaust through a glass pack mufflers without an H pipe or x pipe. I remember they had a real pop, pop, pop sound. All these cars were V8's. Even as a young boy, I thought they sounded like crap
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
LOVE my magnaflows streets. Zero drone, all beautiful growl.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I already said it before on this post Magnaflows Streets are the way to go. It makes the car sound like a cross between a V/6 and V/8. You don't get the rice burner sound or drone at all.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Here is a video of my 3.7 V6 Mustang

I was going across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on Route 13 into Norfolk on my way home from the American Muscle show.
I just stuck my camera on the dash and was surprised how good the sound came out.
My MAGNAFLOW STREETS have a nice deep none annoying sound that I like a lot.
Watch the video and listen:

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Really do appreciate all in the inputs guy. Still would love to hear these in person before pulling the trigger on $600+ on Axle backs....

Old 10-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sitting still in some parking lot listening to a car being revved up will do you no good at all.
You really need to get out on the highway at a nice cruising speed to listen to the tone and if the pipes drone.
You "DO" have to find a Mustang with your engine and transmission with at least 10,000 miles on the mufflers to get the true sound.
I personally like my Magnaflow streets because if you did watch the video and listened, " NO DRONE AT ALL" Just a nice deep old style rumble.
It all depends on what you want, Loud and obnoxious or a deep rumble.
Your V6 will never ever sound like a V8 but at least the Magnaflow streets make a V6 sound "GOOD" and not like some screaming jap car.
Ronnie
Old 10-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Another good point Ronnie. That is why I would love to setup a meet with other owners. I would love to hear and drive other stangs. I would like to see how different better gear ratios are. 2.73's are a joke to some but I still feel my car is a beast with 2.73's so I do wonder how much more of beast is this car with 3.55's etc...

But you and I have the same mission and it sounds like you already accomplished that mission. I want a sexy sounding V6 not a deep V8 sound but not a Rice burner sound either.

Thats what I want out of my exhaust is a TONE and not just a SOUND....biggest battle i've ever had with modifying vehicles...

Really appreciate the video and yes the drone is almost not there and you hear more road/tire noise/the grumble.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes, Tire noise is bad but the original Pirelli's are almost worn out.
Michelin's will be on it soon.
Ronnie
Old 10-11-2016, 05:02 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Crappy Video off the back of my car, BBK Short tubes, Borla Touring and FRPP True X-Pipe
https://youtu.be/x7cLifJw6AY
A lot of wind noise but you can hear the exhaust when I get on it.
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds pretty good Siber damn wind though....

Old 10-11-2016, 11:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie and David Young have both heard mine in person.
Both of them have my second choice and Magnaflows Streets sound awesome, I knew I was going to get the short tubes and wanted a little mellower from the mufflers since I would get it from the headers
Old 10-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Ill try to make a good recording of mine tonight. I have the xpipe as well and it enhanced my note even further.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The price is just so high for Magnaflow streets, perhaps if it were the cat back system but not just the axle backs....Would love them but school and a new place is priority right now. May have to just put my exhaust project on hold....again...

Thank you guys!

Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Got mine for $570... not too bad

Old 10-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I guess so man. Just seems high for something that gives no benefits other than sound and part of me just wants to go ahead and get shorties first and then decide what needs to be done to the axle backs.

Or go get new gears installed....such a nerve racking mod though...

Old 10-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Go search on YouTube for siberexpress, I have a before and after with manual mufflers and the shorties
Old 10-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
The price is just so high for Magnaflow streets,
You get what you pay for.
Ronnie
Old 10-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
The price is just so high for Magnaflow streets, perhaps if it were the cat back system but not just the axle backs....Would love them but school and a new place is priority right now. May have to just put my exhaust project on hold....again...

Thank you guys!
I paid $300.00 on Ebay, like new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang