Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ecoboost Conversion

4K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  swhitfield2013 
#1 ·
Hello all decided to start my new build thread here I am currently TT my 2012 auto 3.7
current mods
kyb struts and shocks on pro touring springs 1.6"drop
custom cat-back exhaust
New engine 20k miles RIP First motor
3.73 gears(not installed looking to trade for 3.55's
MPT 93r-100 tune
Nitrous 125shot
CAI
wire tuck
So i have planned this out for about a year and finally pulled the trigger last month. I started by first getting me a set of turbos i lucked out and got a good set for 300$ shipped couldn't pass that up
I then grabbed a new set of manifolds from ford "shout out to white bear lake ford gave me some great prices order through the website its cheaper 37$ a pop great price
This is not my first turbo car so i was able to get almost everything i needed off ebay and local parts stores besides the adapter kit sold via supersixmotorsports their is a way to make brackets to fit the manifolds but my wielding sucks so i have to wait 3 weeks for the kit.
besides that i grabbed 65lb injectors for 325$ same ones sold by mpt only their cheaper on ebay for some reason
wideband 02 aem 185$
boost/oil/temp gauges and pod 140
reusing my old bov
intercooler is a toss up depending on your taste just went with what i knew would fit i.e i totally ripped off the hellion intercooler setup :):dance:
downpipe for now will reuse stock exhaust my goal is 450hp daily driver i will post pics as parts arrive and ask you guys lots of questions along the way a tune is gonna cost me around 700 i figure but i currently only need intercooler pipes and adapter plates to put everything on.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely interested in this build. Hope to dive in eventually with mine too. I've just about got it where
I want it cosmetically and with bolt on's but I know I will eventually want a bit more lol

Best of luck and can't wait to see your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#7 ·
update so I picked up some more goodies this week scored a pair of turbo smart BOV this week 80$ for both only one is for a 2015 and my turbos are 2012 so gotta modify it to fit no biggie car is at the body shop front steering and suspension is being replaced again just did it 2 weeks ago but oh well live learn still awaiting adapter kit and injectors

Attachments

#12 ·
Factory MAF is fine.

From what I've read it all depends on the size of pipe that the MAF is in, smaller pipe will have faster air moving through it and will max out the sensor sooner than a larger pipebwith slower air, Also the tuner will have to change the a setting (i believe the transfer function) of the maf. Also read that you can make a good amount of power in the stock one

Sent from my LG-AS811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
you are pretty much correct. MAF sensors are a standard 5v sensor, and smaller MAF housings will max out the 5v reading at lower amounts of airflow than larger ones. So naturally you would scale the MAF to a larger housing to gain more voltage headroom. Doing this too much however can really cause the MAF to struggle with resolution and can make tuning difficult. However, this is not typically a problem the mustang has, as the MAFs have fantastic resolution - the only time i have seen problems like this is taking a car with like a 2.5" MAF stock and going to 4" or so.

#11 ·
From what I've read it all depends on the size of pipe that the MAF is in, smaller pipe will have faster air moving through it and will max out the sensor sooner than a larger pipebwith slower air, Also the tuner will have to change the a setting (i believe the transfer function) of the maf. Also read that you can make a good amount of power in the stock one

#13 ·
Thanks for the maf info I have that sorted I'm still waiting on the adapter kit from supersix but my intercooler and piping should arrive this week sometime plan to get on the dyno by the end of the month Nov that is

Sent from my SM-G935T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#16 ·
Get the manifolds from white bear lake ford their cheaper and the gaskets from Tasca oil feed lines from white bear ford as well the turbo flange gasket seems to only be avalible via ebay though for some reason

Sent from my SM-G935T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#19 ·
That's what I was thinking too.

On that note though.... I find turbosmart waste gates for the 2011-12 but they don't say anything about the 13+

The stock ones look identical to me, does this mean there is a small difference I am not noticing or that an upgrade isn't necessary/possible?

I was wanting to upgrade them since the 11-12 was an improvement for doing such and I can only assume 13+ would be too if I could.

#22 ·
I remember reading that on the 13's and later they use a boost control solenoid that is controlled by the ECU. You can change the boost with a tune and have better control over it so an aftermarket wastegate provides no advantage, The 11's and 12's must have a different setup but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't been able to find out the lowest psi the wastegate can open at on the 13's and later, anyone know?

#21 ·
I was gonna get remanufactured ones so they should be like new.

$560 for a pair shipped.

I haven't bought any parts for this conversion yet, still deciding between 3.7L Ecoboost, Procharger or JMP Twin Turbos

Keep coming back to this setup though. Kinda like the idea of a custom install.

#23 ·
from what i have read it seems to be 10-12psi wastegate spring however from what i have gathered is a electronic boost controller is the best to use to prevent boost spike at low rpm if you go this rought a boost controller with overboost protection is probably gonna be a safe bet. seeing as these turbos are almost always in boost 1-2 psi as soon as you touch the gas spool is almost instant

#24 ·
So are the 13+ useable if they are ECU controlled and this isn't a stock item on this vehicle?

I planned on using a Turbosmart eboost street controller at this point.

So if I can use them I assume I won't need the waste gates as long as I'm using the eboost since they were designed to be electronically controlled or should I go for the 11-13 and get the waste gate and still use the eboost?

Not needing them would save me about $300.

#33 ·
They are useable, you can use aftermarket boost controllers, the only problem is the wastegate spring, if they are 12 psi like previously stated, that would be the lowest psi you could run and on stock motor 8 psi is about the limit. You could either modify the wastegate or try and fit a 11-12 wastegate onto the 13+ turbo, they might bolt right on

#26 ·
electronic boost controller > Manual boost controller. You will get a better power band and boost control going electronic but it takes a lot of time and work to dial it in, and if you're not tuning yourself and are relying on emails / dyno time it can become very costly.

I think just going manual in this case will be ok. It will save some time, some money, and in the end still give you a pretty quick car. You just have to be mindful of how much boost you are running. A quality boost gauge with warning lights is probably a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.