Another axle-back thread... with a twist. Back to stock? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Well, my stang is a 2014 v6 with the Roush exhaust backs that I put on along with a K&N CAI based on great reviews from Amazon. The only annoying thing was the vibration at certain low rpms that make my glove compartment and cup holder door rattle. However, I then added the BBK 73mm throttle body and BAMA race tune and it actually quieted down a lot, which I found disappointing because I like a louder sound. The next mod was my JBA shorty headers, and my tone changed again, bringing back the sound that I missed ;o).
So, if I can just find away to get rid of the rattle/vibrations from the glove box door and the cup holder door, I'll be a very very happy camper ;o).
Marcus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #37

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkrndl View Post
Just bought a 2014 that the previous owner put Roush axle-backs on. Lots of fun for now, but for me, the novelty will probably wear off soon... plus my wife HATES them and we commute together. So what are my options for stock-type exhaust? Will GT exhaust fit, or are the pipes a larger diameter? Will all years 11-14 fit? From looking at pics online, I can tell that '05-'10 and '15-'16 won't work...

Hoping to find some take-offs on Craigslist or eBay...

--rick
Hey I'm looking to buy roush tips! would you want to trade? I've got my stock V6 Auto mufflers, 42,000 miles on them. PM me or reply?
V6_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I've got some gt mufflers if you are in Florida. Just letting you know in case you are close and dealers don't have any.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Ok, so I finally tried the closest dealer... the parts guy told me the owner is REALLY strict about them not fooling with anything aftermarket. He said they normally send people looking good for go-fast parts to a speed shop about 5 miles down the road, and it's a place I know has a rep for Fords in general and Mustangs in particular, so I will give them a shot next...
Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I picked up a "brand new" GT manual set from my dealer yesterday. Guy said they probably had 10 miles on them and they are shiny on the inside.

Not a lot larger inside than the V6 manual set I have. Hoping they have a little more sound than my stock set but not all the WOT roar of my Roush set. Wouldn't be an issue but I leave for work at 4am so a little quieter would be nice lol

$50 for the set, now I have to get them adapted to my exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #41

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
I picked up a "brand new" GT manual set from my dealer yesterday. Guy said they probably had 10 miles on them and they are shiny on the inside.

Not a lot larger inside than the V6 manual set I have. Hoping they have a little more sound than my stock set but not all the WOT roar of my Roush set. Wouldn't be an issue but I leave for work at 4am so a little quieter would be nice lol

$50 for the set, now I have to get them adapted to my exhaust.

I predict that you & your wife will be happy with the GT axle-backs and be happy knowing that it didn't cost you $ what it cost me $$!

Let us know what you think.
dwlewis14424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Just have to go to a shop and have them swap the muffler connections from my stock set to the GT set. Want to be able to go back to the Roush if I'm not happy.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I also have some gt mufflers I considered swapping onto my 6 but I didn't think it would make a big difference in sound so I'm selling them but if you get them swapped I would love to hear them because if it sound good I may just keep them for myself and go to an exhaust shop.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Here is a video of a v6 with GT500 mufflers. I think I've seen them for sale for a couple hundred dollars. I think they sound pretty good https://youtu.be/hQBRJ0ER0oM
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Not bad sounds pretty good. It's a shame that the gt500 mufflers are so much more expensive than the gt mufflers. Probably because a lot of gt guys want gt500 mufflers on there cars especially the 13-14 style. I'm assuming with gt mufflers it wouldn't be as deep as though.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyredv6 View Post
Not bad sounds pretty good. It's a shame that the gt500 mufflers are so much more expensive than the gt mufflers. Probably because a lot of gt guys want gt500 mufflers on there cars especially the 13-14 style. I'm assuming with gt mufflers it wouldn't be as deep as though.
From what little I know and have read on Forums, the GT500 axle backs are the next step 'up' for people who want a little more volume on their GT's exhaust sound
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:56 AM   #47
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I may be wrong on this, but I read or heard someplace that the GT-500 Mufflers were made by Borla and are the Borla touring mufflers.
Maybe if someone ever takes the Borla factory tour, They can ask.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I may be wrong on this, but I read or heard someplace that the GT-500 Mufflers were made by Borla and are the Borla touring mufflers.
Maybe if someone ever takes the Borla factory tour, They can ask.
Ronnie

I believe borla makes the ford racing mufflers that are aftermarket. But I don't believe the gt 500 mufflers are.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #49
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I knew they made the Ford Racing Mufflers but I really don't know about the GT 500 mufflers.
Ronnie
Old 10-24-2016, 09:39 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I know where you can get a set of GT500 quad tips for $250, but they are in Ohio so shipping might kill you and you would still need the GT500 quad tip rear valance
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so I have a line on a set of 2013 GT mufflers for dirt cheap and the drive to get them isn't too bad. I have one problem: I don't have a set of stock V6 mufflers to cut the inlets off, and I am NOT about to cut up a pair of Roush mufflers. From what I can tell, the type of connection from the over-the-axle pipe to the muffler inlet is called a ball flange. Is it possible to get the female part of the ball flange coupling from an exhaust supplier and adapt it to the GT muffler? What other hardware am I going to need? I'd like to be able to sell the Roush mufflers complete with all the necessary hardware...
Old 10-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

The GT mufflers have the female ball flange on them, it's just too big for the V6 pipe. If it were me, I'd find something similar to the male end of theV6 pipe and a vice/anvil to form the GT around it then slap it on. I'm just going with the assumption all else will line up, I don't know that it will but hangers bend pretty easy. I wish they were all straight connections, it would make swapping aftermarket parts easier!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Just find a good Muffler shop that works on Street rods and Muscle cars.
It is amazing how they can fabricate pipes and make things fit that you would never believe would work.
It may cost you but it will be well worth it.
Call a speed shop for recommendations.
Ronnie
Old 10-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, Ronnie is right, doubt they'd charge you much just to mod an end.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah all hangers line up I actually mocked them up to see how far off it would be and it's not too much but yeah definelty need to reduce the gt or expand the stock v6 pipe no other way around it. Also make sure you have the ball type if the muffler shop can do it to avoid leaks. As for clamps I don't know if auto parts stores have one but the actual oem ford one is like 50 bucks from ford last time I checked. Also if you end up doing it and can make a video that would be awesome cuz I would love to hear it.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so here's the good news... Scored these off Craigslist for 25 bucks:

Ad said they're off a 2013, but when I got there the guy selling them said it was his son's 2014 with under 10k on it. Doesn't matter to me; the hangers are in the right places so it's all good. They were an hour and a half away, but since it was a beautiful country mountain road drive, I'm counting it as an asset instead of a liability.

Now for the bad news: Brought them by the local Midas, where I explained that the inlets on the mufflers are 2.5 and the pipes on the car are 2.25, and that I was hoping they could cut the female ball flange off the muffler and weld on a smaller one to fit the pipes on the car... he got a little spacey looking and said that you can't just get a separate ball flange like that, he'd have to weld the mufflers directly to the pipes at the axle.

really? Really? Well, hell, someone better tell Advance Auto Parts that:

And while you're at it, tell Summit and Jeg's too, they also sell them...

But I digress. I made an excuse about taking it apart myself to see if maybe they were the same size after all and got out of there pretty quick.

So now I have to find a place that has a clue. Both my regular mechanic and the local Ford dealer recommended a speed shop a couple exits down the interstate; but the guy there that I need to talk to is apparently never in at the times I can get there around my work schedule. He's not a morning person, he's out of town till Monday, he already left for the day, stuff like that for the last couple weeks.

Dang... for an easy job, this is getting to be a pain in the butt...
Old 10-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #57
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you need to find the shop that does custom exhaust.....hopefully you'll like it when done.

great chance to experiment with straight pipes!!
Old 10-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like you need a cutting tool to remove the end off the GT muffler so you can put that adapter on.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:49 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys so I saw a few videos of cars with gt mufflers on v6 cars for the most part they were 2010 or 2015 cars tho. Also they had x pipes or h pipes which I assume would make a sound difference. Anyways I'm assuming that the closest comparison of a v6 would be either a performance pack car or a manual muffler car. But those don't really make much of a difference the manual does but not so much the performance pack which supposedly has gt mufflers. So what do you guys think it would sound like. If it's a noticeable difference then I'll definelty get a muffler shop to install them either Wednesday Friday or Monday depending on how busy I am. Also how much do you guys think would be a reasonable price to get them installed heck if they don't want to install and just make them work I'll be happy with that too and I'll install them. Also what would be the best way to go about getting them done in terms of having it fully reversible and not messing with the over the axle pipe that way if I don't like it I can just install borlas when I save up. Can they just make the ball flange on the gt muffler a bit smaller and call it a day.Lastly I know nobody would ever see the bottom of the muffler but I would like to polish them if I can do you guys know if the material the mufflers are made of can be polished to a high shine.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Also I know I already asked a lot but the gt mufflers I have say man on the sticker on them I'm assuming it's because they were on a manual car. Am I correct in assuming this or do all the gt mufflers say man.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also I know I already asked a lot but the gt mufflers I have say man on the sticker on them I'm assuming it's because they were on a manual car. Am I correct in assuming this or do all the gt mufflers say man.

Yes. Man on GT mufflers are the manual ones. I have a set ready to install and I already cut the pieces off my V6 mufflers. Just a matter of getting time to go get them welded together. Tempted to just go buy a welder and do it myself lol.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Well heck, you guys are more observant than me. I've had these things since Saturday morning and I didn't notice that.

--rick
Old 10-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I noticed them soon as I got them I saw the manual and they sold them to me for 25 bucks and at first I was thinking I could make a buck on them then I saw that manual mufflers on a v6 sound much more throatier than auto mufflers.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Apparently though I was doing some more research and all gt cars come with the man sticker on them so I guess they all get the same muffler.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:49 AM   #65
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkrndl View Post
Ok, sounds like two good choices for me... the GT mufflers with V6 inlets welded on or some MT mufflers. Unfortunately I don't have stock V6 mufflers to cut the inlets off... my car came with the Roush ones and I'm not gonna cut them up if I can get $$$ for them. But at least I know which direction to go, and I will be hitting a couple of local Ford dealers to inquire about takeoffs. Thanks all!

--rick
A good muffler shop will easily make a set of inlet tubes to fit your V6. They will cut off the GT's, and weld up correct diameter tubes to fit yours.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A good muffler shop will easily make a set of inlet tubes to fit your V6. They will cut off the GT's, and weld up correct diameter tubes to fit yours.
And this they did. Unfortunately, I ended up paying more than I thought it should cost, but that's on me for not getting a dollar amount at an unfamiliar shop before okaying the work. To the shop's credit, they did the job right.

So now I have a quiet Mustang. The GT mufflers may be a LITTLE louder than the stock V6 ones, but I don't have them to compare to, just the Roush ones that were drumming on my head every morning on the way to work. I have to admit I do miss the rip-snort personality they gave the car a little bit, but it's worth it not to get the beginnings of a headache during every morning and afternoon commute.

Quote:
I also have some gt mufflers I considered swapping onto my 6 but I didn't think it would make a big difference in sound so I'm selling them but if you get them swapped I would love to hear them because if it sound good I may just keep them for myself and go to an exhaust shop.
Quote:
Yeah all hangers line up I actually mocked them up to see how far off it would be and it's not too much but yeah definelty need to reduce the gt or expand the stock v6 pipe no other way around it. Also make sure you have the ball type if the muffler shop can do it to avoid leaks. As for clamps I don't know if auto parts stores have one but the actual oem ford one is like 50 bucks from ford last time I checked. Also if you end up doing it and can make a video that would be awesome cuz I would love to hear it.
Ask and ye shall receive.

https://youtu.be/AgEkU1sWuOw

https://youtu.be/AgEkU1sWuOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Just have to go to a shop and have them swap the muffler connections from my stock set to the GT set. Want to be able to go back to the Roush if I'm not happy.
Check the video above. They're QUIET.

--rick
Old 11-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man. I think you are the first person to ever post a video of gt mufflers on a v6 with our 3.7 engine. It'll definetly help people that come after us looking to make this change to their car. The sound is pretty good but definetly not too much louder. I was going to go in and get mine done this weekend but I think I may just save my money for a different setup. Man I love the sound of the roush at idle but then on acceleration it gets real bad. Wish there was something with the roush sound at low rpm but without all the raspyness at higher rpms. Just out of curisoity how much did they charge you to get yours done if I go in I wanna make sure I'm getting a reasonable price.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

I paid too much. About $150 for him to cut off the old inlets, fabricate new ones, and install them in the car. I can see he did a good job so I'm forcing myself to live with it, but I really should have had him call me after he looked at what needed to be done and before he started the work to get a price. I've seen guys on other boards had a similar job performed for well under a hundred bucks.

I gotta be honest, I do kinda miss the "snarling beast"personality when you stomp on it, but I really needed it to be reasonable at highway cruising speeds.

--rick
Old 11-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #69
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You say he did a perfect job.
Be happy and move on.
You usually get what you pay for and some shop that would do it for $75.00 would probably really disappoint you.
Ronnie
Old 11-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

If he did a good job, don't worry about it. This forum has many horror stories of big dollars spent & poor workmanship received. As stated early on in your thread, I have GTs in my V6 vert and like them. There are a couple of really obnoxious sounding Mustangs in my area that make me appreciate what I have.

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang