Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Another axle-back thread... with a twist. Back to stock?

5K views 70 replies 19 participants last post by  parkrndl 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2014 that the previous owner put Roush axle-backs on. Lots of fun for now, but for me, the novelty will probably wear off soon... plus my wife HATES them and we commute together. So what are my options for stock-type exhaust? Will GT exhaust fit, or are the pipes a larger diameter? Will all years 11-14 fit? From looking at pics online, I can tell that '05-'10 and '15-'16 won't work...

Hoping to find some take-offs on Craigslist or eBay...

--rick

#2 ·
gt are bigger i believe, the pipes themselves anyway. but you may be able to put gt Axlebacks on. all years 11 to 14 will fit. borla touring are nice. I've got them on mine. I had ataks, and were too loud after a year for me, so I'm trying to sell them and got touring. they're nice. not as loud but still more growly than stock. expensive though.

#4 ·
I've been thru this, too

I'm a 3.7 convertible owner who wished for better sound from the axle backs; tried Magnaflow streets but the drone was so bad I took them off in a week! Decided on same year GT take-offs from NewTakeOff.com, went to the local muffler shop to have the OEM pipes cut off the 3.7 axlebacks & welded on the GT axlebacks. Resulted in a milder deeper sound that's at least satisfactory if not louder plus the rolled tips on the GT axlebacks look great! And, of course, NO DRONE!:thumb:

#6 ·
I too have a 14 Vert. Found some 14 GT take offs on Craigslist for $50. Muffler shop charged $40 to cut OEM v6 close to muffler. Cut neck off GT mufflers welded v6 inlet pipe to GT muffler. Done.
NO DRONE. Agree rolled tips look great. Sold old v6 auto mufflers for $25. So for $65 total I'm very pleased.
Agree also see if you can find some V6 manuals. They will bolt right on & sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#7 ·
Ok, sounds like two good choices for me... the GT mufflers with V6 inlets welded on or some MT mufflers. Unfortunately I don't have stock V6 mufflers to cut the inlets off... my car came with the Roush ones and I'm not gonna cut them up if I can get $$$ for them. But at least I know which direction to go, and I will be hitting a couple of local Ford dealers to inquire about takeoffs. Thanks all!

--rick

#10 ·
Thanks! I'm going to try to find a set locally to avoid shipping costs, but if I'm coming up empty, I'll let you know...

--rick

#9 ·
The manual mufflers have better looking tips that the roller gt, imo. I'd go Mt mufflers or gt500 but with the second you'd still need a donor set to get the connector from since they are also 2.5" vs 2.25" on the 3.7.

#11 ·
don't know how far you are from the shore of NJ, but I've got manual mufflers too.

#12 ·
Hi dwlewis14424,
Drone from Magnaflow STREETS Duh!!!!!!
I would probably bet you had Magnaflows but they sure were not """STREETS"""
(((Unless a previous owner punched them out or something))))
I would guess you may have had Magnaflow Comps.
Ronnie

#14 ·
Magnaflow streets

Ronnie, I know! I was dumbfounded, too, as I bought them based on your many endorsements that I had been following for a couple of years; took a bath on getting rid of them, too! They absolutely were "streets" drop-shipped directly from Magnaflow. My Mustang is an '11 auto convertible and I think that the gearing of the auto 3.7 had a lot to do with it. It was unbearable! My previous Mustang was a '10 GT which had Borla Tourings and I loved them, but as we know, there's no comparison of the sound of the v8's to the sixers no matter how we modify them or wish for it to be different. I'm glad that you & Mario have enjoyed the Magnaflows.:thumb:

#13 ·
If you ever go north, I've a complete GT catback, willing to part out.

#15 ·
The thing is that I personally know of seven 3.7 V6 Mustangs that run the Streets and they all sound great with absolutely "NO" inside the car drone.
I do hear my pipes going down the highway and I just get "SOUND" and no drone at all.
I have a video on this post driving my car at highway speed across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and through the tunnels and the only annoyance I got is Tire Noise, My Streets are like music to my old ears.
Sorry yours did not sound good for you.
Ronnie

#17 ·
It's really a new one to me.
Maybe because he has a convertible and hears the tire noise the Pirelli's make or something.
Maybe someone else can chime in that has Streets on a 3.7 V6 that has Drone.
I sure love the way my Streets sound going down the highway as well as cruising into a Cruise-in.
A nice deep old rumble.
Ronnie

#19 ·
No, it's not tire noise; it's loud drone that was intolerable! Like I said before, I had a 4.6 GT w/ Borla Tourings, and loved the amplified sound. My tires, (all season touring) weren't changed on the 3.7 either before or after the Magnaflows, and the previous (GT manual) axlebacks were returned to the 3.7.
I still say it's the combination of the 2.73 axle and the auto's gearing that creates the condition to drone and drone loudly at any speed above 45 mph. :horse3:

#18 ·
Another thought on this... if I find a set of GT mufflers (2.5 inch inlet), is the only way to get the right size inlet (2.25 inch) to cut them off a set of V6 mufflers? Or is there a fitting or part that an exhaust shop might have? I've never seen them off in person, only in pictures, so I'm not sure exactly what it looks like...

#20 ·
I have a 2012 3.7 V6 with and automatic Transmission and 2.73 rear gear.
Sorry yours did not work out for you.
Ronnie

#22 ·
Could just be resonance at certain rpms and not actual drone. However it's just as annoying imo.

#25 ·
drone is resonance....the other thing about it is different folks are annoyed at different levels/frequencies.

gearing will change it. My MT V6 with 3.31 and Bassani's will have a touch around 2k if I'm lugging the motor (up hills) it's a reminder to upshift.

#34 ·
Didn't realize they did things like that in CT. :whistling:

#31 ·
Next time you guys hear it, hit the button on the side of the shifter to lock out 6th if you have one. The sound will go away.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

#32 ·
Not a lockout on the 2014, but when you shift into Sport Shift Mode, it drops down a gear and yes, it does mostly go away. Or it changes significantly, anyway.

#33 ·
What does Drone sound like?

Put your palms against your ears and Hum.
:cheers:

#36 ·
Well, my stang is a 2014 v6 with the Roush exhaust backs that I put on along with a K&N CAI based on great reviews from Amazon. The only annoying thing was the vibration at certain low rpms that make my glove compartment and cup holder door rattle. However, I then added the BBK 73mm throttle body and BAMA race tune and it actually quieted down a lot, which I found disappointing because I like a louder sound. The next mod was my JBA shorty headers, and my tone changed again, bringing back the sound that I missed ;o).
So, if I can just find away to get rid of the rattle/vibrations from the glove box door and the cup holder door, I'll be a very very happy camper ;o).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.