Another axle-back thread... with a twist. Back to stock? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Another axle-back thread... with a twist. Back to stock?

Just bought a 2014 that the previous owner put Roush axle-backs on. Lots of fun for now, but for me, the novelty will probably wear off soon... plus my wife HATES them and we commute together. So what are my options for stock-type exhaust? Will GT exhaust fit, or are the pipes a larger diameter? Will all years 11-14 fit? From looking at pics online, I can tell that '05-'10 and '15-'16 won't work...

Hoping to find some take-offs on Craigslist or eBay...

--rick
parkrndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
gt are bigger i believe, the pipes themselves anyway. but you may be able to put gt Axlebacks on. all years 11 to 14 will fit. borla touring are nice. I've got them on mine. I had ataks, and were too loud after a year for me, so I'm trying to sell them and got touring. they're nice. not as loud but still more growly than stock. expensive though.
Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter,
Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you want a stock like sound, save yourself a lot of money and buy some stock manual mufflers.
Sell the Roush and put that cash towards other mods like a tuner and really wake up the car, especially if its an auto.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #4

Region: New York
I've been thru this, too

I'm a 3.7 convertible owner who wished for better sound from the axle backs; tried Magnaflow streets but the drone was so bad I took them off in a week! Decided on same year GT take-offs from NewTakeOff.com, went to the local muffler shop to have the OEM pipes cut off the 3.7 axlebacks & welded on the GT axlebacks. Resulted in a milder deeper sound that's at least satisfactory if not louder plus the rolled tips on the GT axlebacks look great! And, of course, NO DRONE!
dwlewis14424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
My local ford dealer has pull off exhaust sets for $50 in the parts department.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I too have a 14 Vert. Found some 14 GT take offs on Craigslist for $50. Muffler shop charged $40 to cut OEM v6 close to muffler. Cut neck off GT mufflers welded v6 inlet pipe to GT muffler. Done.
NO DRONE. Agree rolled tips look great. Sold old v6 auto mufflers for $25. So for $65 total I'm very pleased.
Agree also see if you can find some V6 manuals. They will bolt right on & sound good.

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, sounds like two good choices for me... the GT mufflers with V6 inlets welded on or some MT mufflers. Unfortunately I don't have stock V6 mufflers to cut the inlets off... my car came with the Roush ones and I'm not gonna cut them up if I can get $$$ for them. But at least I know which direction to go, and I will be hitting a couple of local Ford dealers to inquire about takeoffs. Thanks all!

--rick
parkrndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have a set of manual mufflers I'd let go for cheap if your interested.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The manual mufflers have better looking tips that the roller gt, imo. I'd go Mt mufflers or gt500 but with the second you'd still need a donor set to get the connector from since they are also 2.5" vs 2.25" on the 3.7.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I have a set of manual mufflers I'd let go for cheap if your interested.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
Thanks! I'm going to try to find a set locally to avoid shipping costs, but if I'm coming up empty, I'll let you know...

--rick
Old 10-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
don't know how far you are from the shore of NJ, but I've got manual mufflers too.
Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter,
Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi dwlewis14424,
Drone from Magnaflow STREETS Duh!!!!!!
I would probably bet you had Magnaflows but they sure were not """STREETS"""
(((Unless a previous owner punched them out or something))))
I would guess you may have had Magnaflow Comps.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you ever go north, I've a complete GT catback, willing to part out.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP, 82mm pulley,JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs, Relo Brackets, Diff Bushing, Ford Racing Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncrp II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket & Safety Loop, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, BlackCat Gauge Face, Boss Lower Fascia, High Flow GT Grill Insert
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #14

Magnaflow streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Hi dwlewis14424,
Ronnie
Ronnie, I know! I was dumbfounded, too, as I bought them based on your many endorsements that I had been following for a couple of years; took a bath on getting rid of them, too! They absolutely were "streets" drop-shipped directly from Magnaflow. My Mustang is an '11 auto convertible and I think that the gearing of the auto 3.7 had a lot to do with it. It was unbearable! My previous Mustang was a '10 GT which had Borla Tourings and I loved them, but as we know, there's no comparison of the sound of the v8's to the sixers no matter how we modify them or wish for it to be different. I'm glad that you & Mario have enjoyed the Magnaflows.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The thing is that I personally know of seven 3.7 V6 Mustangs that run the Streets and they all sound great with absolutely "NO" inside the car drone.
I do hear my pipes going down the highway and I just get "SOUND" and no drone at all.
I have a video on this post driving my car at highway speed across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and through the tunnels and the only annoyance I got is Tire Noise, My Streets are like music to my old ears.
Sorry yours did not sound good for you.
Ronnie
Old 10-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Hi dwlewis14424,
Ronnie
I agree Ronnie. This is the first time I have ever heard of someone complaining about 'drone' from Magnaflow 'Streets'. I'm on about 7 different Mustang Forums
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It's really a new one to me.
Maybe because he has a convertible and hears the tire noise the Pirelli's make or something.
Maybe someone else can chime in that has Streets on a 3.7 V6 that has Drone.
I sure love the way my Streets sound going down the highway as well as cruising into a Cruise-in.
A nice deep old rumble.
Ronnie
Old 10-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Another thought on this... if I find a set of GT mufflers (2.5 inch inlet), is the only way to get the right size inlet (2.25 inch) to cut them off a set of V6 mufflers? Or is there a fitting or part that an exhaust shop might have? I've never seen them off in person, only in pictures, so I'm not sure exactly what it looks like...
Old 10-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
It's really a new one to me.
Maybe because he has a convertible and hears the tire noise the Pirelli's make or something.
Maybe someone else can chime in that has Streets on a 3.7 V6 that has Drone.
I sure love the way my Streets sound going down the highway as well as cruising into a Cruise-in.
A nice deep old rumble.
Ronnie
No, it's not tire noise; it's loud drone that was intolerable! Like I said before, I had a 4.6 GT w/ Borla Tourings, and loved the amplified sound. My tires, (all season touring) weren't changed on the 3.7 either before or after the Magnaflows, and the previous (GT manual) axlebacks were returned to the 3.7.
I still say it's the combination of the 2.73 axle and the auto's gearing that creates the condition to drone and drone loudly at any speed above 45 mph.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I have a 2012 3.7 V6 with and automatic Transmission and 2.73 rear gear.
Sorry yours did not work out for you.
Ronnie
Old 10-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, not sure why the streets would drone so badly if really at all.
Its the first I hear about intolerable drone from streets.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Hmm, not sure why the streets would drone so badly if really at all.
Its the first I hear about intolerable drone from streets.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
Could just be resonance at certain rpms and not actual drone. However it's just as annoying imo.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Another axle-back thread... with a twist. Back to stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Could just be resonance at certain rpms and not actual drone. However it's just as annoying imo.

That's probably what it is. 2012, 3.7, 2.73, auto. I do tend to hear it under load at certain RPMs, more when the top is up. It may be more noticeable with our soft tops vs. hard tops. I ignore it or drop down a gear, but the wife notices it if I don't drop. I never mentioned it to her in the first place, but she says it hurts her ears so I know it exists. She brought it up again yesterday when coming home from a trip with the top up. I had even packed towels around the spare tire in the well and put thin sheets of styrofoam insulation under the carpet in the trunk when I first put them on. Is it a major issue or deal breaker? No. Does it exist in an auto ragtop with stock gears? Yes. Once the warranty runs out I plan to throw 3.55s in the car. That might also help to eliminate it as the car won't lug as much under load.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
That's probably what it is. 2012, 3.7, 2.73, auto. I do tend to hear it under load at certain RPMs, more when the top is up. It may be more noticeable with our soft tops vs. hard tops. I ignore it or drop down a gear, but the wife notices it if I don't drop. I never mentioned it to her in the first place, but she says it hurts her ears so I know it exists. She brought it up again yesterday when coming home from a trip with the top up. I had even packed towels around the spare tire in the well and put thing sheets of styrofoam insulation under the carpet in the trunk when I first put them on. Is it a major issue or deal breaker? No. Does it exist in an auto ragtop with stock gears? Yes. Once the warranty runs out I plan to throw 3.55s in the car. That might also help to eliminate it as the car won't lug as much under load.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Thank you; you are able to describe the situation better than me.
I guess that I don't know the difference between resonance and drone, but it's irritating and definitely not the sound that I think of for a Mustang.
Putting the GT axle-backs back on made the car's exhaust quieter but deeper with more of a "Mustang Sound" although I would prefer a more aggressive "growl" especially at lower street speeds.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
drone is resonance....the other thing about it is different folks are annoyed at different levels/frequencies.

gearing will change it. My MT V6 with 3.31 and Bassani's will have a touch around 2k if I'm lugging the motor (up hills) it's a reminder to upshift.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

a plastic bag filled with towels over her head will solve the issue.....
Old 10-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
drone is resonance....the other thing about it is different folks are annoyed at different levels/frequencies.

gearing will change it. My MT V6 with 3.31 and Bassani's will have a touch around 2k if I'm lugging the motor (up hills) it's a reminder to upshift.
I agree, it really is the same thing.

I think you mean downshift.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #28
Staff

Regular
Staff

d'oh.....
Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's probably what it is. 2012, 3.7, 2.73, auto. I do tend to hear it under load at certain RPMs, more when the top is up. It may be more noticeable with our soft tops vs. hard tops. I ignore it or drop down a gear, but the wife notices it if I don't drop. I never mentioned it to her in the first place, but she says it hurts her ears so I know it exists. She brought it up again yesterday when coming home from a trip with the top up. I had even packed towels around the spare tire in the well and put thin sheets of styrofoam insulation under the carpet in the trunk when I first put them on. Is it a major issue or deal breaker? No. Does it exist in an auto ragtop with stock gears? Yes. Once the warranty runs out I plan to throw 3.55s in the car. That might also help to eliminate it as the car won't lug as much under load.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Wonder if this is what I'm actually hearing in mine... resonance as opposed to drone. I know if i set the cruise control at 70, I hear something loud and constant, and it gets worse as the car opens the throttle to go up a slight hill, and goes away as the throttle closes coasting down the other side...

--rick
Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Just wondering if you ragtop people find it worse with the top up and windows closed?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 10-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Next time you guys hear it, hit the button on the side of the shifter to lock out 6th if you have one. The sound will go away.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 10-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Next time you guys hear it, hit the button on the side of the shifter to lock out 6th if you have one. The sound will go away.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Not a lockout on the 2014, but when you shift into Sport Shift Mode, it drops down a gear and yes, it does mostly go away. Or it changes significantly, anyway.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
What does Drone sound like?

Put your palms against your ears and Hum.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
a plastic bag filled with towels over her head will solve the issue.....

Didn't realize they did things like that in CT.

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've always thought of drone as being a constant thing vs resonance being present only in certain circumstances. Both can be highly annoying.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang