Old school exhaust?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Colorado
Old school exhaust??

I've got a 2012 3.7L convertible with auto trans. I am looking at changing my exhaust from axle back. One thought I had was going from the stock 2.25" to a 3" muffler. Also going to use the old school CherryBomb brand mufflers that I used on several of my cars "back in the day." By that I mean back in the 70's when hot rodding your ride was souping up your lead sled with all the CalCustom stuff you could afford on a high school budget wage of $1.50/hr.
So this being my first Pony any thoughts from you Mustang old-timers?

2012 Race Red Convertible V6
A work in progress.
New bits added as I can!
ajkillgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
The 3 inch is not going to help, and the V6 in this car is so much different than the old school motors.
Then you have extra drone and rasp, neither one go well with my old ears.
I have short tube BBK headers on mine with 1 of the mellowest axle backs that to me sounds great, but everybody has different goals.

2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Be very careful messing with the back pressure on our V6's. You will lose power with too much or too little back pressure
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Pennsylvania
I just went with a set of Borla S-Types AB. They were a little on the pricey side but I like the sound. I have a 14' 3.7 conv. Don't expect to duplicate the 5.0 sound and you will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2014 V6 Convertible Ruby Red Tint, Borla S-Types
papivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Be very careful messing with the back pressure on our V6's. You will lose power with too much or too little back pressure
Just to be clear, exhaust back pressure is never a good thing. Increasing the diameter of an exhaust beyond a given point will reduce exhaust gas velocity at low RPM and cause a loss of torque, but if that exhaust was previously a restriction at high rpm the exhaust velocity will now increase and cause a gain in horsepower.

The way around this is tuning the vvt to reduce any loss of velocity at low rpms, while reaping the benefits of the improved velocity at higher rpms.

Torque is a derivative of velocity, and HP is a derivative of torque.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang