Mustang Evolution Forum banner

steering wheel conversion

2K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  kyle0916 
#1 ·
has anyone upgraded their base steering wheel to a leather/premium wheel? have all the connectors lined up correctly even though on the base wheel the cruise control are split and on the newer wheels the cruise control is only on the left?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
It's very easy and cruise control will work no problem. Your audio buttons won't work until you get your ACM programmed at a Ford dealer but it'll still look great and keep cruise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#4 ·
There are two connectors, one for each side. When you plug in the new wheel it automatically detects the buttons. Cruise control will work with no problem. There a ton of videos on YouTube if you need a visual.

#6 ·
Yes it will. I had the exact same wheel. It will have 2 plugs underneath the wheel, one on each side. They plug directly into the new wheel buttons no problem. The audio will not work until you get it programmed by a Ford dealership but the Cruise Control will work no problem. I did this upgrade in May and haven't had a single issue.

#8 ·
You will either need a VIN of a Boss 302 of the same year, since they have the steering wheel without sync or the ACM Build code.

Here is the code:

727-01-01 0044 908B 64F3
727-21-02 0435
727-02-01 2E5F
727-03-01 1466
727-04-01 0033
727-05-01 0007 2F57 5B1C
727-05-02 765B 572F 0793
727-06-01 000A 3335 5C03
727-06-02 645C 3533 0A68
727-07-01 000A 3335 5C04
727-07-02 645C 3533 0A69

There is a post on here about the process and instructions. Try searching on here or google and you'll find more information explaining it all.

#10 ·
No it does not. All of that information is stored in the Audio Control Module (ACM) that is located in your radio. If you try flashing the ACM with code from a Mustang that does have Sync, when you don't, things will not work. If you flash it with the Boss 302 Mustang the only difference between that and the base models is the steering wheel.

If you are nervous about flashing the ACM you can buy a Shaker 500 Radio off eBay for around $50 and it will make the controls work, but the AUX will no longer work unless you flash the radio.

#11 ·
So I put the new wheel in, looks right everything is lit up on it. Only problem is the cruise control buttons are all mixed up in the way they work. Is it possible for the harness to be in backwards or does it only fit one way?

#12 ·
You could have the connectors crossed. Right connector in left buttons. Also not sure if the navigation buttons work or not. I just have the premium wheel.

#14 ·
You should have 2. One for each side. Even the base wheel has 2 connectors, one for each side.

#15 ·
Was I suppose to cut and soder any wires for that? I just connected the harness. The controls work but they're just in a weird order. Ex. My Set + button lowers my speed while the resume button raises it

#18 ·
I'm not sure if this is it but it could be because the left buttons are the navigation buttons. I attached my conversion with buttons so you can see the difference. The buttons are $40 on ebay for one side.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.