Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Improving the mt82

9K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 ·
In my '14 v6 mt82, I currently did 3 supporting mods. I added the blowfish v3 shifter bracket, bg syncro shift ii fluid, and added the steeda transmisson mount insert.

I considered adding a short shifter, but from what I read it doesn't necessarily improve the performance and accuracy of the mt82. Just the feel and the shorter throws - which I feel like the factory shifter is short enough.

I am trying to do all of the supporting mods to the mt82 to make it perform as best that it can. Is there anything else I can add to my combo?

Any advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
Add the steel braided clutch line. A lot of the problems arent just the transmission, they're more the weak slave system and pressure plate that cant handle the rpms these motors like. Its less of a problem on the v6, but more of a problem on the 5.0 spinning to 8k.

#4 ·
Like i mentioned, a lot of the weakness is in the stock slave system and pressure plate. If your pressure plate is not fully disengaging, your synchros will start to experience accelerated rates of wear. The steel braided clutch line helps to ensure the pressure plate fully disengages when you press the clutch - same principle as steel braided brake lines.

#5 ·
Now that you've mounted the shifter directly to the transmission by using the Blowfish bracket, the stiffer transmission mount is unnecessary and will just cause increased NVH.

Having said that, changing the shifter itself would be logical next improvement step.

#7 ·
I believe, at least with MGW, that the precision and feel is much better. It's construction is much more robust and the guides for the shift rod hold it in alignment much more firmly.

#8 ·
I had a barton that i was very happy with, but i still missed shifts with it from time to time. It does very much improve the feel, but i wouldnt say it improves the precision. I would still recommend it, i just dont want you to be under the impression it will do something that i dont think it does. The money just didnt make sense to me at the time, but if i could do it all over again i would have probably gotten the MGW.

#13 ·
Thank you for the honest opinion of the barton.
I am curious, how the barton + blowfish would compare to the mgw race spec.

what are your complaints about it?

for mine fluid removed some notchy, motor mount greatly improved blocked shifts (good bit more NVH), line I couldn't tell but like the theory, the MGW I didn't like at first but after getting used to it and trying a friends OEM I love it. this is on my 2012.
Id say the biggest complain would be that with regular driving it is still somewhat notchy, especially going into 2nd gear. With the blowfish, I have not been locked out of gear yet.

#9 ·
what are your complaints about it?

for mine fluid removed some notchy, motor mount greatly improved blocked shifts (good bit more NVH), line I couldn't tell but like the theory, the MGW I didn't like at first but after getting used to it and trying a friends OEM I love it. this is on my 2012.

#10 ·
Best way to improve the MT82 is to swap it for a T56 :D But for real, I have the compact race spec MGW and it helps a lot. It's weird, but cruising around town or in traffic still has a slightly notch feel (although still improved), but under hard acceleration it shifts like butter which is what it's really intended for.

I didn't notice a big difference from a fluid change. I still need to install my braided clutch line and the Steeda clutch pedal spring.

#14 ·
Is there any point in swapping the transmission filter as well as replacing fluid? I'm only at about 33k so I'm not due for it but figured I could kill two birds and have them toss in royal purple for the refill and not have to do it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#15 ·
The MGW is the best thing you can do. replaces all you have and definitely add the steel clutch line. It Helps too. Other than that the best MT-82 mod I did was to swap in a T-56 magnum! lol

#16 ·
the notchy seems to be normal.......I used Redline MTL and it is now decent. It still is fussy and likes the clutch fully depressed. Mine would get blocked sometimes going into 2nd esp if I was pushing hard. I believe it was the motor/trans moving compared to the shifter combined with the tight gates. If your issue is the notchy leave it be unless you decide to go with the upgraded clutch line.

.02 worth

if you replace the line: DO NOT DROP THE CLIP!!!!!

#19 ·
when I bought my braided line it was to increase the ID of the oem line.....note the push was from the seller so I took it with a grain of salt. Evidently the oem lines are restricted where the fittings are in the hose.

note I didn't notice any change when I did mine but I like the idea of it as a preventive measure. Cheap and somewhat easy to replace except for the 100+ clutch pedal pumps to bleed air

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.