Mustang Evolution Forum banner

A Bad WEEK.....

3K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  NewMtang 
#1 ·
Computer problems that have kept me out of my email since Wednesday.

Thursday afternoon, had town car towed for electrical problem.

Thursday evening, I hit a five gallon container of asphalt sealer, the pictures tell the rest of the tail. No damage to the driver.

Sunday laying in bed watching football, threw covers back to get up. Cell phone got flipped in the air and landed right in my cat's water bowl. Completely submerged. Took it out and dried the water from the outside. Took out the battery and placed it in a bowl of uncooked rice. I will try it tomorrow afternoon.

Monday, heard from the adjuster. Kind of hinting that it might be difficult to remove all of the tar from hidden corners. I suggested that the body shop take it to a shop that has a lift and a power washer. Fill it with something that will remove the tar and get into the small areas.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Two lane road.

#9 ·
not exactly the same but when my 2 month old new p/up was stolen and the interior of the bed got all scratched up I tried to get that painted, the insurance co refused but did give me some $ for what I think they called appearance. I think if you can get them to clean all the upper bits and maybe waive the deductible you'll have as good as you can get. Trying to get all that sealer off the under carriage will be a nightmare.

non-helpful bits below:

1 free undercoating!

2. if you ain't happy with how they clean it I bet sealer is flammable.....

#10 ·
WHAT A MESS!

Went to look at the damage today. What a Mess! The biggest thing is trying to find something and a way to remove all of this crap. I did confirm that is was Asphalt Sealant. I went to the accident spot and found another can of paint, bright yellow.

The insurance adjuster listed 6 hours for removing the sealant. No way is that even close. I believe he thinks that this can be put on a lift and will be easily removed.

The tires and rims on the front are covered completely. They will have to be removed to clean the front end up. I think that the undercoating will have to be done again.

Well it could have been worse.

I'll post an update in a couple of days.

Thanks to all who have commented! :thumb:

#18 ·
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately the phone dried out ok. About time I get a break!

#14 ·
Sorry I haven't updated in awhile, more crap just keeps piling up. If goo gone takes off the clearcoat, it will have to be replaced. Geico insurance has been real helpful. Called Sherwin Williams, as that was stamped on the can. The asphalt sealant is a solvent based product. The customer service rep I called on Tuesday afternoon, didn't have a clue. Sherwin Williams didn't have anything that would clean it off. I was recommended a product from a company called Citristrip. I called the body shop and told them about the product. Messaged back, it will remove the sealer and the undercoating and the clear coat and paint. Think I'll pass on this.

Since we got 3 inches of snow and now are in the -1-15 below with the wind chill factor. So the car will not be drivable for awhile.

#16 ·
Asphalt Sealer Remover...

Thanks for the response. The real problem is going to find something that will remove all the sealer from underneath the car.

:banghead:

#17 ·
that is what I imagined......it is a rough/textured/non-sealed surface. Gut feeling there is no realistic way to remove it other that some solvent like gasoline which most pro's will not work with (see my earlier post item #2). You can try spraying it with De-natured alcohol that may work but I don't know.

not even sure that's a good idea

#20 ·

Lacquer Thinner got the body but still not sure what to use on the underbody.

#22 ·

No, but it was used sparingly.

#23 ·
Kano Floway and Prep-All both are degreasers that are paint-safe and can prob get the sealant off.

#24 ·
---------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks for the suggestion. My car is in Indianapolis at a place called Jimi Buffets Auto Detailing.

#27 ·
UPDATE:

Got a call from the insurance adjuster. Most of it is coming off. The body shop is using a different chemicals to remove the asphalt sealer along with a steam cleaner. Going slow because they have to let the cleaners time to soak, making it easier to remove. Car is supposed to be ready next week. Told the adjuster to take their time, can't and wont drive my car with all the snow and ice on the roads.

#28 ·
Still Patiently waiting on car to get finished.....

When down to pick up may car, it wasn't ready. It was sitting in the garage up on jack stands.....Tomorrow will be eight weeks. Thank god it's winter and the car would be garaged this time. :shrug:

#30 ·
Can't tell. There was no one at the shop. I could only see the outside of the car. It looked good but the underside might be a different matter. :banghead:

#32 ·
I will post the entire bill.:thumb:

#33 ·
FINALLY got my car back. Still have to get it under the lift. Cost so far, $3,800. The adjuster sent it to a detailer, only problem was that this guy didn't have a lift, so he jacket it up and put jack stands under the car. He spent 26+ hours with a bunch of chemicals. So Tuesday I will go back to my auto shop and look at what is still on the underbody.

I think that I end up taking some money for diminished value.

I HOPE NO ONE EVER HAS TO GO THROUGH THIS SH*T THAT I HAVE!

#34 ·
i knew that was gonna be a nasty job......+1 on trying for a diminished value but it is one of those things that while it will look bad I don't THINK it will have any real harm and as long as it's only visible from underneath (it will become less obvious with time even though I think it's a nice day toy) I would prefer that rather than having what I call real body work.

thx for update

#36 ·
Fianally I have the Total Bill.....

$3,700 and some change. Nothing for Diminished Value.

SO EVERYONE CHECK YOUR INSURANCE POLICY, TO SEE IF YOU DO OR DON'T HAVE IT.

Short of taking the engine and sandblasting every little nich, the detailer worked on the car 26 hours, before he threw in the towel, He did remove the exhaust system and cleaned it up really good.
Three things:

1) The car didn't have much damage. The shield that covers up the oil pan had to be replaced, the Roush grill was replaced and the lower spoiler(?) was replaced. A little paint.

2) I wasn't hurt.

3) It wasn't damaged in the summer, so whether it sit in my garage or the detailer's shop.

THANKS TO EVERY ONE THAT POSTED COMMENTS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.