Bad battery or more? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Bad battery or more?

Hey guys so I'm the last month I have drained my battery twice. Once I left the parking lights on and another time I was working on installing fogs and had the car on but not running for a while which drained the battery too. Now I recently wired some fogs so I'm unsure if it's just battery or more. So here's the issue, I bet to start my car this morning and it wouldn't start didn't check voltage but when I plugged charger in and went to charge it was at 14 when I tried to crank the engine didn't start. Now I let it cool for a bit and it did start but very weak. Got to a gas station after driving about ten minutes battery still said it was at 14 but weak start if I had let the car sit for more than the30 seconds I did it wouldn't have started. Got to school still said 14 volts but when I turned car off to see if it would start it didn't and now voltage is reading 9.5 volts after cranking it about three times.does this sound like more of a battery issue or wiring. I recently installed fogs and tapped the grounds behind the battery so don't know if it's that. Although car had worked fine after charging it after the second time it ran. It has been cold if that does anything to battery don't know. What do you guys think battery or wiring?
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
normally if it's reading 14 v (with a meter) and it's tough starting it'll be a bad connection. Batteries do not like temp extremes but I assume someone from FL's description of cold don't count. They also don't like being drained..how old is the battery?
Old 11-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Probably since the car was new since it's still the original so 2 and a half years. It's at 14 volts after getting it running but when turned off it sharply drops after trying to crank car two times with it it's down to almost 10 volts. I noticed while driving earlier just putting the windows up got it down below 12 volts. I'm thinking battery is weak because it seems that it wants to hold charge but it's taking a lot of effort to get the car started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Drive it down to your local auto parts store. Pop the hood and let them do a load test to see if everything is working right. They will do this for 'free' of charge.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm just putting in a new battery after school since it won't start without a jump since it's dead right now. Then if it turns out to be battery I'll try and fight with ford since the battery is still under warranty. I'll probably lose that fight but then I'll go to oreillys since they are more lenient and will probably just replace it
Old 11-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Bad battery or more?

A friend changed their battery, & they don't show error codes until the 2007 models, but their problem was the air filter needed replacing,
& they had to disconnect the battery & let it reset,
& no problems now:
Quote:
One thing I noticed that is different from my '07 V6 is that the digital display does not display the actual codes. I had to take the car to O'Reilly to check the code. It read P601B - Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance. I used Youtube and Google to diagnose that. I cleaned the air filter (SR high flow reusable). It was really dirty. It had been a while since I did that. Then I put it back in and drove for a while. The light stayed on. But, then I disconnected the battery for five minutes and it reset the light. No more issues.

If I had to, I was going to buy MAF sensor cleaner. But, I did not need to.

I hope this helps someone else.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Mines a 14 so it should show code and I'm almost sure it has to be either battery or wiring based on what I have seen today. First of all when I went to the car after class it started right up still a weak start but it started and I drove home. Honestly ive been so busy though I haven't been able to check the connections at the battery will definitely do that tomorrow. Also since its a 14 with the lcd in the dash I checked out the little systems section and it says the charging system is ok. Also the horn is really weak and I feel like the headlights are too so i'm thinking it has to be battery. Anyways i'm going to check the battery tomorrow and if I need to change it out. At least I have it pinpointed down to either battery or a ground I tapped when I did the fog light install.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:17 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
how long did you run it/charge it?

still thinking it's battery, they don't like being discharged
Old 11-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah seemed to just be battery put new one in and everything is working great. With the old ones the lights were dim and horn when locking car was sounding weak. Now everything seems to be back to normal.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #10

Bad battery or more?

Might as well just give your car to me & get a bus pass. Save yourself the hassle & money.
You don't even have to thank me. 🙂👍
Old 11-24-2016, 04:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I would but turns out it was just the battery.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:41 AM   #12

SONOVABEE!!
Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

battery light

Hi im new here i have a 2006 mustang pony package 4.0 the battery light comes on stays on a min shuts off does this constanley
had it checked they said battery and altinator check out ok at times its putting out 16.5 amps its a 135 amp altinator im at a loss they say they need to check it when the light is on but i never no when that will be im trying to find out if its just a false light and weather the alt is charging or not with light on or not
ebradlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang