Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Was it a good idea to get rid of the v6 (if its true)

No more v6 for 2018

4K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  oxfordwhite 
#1 ·
Not sure how many of you have seen this but...
We Hear: 2018 Ford Mustang Axes V-6 Engine Option - Motor Trend
Let me know what yall think. I know its a rumor but it would suck if there is no more 3.7, especially considering the little development that is being done to get parts for our 3.7 cars. Other than that tho it seems like there will be lots of new options that will make the mustang even better. On the other hand tho it will also probably make mustangs more expensive considering an ecoboost costs slightly more than a v6. Maybe not the best move for Ford considering a lot of people go for the v6 due to the cost which last time I checked was lower than a v6 Camaro or challenger not sure anymore but pretty sure it was.

#3 ·
The 5.0 will be next. I'm sure we'll see the EcoBoost 2.7 v6 offered for the Mustang in a few years. :)

#13 ·
I noticed the mods you have listed for your stang - specifically the BBK long tube headers and catted mid x pipe. I am thinking of doing the same to my 2013 V6 but am concerned of passing Colorado emission. Do you have to get emission tests based on where you live? If so, I assumed you passed with no issues?

#14 ·
You will not Pass Visual with the Long Tubes and removing a Cat and replacing it with anything other than an OEM replacement in the OEM location is illegal.
Do Short tubes, BBK I do believe are 50 state legal now.

#23 ·
My thoughts exactly. I was thinking about getting a new Mustang in 2018... but if there isn't a V6 option, the choice is simple for me. I just don't care for turbo 4's - nothing against them, just my preference. Looks like I will have to dig deep and get a V8.

However, if said V8 has cylinder deactivation, THAT will be the first thing to go. :banghead:

#18 ·
I haven't heard anything about a 4.8L V8

#19 ·
There are quite a few rumors about this so called 4.8l V8.
The one I like is that Ford is talking to the UAW in Canada about contracts for 2 new engine plants to be up and running by 2020.
My guess would be that one of these plants could be making the 4.8l V8 and that could mean the 5.0l as we know it will vanish in 2020 and be replaced.
I also believe that the development of the is 4.8l motor is being aimed at the F150 and would replace the 5.0l...I would assume this would replace the Mustang GT motor...or maybe not.

#22 ·
There are quite a few rumors about this so called 4.8l V8.

The one I like is that Ford is talking to the UAW in Canada about contracts for 2 new engine plants to be up and running by 2020.

My guess would be that one of these plants could be making the 4.8l V8 and that could mean the 5.0l as we know it will vanish in 2020 and be replaced.

I also believe that the development of the is 4.8l motor is being aimed at the F150 and would replace the 5.0l...I would assume this would replace the Mustang GT motor...or maybe not.

Sounds like you're right all-around

#21 ·
Since the Mustang is a world car now, the taxes in some countries may be driving some changes. England for example taxes cars based upon the engine size. So a 4.8 L engine would pay less tax than a 5.0 - and they can probably get the same power out of it.

And with the 3.7 L V6 compared to the 2.3L 4 with the same amount of power no reason to keep the 6.

#31 ·
Putting your dedication to your 3.7 V6 aside...Ford has another engine that gets the same (and even more HP) then this V6, with better mileage. From their standpoint, it makes good business sense to drop the manufacturing of one engine. Saves money, and helps them meet the ever tightening fleet MPG requirement the government imposes.

Yep, I liked my 3.7 V6 Mustang, but from a business standpoint, I understand Ford's reasoning for dropping it.

There will be plenty of used 3.7 V6 Mustangs available for purchase for a long time for those that wish to continue to own one.

#32 ·
I hope Ford offers the V6 2.7 EcoBoost in the Mustang. Maybe with 350 horsepower. They are people running low 13's with just a tune in their 2.7 EcoBoost Ford Edge, pretty good in my book for a 4,000+LBS vehicle :)

#35 ·
Will the V6 forum die as well?

That is one of my concerns as well. I hope we'll continue to keep the V6 forum alive for a long time.:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.