Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Single or twin jmp turbo?

13K views 54 replies 10 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 ·
I have a convertible so I will not be heading to the track. 1500.00 price difference at JMP, really not sure I want to spend the money on the twin. Please those who have HAD turbo's only! Comments appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#37 · (Edited)
You better! :whistling:

Personally, I vote single turbo for outright performance. The VG30 and 2JZ were good with stock twin turbos, but they become monsters with a good single turbo setup.

I'll be going Procharger primarily because I want to get it done quickly and easily so I can start my restomod project.

#7 ·
I understand the faster spool time with the twin...I guess since I'm really not going to the track it's hard to justify the extra 1500.00! Just to have a turbo...for the sleeper factor is intriguing. It's getting there in miles too! 50,000 so I'm not sure I want to push it to hard.

#18 · (Edited)
Well, that's true on the surface, but if you want to have a little more fun with the conversation, its really not all that simple. I don't mean to sound like i'm calling you out BTW, just using this as an opportunity to chime in is all.

So really spool comes down to a lot of things, but we'll break them down and look at them individually, starting with the turbo anatomy. So really the single greatest thing affecting spool on the turbo is the turbine A/R, or basically the size of the turbine housing. A larger A/R will take longer to fill, since it is a larger volume, and will spool slower but will flow more at the top end as the engine starts to breathe. The alternative is a small A/R which fills quickly, and spools quickly, but hits a choke point as the engine starts flowing more air. Most stock turbo cars are fitted with very tiny A/Rs, because people don't want to feel any sense of lag, and this is why they almost always have no top end power.

So, how does that relate to twins Vs single? In a nutshell, as long as you don't hit the surge limit, you realistically could put a smaller A/R on a single turbo and have it spool quickly. I've seen ridiculous things on small engine VW and Hondas, like a .48 A/R 3582 lol. This is what a certain company that used to try to sell kits here did if you guys remember their dynos. The car was making significantly more torque than HP, which shows you the A/R is slightly undersized for the application. Sometimes that's what you want, but it just depends.

On the flip side, you could have a slightly larger A/R on a set of smaller twins, and just use the small characteristics of the turbo for spool and the larger A/R for better top end flow.

So now lets talk about the engine as it relates to singles and twins. A 3.7L motor is basically two banks of 1.85L. When you look at the turbos that spool relatively well on 1.8-2.0L motors, they're really topped out around 300-350 whp. Now, its not as simple as just saying twins on a 3.7 will top out around 600-700, but we can see that even with small turbos there really isn't a worry of flow, as even tiny turbos can still break the stock motor.

So now with the single, 3.7L is enough to spool a single 700-800 hp turbo with ease, so which is better? For me personally, i think less is more. Playing with VVT advance and timing ****** (i'll elaborate more on that if anyone cares) you can spool massive turbos very quickly, so i would prefer simplicity. A v6 is also naturally a "Flat plane crank," as the exhaust pulses are spaced evenly between the two banks, so if the headers are designed in as equal length as possible you have a very clean delivery of exhaust gas to the turbo. You don't have to worry about sizing too small of an A/R on a large turbo to get it to spool, and you wouldn't have to deal with the added complexity of twins just for the sake of response. At the end of the day, you would just hope whatever company you buy from used some science and did their homework :rolleyes: some of you will get that joke.

We could probably go more in depth with this discussion, but my personal opinion is that this motor is perfectly capable of spooling a single turbo that will make great power. Obviously the discussion of twins vs single will never be settled, because there is no right answer, that is just simply my opinion on the matter.

#19 ·
There are a few other things that you should look for like the flow design of a Kit and tuning will probably be the most important thing.

Find out what you want to do with the car first and then plan it out with whoever will be making the set up. They're all pretty much made to order at this point so it shouldn't be a problem with whoever you pick.

I didn't really have a set purpose for my car. Just wanted a fun daily and JMP did their magic on it. I know they're currently making 2 other kits. 1 is being made to break records and high numbers. The other is being made to instantly spool with smaller turbos. He also made a single turbo set up for someone but I'm not sure on numbers for that one

Ig: 3.7_THOR

2011 3.7 mustang

#22 ·
Yeah, not that great a mechanic. Going to just buy the kit. But I do have a friend who is a great mechanic ...lol!!!! I just hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare. JMP shot me a pretty good deal. If I can just get over the queasy feeling, it's still a lot of money.

#24 ·
Been weighing all my options and I'm now caught between four turbo/super chargers

1. Procharger
2. JMP twin turbo
3. Tidalwave Supercharger
4. Ecoboost conversion

Right now leaning toward tidalwave. It still researching. Tidalwave and Procharger I won't have to have any custom exhaust work done and can keep my BBK shorty headers.

JMP and ecoboost both require exhaust work and tapping into oil/coolant and more down time.

I like the JMP and if not for the exhaust work I'd probably have that at the top still.

#30 ·
No, just that a supercharger is easier. You can break a belt, but that's easy enough to recover from. You can have a bypass issue and not run enough boost, but that's not really a problem. There really isnt much that can go "catastrophically" wrong with a supercharger.

Turbos can still be an easy setup, but they are certainly more involved than a supercharger, and there are things that can go wrong and take a motor out.

#29 ·
i went turbo because im more familiar with turbo setups plus i want to put ecoboost badges on my stang and troll lol it really comes down to budgets and time if your doing your build over the course of months like me then the ecoboost conversion was the easiest on the wallet and i can modify and change parts however i want. honesty i paid for my kit by doing odd jobs here and there and buying parts one at a time because i was able to spread the cost overtime i was able to put my kit together over about 3-4 months also i like modding my car so the build is half the fun, i will say this if you can't afford a ready made kit ecoboosting is a fun affordable option.:dance::dance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.