Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Driveshaft On The Way

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Josh_101 
#1 ·
Well I finally bought an aluminum driveshaft.
Next will be the Clutch and Flywheel to get rid of the Dual Mass Flywheel, my biggest complaint on mine has always been the deceleration vibration :banghead:

#2 ·
Great! I have an Axle Exchange driveshaft too. The first things I noticed was it was quieter and smoother than the factory one :)

#3 ·
+1 on the Axle Exchange Driveshaft.

My stock driveshaft would start vibrating at a certain speed, with the vibration increasing from annoying to very concerning as the speed increased to the limiter. No more vibration problems with the AE unit, plus no more concern about having the stock driveshaft fail.

I don't like the DM flywheel either; but I'm going to wait until either the flywheel or clutch fails before I replace it...

#6 ·
The DSS has the adapter that goes between the the shaft and the rear axle flange, that is the only reason. 1 more place for a possible vibration to come up.

#7 ·
The Axle Exchange driveshaft is 4 inches in diameter. There was an "internet myth" that said, if you lower your Mustang a 4 inch driveshaft would rub and you should buy a 3 1/2 inch diameter driveshaft. I'm lowered (1 inch front, 1.5 inches in the rear) and run the Axle Exchange driveshaft and also have a driveshaft safety loop, nothing rubs :)

#21 · (Edited)
When I installed an MGW Race Spec shifter, the factory drive shaft would scrape against the bottom of it over moderate suspension compression. This was when my car had previously installed Roush springs only, installed by the previous owner. I've since gone with even lower H&R super sport springs, koni yellows, BMR lower and upper adjustable control arms and it doesn't rub anymore.

I made a thread about it on here or another site, seemed like no one ever encountered this with the MGW, but it was installed right. The ways it's made, you can't possibly mess up the install. The GT guys wouldn't have any rubbing issues with the MGW because the front half of their 2 piece shafts are in a fixed position.

#9 ·
I have a 13' with a 4 inch DSS Aluminum shafts and I'm lowered 1.2 inches all around with no rubbing. Much smoother running car. No issues at 145.

#14 ·
On mine there is so much clearance I didn't worry about it hitting anything on the body. I did go over some speed humps at a good speed and nothing hit. My fear was if there was enough clearance for the driveshaft safety loop when the suspension was fully lifted by the body and hanging down freely. It clears the bottom of the Loop by 1/2 inch :)

#12 ·
A ruler? Tape measure? Calipers? Just check the distance between the top of the shaft and the transmission tunnel.
As far as checking the clearance when on the bump stops, just get under the car with the axle loaded (to simulate ride height) and measure the clearance just like above, and compare that to how much room you have before the body of the car contacts the rear bump stops.

#15 ·
Kinda makes me curious about Air Lift... I lay mine out at times so that's a bit lower than your average lowered car lol. Granted I wouldn't have to worry about rotation cause it's not moving then but being aluminum I'd hate to dent it.

My drive height is very low too... ground to center of wheel well is 26 1/2"

So would the 3 1/2" be a better option if I ever go that route or would the 4" work?

#16 ·
...my biggest complaint on mine has always been the deceleration vibration...
That was also my biggest gripe. It had gotten to having vibrations at any speed above 70mph, accelerating or decelerating.

I bought the Axle Exchange unit and installed it. Much to my chagrin, the vibration remained. My tires were the original now-6-year-old Pirellis. I replaced them thinking that may be the problem. Nope, still there. I guess it could be the pinion bearing.

Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.