Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1/4 mile gains?

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  2011 Kona Blue 
#1 ·
Looking to add shorty headers, 3.73 gears, 1 piece driveshaft and a set of lower control arms during the Winter months. I also have new wheels and tires which may hurt more than help since I'm going from 17" 215's to 20" 255 & 295 in the back. Right now I have a JLT CAI, 73mm throttle body and MPT tune. Is it reasonable to anticipate picking up .8-1.0 in the quarter mile? That's what I'm reading for similar mods. It's an automatic 2013. Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Wheel Auto part

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#2 ·
It'd be at the top end of what's possible, but i dont think its totally outrageous. The stock auto shifts SOOOOOO lazy ... hell, even with a tune the stock torque converter is so soft it's not hard to outshift it in a manual. The gears and tune on the auto are pretty big gains. Do some before and after testing and keep us posted.

#3 ·
Compared from 100% factory stock, I think you could hope for .8-1.0 off your 1/4 mile times with the mods you are doing. In my opinion adding the shorty headers, gears and tires you might take .4-.6 tenths off of your current 1/4 mile times. I know 1 tenth doesn't sound like much but I read somewhere that at around 100 mph I tenth of a second is 15 feet. :)

#6 ·
There is a big difference between the 5.0 and 3.7. My wife's old auto 3.7 the 3.73s alone were worth over half a second, the tune was another .2.

The 5.0s dont benefit from a gear change on the stock converter, but they also have a much better final drive stock. The 3.7 needs a gear change to do anything.
Agreed.

3.15s in a V8 are much more capable than 2.73s in a V6.

#12 ·
I would argue that the shorties will make a big (relative) difference because they will help you get out of the hole. little gains in the first half lead to big gains in the back half, so it's almost a wash... if a shorty helps you get going faster, vs a long tube pulling you through on the back half... IDK, i dont care enough one way or the other, these are just my thoughts on the matter.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies everybody. Apparently my notifications aren't working for the app. I know that overall the longtubes generally see more gains, but my car is really lacking out of the hole. On just about any car I've gone up against so far, they are beating me off the line by a lot and I'm running them back down in the top end. I'm hoping to have everything bought this winter and installed by Spring. My best time in the 1/4 was a slow 14.1, so I should blow that out of the water. And anything under 14 requires a helmet. Better pick up one of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.