Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Cold start

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  David Young 
#1 ·
So now it is cold outside, I have to ask the question. Is it better to start your car and let it warm up on its own or to get in and drive and let it warm up that way? I've heard both ways.

2012 Kona Blue MCA Cyclone
AIRAID CAI
4.10 gears
Ford Racing Axle Backs
'Unknown Tune'

#2 ·
At the VERY least, you should let your car finish it's "cold start cycle," which is basically where the revs are higher for a second when you first turn the car on. Once they drop you're ok to get going. Realistically, the purpose of that cold start is a cat warm up for the sake of emissions, but it doesnt exactly hurt to let your oil and fluids get up to spec either.

Speaking of which, what oil are you running? Oil isnt really at operating temperature until like 100c or 212f. If you just turn your car on and start driving and its 30-40-50 outside, its going to take a while for the oil to heat up, so its not hard to imagine that's not doing your motor any favors.
I really dont see any argument for just getting in the car and going? I'm willing to keep an open mind, but i just dont see how that can be beneficial. The only downside of long periods of idling is you can get some fuel dilution in your oil. That's more of a problem on DI cars though, moreso than PI cars, and as long as you have a standard oil change interval it shouldnt matter anyways.

#6 · (Edited)
Volt,

I don't see much of a difference between "normal driving" and idling. Yes driving may have a bit more wear but it may balance out by warming up faster.

Mud
:shrug::shrug:
Cold start sequence on these cars Is like 30 seconds at best, that's about all I wait. Like I said, once the rpms have dropped from the cold start sequence to idle (they drop in 2-3 stages, I wait until idle rpm) I go. I don't sit there and idle it for several minutes, that's just silly, but I wait a little longer than 5 seconds.

I don't think you're wrong, I don't mean to come across that way, I just like to wait that long so I do. In cars that have a liquid oil cooler like the Boss 302 and 5.0 track pack, the coolant will actually bring the oil up to temp very fast so driving right after you start isn't quite so bad. You'd also be surprised how long it takes without one of those -_- though. At any rate, I doubt the ~25 second difference we're talking really does have any appreciable difference in the long run, which is another reason I asked what oil weight he was running.

Its the same thing as breaking in a new or built motor, you have people swear up and down on both schools of thought: drive it like you stole it as soon as it's running, or baby it for the first ~1,000 miles to seat the rings and all that jazz. Seems to be a lot of smart people on both sides, so who knows.

#4 ·
I totally agree on the cold start cycle but there is a guy who lives across the street from me who is like really into cars and what not. He has rebuilt a few old fiat spiders and has a 2016 Alfa Romeo 4C so he has some experience. He said it's better to just drive your car after the cold start cycle to help it warm up faster rather than letting it idle.

2012 Kona Blue MCA Cyclone
AIRAID CAI
4.10 gears
Ford Racing Axle Backs
'Unknown Tune'

#9 ·
V,

I wasn't insulted...we both know there are opinions and facts. I will say my 3.7 warms up faster than any car I've ever owned. In 20 deg and a detached garage I have heat by the time I hit the bottom of my driveway (long down hill approx 1000' at 10 mph)

J

#10 ·
I always let mine idle until it does the drop down. I have the factory option remote start. When using it, the motor will run for around 5 minutes then it will automatically shut off. This is for, if someone starts it then gets involved with something else and they forget their motor is running several hours later :(. It sure felt good to get into a nice & warm Mustang yesterday morning :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.