Better handling - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Better handling

Hey everyone I was recently driving a 4 cyl Altima down back wood roads and the handling was absolutely great. It was amazing taking turns at basically any speed I wanted and the steering was so much harder yet the suspension floated softly over bumps. Left me wishing my car handled like that. Now I realize the Altima is fwd but is there any way to get a mustang to drive like one of these cars. Not sure how many people have actually driven one so don't know if anyone can relate. Btw the car basically had the same tires as my car 215s except they were 16 inch rims and mine are 17 if that makes a difference.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
Better handling

i will trade you an older (they handle the best) 4-cylinder Altima for your junky old gas-guzzling American heap.
deal?
ok, deal.

VRE outbreaks (wash your hands)
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Yep. Trade in your base model Mustang for an Altima, problem fixed
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016, 05:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
X3. Buy an Altima if you want your car to handle like an Altima.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I've never once heard someone say they wished their mustang handled like an Altima. but x4. buy an Altima.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Buy Altima, buy a set of torches, cut and paste Mustang body on Altima chassis. WALA!
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Just don't try and keep up to my Mustang with your 4 Cylinder Altima in the Mountains around here. Tail of the Dragon and had peaks of 1.19gs to the right and 1.21gs to the left with steady 1.0 g pulls to both sides on STOCK Suspension
BTW Tires, wheels, shocks and struts better sway bars things like that will help your cornering.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well in terms of straight line mustang would destroy it everyday and possibly would win a track race against the 4 cyl but against the 6 with close horsepower i think it would be close. And guys although I'm using an Altima you guys really should get behind the wheel of a new one. Let's not forget that the 2013 and up cars are inspired by the super car series race car Altima. So while it might be funny to compare handling to a foreign (not anymore they are building cars here now) sedan it actually handles extremely well and I think is made to go around a track. Let's not forget Nissan also has the gt-r. If you guys ever get a chance to rent a car or something check it out and you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
That's like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The only difference you're feeling is weight. Assuming base model, the Altima is like 3,100 lbs. That's 400 lbs less than a v6 mustang give or take, so i guess step number 1 is pull 400 lbs out.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Great point voltwings I confirmed what you said and it does weigh less which would probably equate to less weight shifting around meaning less body roll which I think is what I felt. I felt a lot more confident taking the turns at speed because my car would have had a lot more body roll. Not only that but the Altima is also lower so lowering springs I think may also help. But thanks voltwing now I'm one step closer to knowing how to make the car handle better which was the point of the thread. Also does anybody know if the premium rims are supposed to come from factory with the 215 tires it seems a little small considering that's what the base cars get and I would have assumed the premium rims would have come with something like 235 and not 215 Michelin energy savers.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyredv6 View Post
Hey everyone I was recently driving a 4 cyl Altima down back wood roads and the handling was absolutely great. It was amazing taking turns at basically any speed I wanted and the steering was so much harder yet the suspension floated softly over bumps. Left me wishing my car handled like that. Now I realize the Altima is fwd but is there any way to get a mustang to drive like one of these cars. Not sure how many people have actually driven one so don't know if anyone can relate. Btw the car basically had the same tires as my car 215s except they were 16 inch rims and mine are 17 if that makes a difference.
Ba ha ha

Sent from a non car enthusiast V6 mustang owner's cell phone.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

^^ Yeah I know. RubyRed, It doesn't take much to improve the handling on your horse. Just getting rid of those pizza cutter tires will make a huge improvement. A panhard bar, some shocks and struts and you wont believe it's the same car.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great point voltwings I confirmed what you said and it does weigh less which would probably equate to less weight shifting around meaning less body roll which I think is what I felt. I felt a lot more confident taking the turns at speed because my car would have had a lot more body roll. Not only that but the Altima is also lower so lowering springs I think may also help. But thanks voltwing now I'm one step closer to knowing how to make the car handle better which was the point of the thread. Also does anybody know if the premium rims are supposed to come from factory with the 215 tires it seems a little small considering that's what the base cars get and I would have assumed the premium rims would have come with something like 235 and not 215 Michelin energy savers.

Premiums came with 8 inch wide 18 inch wheels with 235/50-18 tires. If you go through the trouble of buying new wheels, go with 8 1/2 inch wide aftermarket wheels. This is so you can run 255 wide tires. I'm running 255 (255/45-18) tires on my 8 inch wheels and I can feel 'tire roll' when I do hard turns. The tires are a little too wide for a 8 inch wheel, I will be going back the factory 235 tires when the 255's wear out.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:21 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Realistically, for handling, a 255 should go on a 9 or 9.5" wheel. You want tread width to equal rim width, or be 1/2" narrower. A 255 is right about 9" wide.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Realistically, for handling, a 255 should go on a 9 or 9.5" wheel. You want tread width to equal rim width, or be 1/2" narrower. A 255 is right about 9" wide.
Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't a 255 fit okay on a 8.5 inch wheel

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my 2012 perf pack came with 255 on a 8.5. For my two lane blacktop the handling is fine. Note: these are NOT track speeds just hooning speed
Old 12-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Yeah. 255 fits 8.5

I'm running 255/35R20 on my 20x8.5
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
That's like comparing apples to oranges.
More like apples and Carrots

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
my 2012 perf pack came with 255 on a 8.5. For my two lane blacktop the handling is fine. Note: these are NOT track speeds just hooning speed
Same as my 13, now I have 275/40 19 on a 9 inch wheel. I have also done a steady 1g on a skid pad with the setup I have now.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Yes, it will fit. Like i said though, my comment is in regards to handling. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
Same as my 13, now I have 275/40 19 on a 9 inch wheel. I have also done a steady 1g on a skid pad with the setup I have now.
For best handling a 275 goes on a 10" or even 10.5" rim lol. The slight... and i hate to use this word, "stretch" stabilizes the sidewall and makes for better turn in and response.

Take this tire in 275/35/19 for example:

Bridgestone*Potenza RE050A

You'll see the tread width is 10.2". Kinda falls in a goofy spot. If you round up it could do well on a 10.5" rim, but if you round down it could go on a 9.5" rim. Just depends on how much sidewall preload / contact patch you're interested in.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thx everyone for the advice i think I'll just do some suspension mods and see if I can get better handling. So I see that David mentioned that the premium rims were 18. My car is definetly the premium since it has the leather my color and the display in the dash. Anybody else have the 17s or were my rims just possibly swapped before I bought the car.

http://media.automanager.com/wmphoto...4a5c00_640.jpg

I got this pic off google that's what my rims look like.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thx everyone for the advice i think I'll just do some suspension mods and see if I can get better handling. So I see that David mentioned that the premium rims were 18. My car is definetly the premium since it has the leather my color and the display in the dash. Anybody else have the 17s or were my rims just possibly swapped before I bought the car.

The 18's came on a Pony Package or Mustang Club of America Package only, the premium came with a better looking 17 inch wheel.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Our car is a 14 premium and it came stock with the same wheels I see you have in your profile also 17's and 215's. We went with 18X9 with 255/45's and it made a huge difference in handling. Next thing we did was an adjustable panhard bar to get the rear end centered under the car. Small change but noticeable. Next will be shocks and struts.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:00 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

OK. I have the Premium Package and the Pony Package and I get what came with what mixed up . The 8 inch wide 18 wheels come on the Pony Package
Old 12-26-2016, 04:56 AM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

suspension was my fav upgrade...not cheap but worth it.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Well getting back in the Altima I can tell the suspension really isn't a super great suspension don't get me wrong it's still great but I feel that it's me that needs to change my driving and I've been trying to get the mustang suspension down I have learned how to drive the car better I just have to learn the limits of the car and improve from there
Old 12-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Since we're on this rim and tire talk I noticed a lot of you have run 18's can I know why you guys chose to do that. Personally when I was first looking for tires and rims I wanted 20s with 305 tires of course now I'm a bit more performance oriented and am looking to get 19's with 275 in the rear and 255 in the front. I know 18's will be wider but I like the look of 19's. Just wanted y'alls thoughts on why you went with 18's and what you guys think about the handling I would get with the setup I mentioned I wanted to get for my car.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Since we're on this rim and tire talk I noticed a lot of you have run 18's can I know why you guys chose to do that. Personally when I was first looking for tires and rims I wanted 20s with 305 tires of course now I'm a bit more performance oriented and am looking to get 19's with 275 in the rear and 255 in the front. I know 18's will be wider but I like the look of 19's. Just wanted y'alls thoughts on why you went with 18's and what you guys think about the handling I would get with the setup I mentioned I wanted to get for my car.
Search on the American Muscle web site for tire-wheel combos
Old 12-27-2016, 05:24 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
18s are cheaper (tires) and lighter is what it comes down to. Also, dont get a staggered set up, for handling, you want square. Get the 18 x 10 SVE drifts from LMR front and rear.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-1007FD/2005...VE-Drift-18X10
Old 12-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
18s are cheaper (tires) and lighter is what it comes down to. Also, dont get a staggered set up, for handling, you want square. Get the 18 x 10 SVE drifts from LMR front and rear.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-1007FD/2005...VE-Drift-18X10
Could you run a 20X10 on the front? Of a lowered stang?

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
19X9 Wheels with 275/40 on all 4
Old 12-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
Could you run a 20X10 on the front? Of a lowered stang?

That will depend on a lot of things, but i will answer with as much information as i can. I cannot however, simply say "yes," or "no."

1. Height. Keep in mind that an 18" rim and a 20" rim will (can) take up the same amount of vertical space depending on what tire you put on there. For example, i usually ran 27" tires, so that would be like a 285/40/18 OR a 255/35/20. Both tires are 27" tall, so that will need to be taken into account when factoring fender clearance for example. It will also, of course, depend on how much you are lowered.

2. Width. As you can see, there will be a very big horizontal distance between a 285 and a 255. For this reason, some people may say, a 20" will fit on the front, and some may not, it just depends on how wide. As far as 20 x 10, that goes one step further, because it will depend on what specific tire you are running. Some tires run wide, some run narrow... It will also depend on what tread width you are going with when considering the sidewall; will it have a slight stretch, will it be squared... That will come into play when factoring strut and fender clearance as well.

3. It will depend on the offset and back spacing of the particular rim as far as clearing the fender, the strut, the wheel well... This will also depend heavily on your alignment. So will it fit? I have no idea, but can it fit? More than likely, again, with the appropriate alignment, offset, etc... Unfortunately i don't have that information for you, because i have always been a bit function > form myself, so i ran the 18 x 10s with only a 1" drop. Contrary to popular belief, slamming a car does not make it handle better.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #34
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I really like the Mustang on 255/40/19s.

Handles waaaaay better than the 215/65/17s, plus the overall diameter is almost an inch shorter. So in effect it changed gear ratio favorably.

Instagram: workshardplayshard
Old 12-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I really like the Mustang on 255/40/19s.

Handles waaaaay better than the 215/65/17s, plus the overall diameter is almost an inch shorter. So in effect it changed gear ratio favorably.

Instagram: workshardplayshard
Is the 215/65/17s stock tires? If yes dang what is ford thinking. The car will never grip with that kind of tire.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang