Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller

19K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  suprastang 
#1 ·
Any of you ever used the Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller, and if so what was your experience (good/bad/indifferent)? Is it worth the close to $300 price tag at AM.

#2 ·
I'm also interested in any review on this mod :popcorn:

#3 ·
I was curious about the pedal commander myself. I bought the JMS equivalent. I can say this, noticeable response from my car after installing it. Being a stock engine w/3.31's, it now breaks loose and gets that pre-pounce cat butt wiggle before launch. It was a great investment.

#5 ·
I would like to see blind testing on this product.....I know folks like it but wonder how much it is affected by the placebo effect. I want it measured with something other than a butt dyno.
Same here. If it does work, I'd be interested to see if it positively affects heel-toe downshifting. I know I have a hard time trying to get the revs up whenever heel-toeing.

#6 ·
#13 · (Edited)
My apologies to Mud and any others. The above quote is what I was referring to. I was not peeved by anything else. It's this kneejerk response that I see in forums that gets on my nerves, and my own kneejerk response didn't help matters either. My apologies again.

Person 1 asks about Item A. Person 2 makes a completely unfounded statement about Item A and immediately tells them "just go with Item B". They didn't ask about B. It's like the classic "Sell your *insert motor here* car and buy a bigger motor car" statement in my eyes. Useless and does nothing to further the discussion on the original topic.

I still mean it, Mud you are more than welcome to drive my car and do a blind test (no sarcasm intended).

#7 ·
A tune can give you any response you want, but you would have to have multiple tunes to have multiple throttle responses. I think $300 is too high, but until someone makes a cheaper alternative, that is what the market will pay. It doesn't add horsepower, but that doesn't mean it is worthless.

#8 ·
Did you check YouTube for reviews? Looks like a decent investment if it does exactly what you're looking for. While I agree with the tune investment, usually if the tune requires a CAI, it will void your warranty. Easily enough to go back to stock I guess if you have to. A tune will do much more than throttle response as well.

#9 ·
I should mention that I drive an automatic. Since I have little to no control over what gear I'm in, the lag is more noticeable.

Mud, you're more than welcome to drive my car. I'll control the knob and won't tell you what it's on.

That being said, if you think it's "snake oil", then prove it or shut your mouth and don't buy it. These useless "BLAH BLAH BLAH SUCKS BUT I HAVE NO PROOF" comments just detract from actual discussion.

#11 · (Edited)
How does the simple statement of:
I did like the "cat butt wiggle"

get translated to:
if you think it's "snake oil", then prove it or shut your mouth and don't buy it. These useless "BLAH BLAH BLAH SUCKS BUT I HAVE NO PROOF" ?

Confused by Mugeismo's post on this. I see all the posts as a simple question of "does this really work", and not any slander or insult to the topic.

#12 ·
Same here, I thought a friendly discussion was underway until I read that "shut your mouth" statement. I hope we can get this tread back on track.
Thanks Bucko!

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Exactly. No one SHOULD expect a true performance gain from this. No HP/TQ changes are made by installing this. I think that needs to be stressed. I bought mine simply because I hate electronic throttle bodies and drive by wire. Drive by wire killed a lot of the joy in the 350Z/370Z for me. This product gives you similar response time to a traditional throttle cable.

#19 · (Edited)
My question about the unit is what can it Really do? The throttle pedal is connected to a potentiometer which can only be read by the ECU as a analog value. So what values does the thing send to improve throttle response? A full throttle signal at half depression? Half throttle when the pedal is just touched? Someone should hook one up to a meter and see.

#20 ·
With an electronic throttle body, the percentage you push the pedal is not a 1:1 relationship (or at least, more than likely is not) with the percentage the TB opens.

This basically hijacks the TPS voltage and manipulates it to a different value on the applied pedal position table. Basically if the car associated 10% throttle pedal applied with .5 volts, with this installed the computer would instead see .7 volts and the computer would tink you're actually pushing the pedal down 15%, 20%... Its a piggyback.

#21 ·
I wave machines that you need to calibrate voltage on to give max psi. Is there something like that in this ie a "pedal calibration" where you mat the throttle and hit set and the computer goes OK whatever I'm seeing is max throttle? If so could you just press the throttle to 80% then hit set and trick the computer that way?

just thinking out loud...

#23 ·
Does this widget just change the slope of the response curve (which I assume is linear--but maybe not) or does it produce a nonlinear response (for more butt dyno feel initially)?

If it's the former, won't the car simply reach full throttle with less pedal travel?

#25 ·
Thanks, Volt--very informative. My suspicion was that it would cause one to reach WOT at less pedal travel, with a plateau effect (e.g. from 80% pedal travel/position onwards in your second picture).

A little bit of a gimmick, but potentially a useful one for the sluggishness one might feel for the majority of everyday driving.

Not sure if it's worth $300, though.

#27 ·
PEDAL COMMANDER

I just got the pedal commander pc-18 for my 2014 mustang V6 Auto and I wanted to give a review.
There is so much throttle delay in the stock vehicle...and with this device, its virtually gone! My pony takes off like a bat outta hell. When I need a quick boost...it's there!
This add-on has 4 modes to play with and multiple settings(levels) within each mode. I haven't used the highest setting yet since what I felt somewhere in the mid-range was more than enough for me.
It sure is fun. The long throttle delay is history. The thing to watch out for is the tranny temp gauge. I noticed the temp climb from 180 to well over 200 within half a minute. The accelerator responds much quicker now.
For anyone interested in buying this, have fun but use it wisely and cautiously.
I'm told it won't void your warranty but since it's a plug and play-I'd remove it prior to service or tuck it out of sight so as not to arouse suspicions.
D'OH

#28 · (Edited)
I just ordered the Pedal commander for my 2016 GT Automatic. i want to see how it works with the Paddle shifter. I should have mine in the mail sometimes next week. i will give my feedback then, but i wanna say thanks to the positive reviews on this forum for this is the reason i got this one. The Mustang GT Auto for sure has some Noticeable throttle Delay. so i'm hoping this will improve everything...my vehicle is completely stock with the exception of a K&N Drop in filter

#30 · (Edited)
i actually got it and i absolutely love it...i am in no need of a Tune now and it doesn't void Warranty....My GT is totally Fun now and the throttle response and the different settings to play with makes it an interesting and enjoyable car to drive now. There was quite a bit of Throttle Delay and the Pedal Commander really impressed me...No bad reviews..All the Vids on YT are nothing but positive and fun feedback...IT's a simple way to get that instant throttle response that a tune would do but a tune Voids Warranty unless you get the Ford Power pak tune and have a ford dealership install...Good thing about the Pedal Commander is it's only $299 and you can get a discount. i paid $265 and i'm totally happy with it...No regrets and it's for sure worth it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwthEBBUQy0

#31 ·
I bought this for $83 during the Black Friday sale on AM and it works! I drive my car year round so I need the ability to change the reponse on the fly. I can change the throttle response from my phone in less than a minute and that includes getting my phone out, opening the app, connecting to the controller, making the change(s) and then putting my phone away. You can change it at a stop sign or light, or even while driving (don’t use your phone while driving ? ). Unlike a tune on this you can pick from 36 different throttle responses.

I have mine tucked away where you can’t see it but can still get to it if needed. I tried Sport +2 first and it was WAY too responsive. Less than half throttle was full throttle. I then tried Sport -2 and it was still too responsive. I finally landed on City with no modification and it feels great.

It does NOT add hp but unleashes the power you already have in a more powerful way. It does “feel” like it adds a good bit of hp though. I’m satisfied with it. Especially at the price I got it at.

#32 ·
While I heard the pedal commander works, not many of us have $300 lying around. I installed the maxx boost throttle controller on my 2018 Mustang. It was half the cost of pedal commander, does not add HP but drastically improves throttle response as well as being MUCH simpler to use than pedal commander. It is from the USA, while pedal commander is made in Turkey! It is also MUCH more cost effective than a tune. https://www.sawyertuning.com/?s=accelerator

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.