Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Quieting straight pipes :(

13K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  rubyredv6 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so I went ahead and got straight pipes, horrible idea. They are way too loud, at idle it sounds great but on acceleration it's too loud for me. Now my options are putting back the stock mufflers (does anyone have any in central Florida they wanna sell) or trying to get it to quiet down. Does anybody know if the thrush glass packs from autozone will quiet it down. Basically it is the same setup as the pypes and I can cut the pipe and clamp on a muffler or something similar. But what's my best option to quiet it down and not mess up the pipes cuz if I can I want to try and sell them. I'm sure someone will like them they're just too loud for me.

#4 ·
Buy a quality muffler. Cheap mufflers are basically just hollow with little to no packing and can almost make it worse. Vibrant ultra quiet resonators are supposed to be very nice, but i have only ever used their regular resonator myself. It may take some combination of resonators and / or mufflers, and by the time you've spent all that money and had it welded in, you probably could just buy an actual cat back and be done with it.

The MBRT one is supposed to be a little more on the subtle side. Granted, if that's still too loud, then you still have to spend the money on resonators... at least you have a nice catback at that point though.

#5 ·
You're right I cheaped out and didn't get a quality system and just did straight pipes. While the muffler deletes sound great and tons of people have them installed on their cars as well as I have gotten compliments from people on the tone it gave the v6 it's just way too loud for me maybe due to the fact that I have never had a car this loud. It's something I know I could get used to but it's just not for me right now. Anyways will just resonators quiet the straight pipes I'm not looking for much maybe a 1/4 reducement in sound.

#6 ·
Buy a quality muffler. Cheap mufflers are basically just hollow with little to no packing and can almost make it worse. Vibrant ultra quiet resonators are supposed to be very nice, but i have only ever used their regular resonator myself. It may take some combination of resonators and / or mufflers, and by the time you've spent all that money and had it welded in, you probably could just buy an actual cat back and be done with it.

The MBRT one is supposed to be a little more on the subtle side. Granted, if that's still too loud, then you still have to spend the money on resonators... at least you have a nice catback at that point though.
You're right I cheaped out and didn't get a quality system and just did straight pipes. While the muffler deletes sound great and tons of people have them installed on their cars as well as I have gotten compliments from people on the tone it gave the v6 it's just way too loud for me maybe due to the fact that I have never had a car this loud. It's something I know I could get used to but it's just not for me right now. Anyways will just resonators quiet the straight pipes I'm not looking for much maybe a 1/4 reducement in sound.
I think you missed the context of my response.

#8 ·
Glasspacks are simply a baffle wrapped in some fiberglass mat. After a short period of time, the mat burns away, and you're left with basically a straight pipe again.

As others have stated, get a decent set of mufflers to quiet things down.

#9 ·
The Pypes sound like crap, in my opinion. Buy a quality axle back muffler from Magnaflow or Borla. You have to pay if you want to play :)

#10 ·
Listen to these fellow stang owners and myself, a fellow dumbass, that decided to get an H-Pipe with no cats and crappy Trident Motorsports axleback or the MAC axleback systems.

I even had 22" glasspacks installed. Over a grand in exhaust parts/labor = horrible honda civic sounding mustang with a fart cannon....just because I wanted to be "different"...theres a reason why Borla and Magnaflows are pricey but worth it.

#18 ·
People really need to specify which Magnaflow. There is a huge difference between Streets and Comps. I see so many people say Magnaflow and leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#13 ·
Sorry for not replying and thanks to everyone for all the advice. I finally got the right set up for the car. I went ahead and bought the perfect mufflers for 50 bucks right off Craigslists. These are nice and just the perfect tone for the car. They are 2012 mustang factory mufflers from a manual transmission car (I think). These babies are quiet im guessing they might get a bit louder after a while since the car they are from got them removed at very low miles. Basically I'm happy now and probably won't do any exhaust work to the car. All around it's fine just the way it is. If I need more noise I'll turn up the shaker system. I learned my lesson always listen to an exhaust first hand. Not that the straight pipes were horrible but they made my ears pop and i couldn't hear the radio over them although they sounded sweet in parking garages decelerating or anytime they were over 3000 rpm at wot. Just too loud though.

#14 ·
Can anyone verify a part number for me I just wanted to see if these mufflers are in fact the manual transmission ones. F1-8427-L I know what the L means lol but the rest I've looked all over and nothing that says for sure whether they are auto or manual. Not that it would matter to me but just want to know what's on the car.

#23 ·
Don't get the Magnaflow Competition (maybe they changed the name to 'Race' Axle backs) I have them and they are just $500 straight pipes with the Magnaflow tips :(. Way too loud for me. I run them for a week or two in the Summer. I also have a pair of Magnaflow Street Series (maybe called 'Streets' now) that are my 'main' axle backs :)

#31 ·
So you went from straight pipe to factory mufflers ? :eek:

At least you didn't have to sink a lot of money in it :thumb:

#28 ·
These used mufflers sound like the holiday fruitcake; that too makes its rounds from owner to owner.

Just like a set of Roush axlebacks....

#32 ·
update since I hadn't come to this thread in a while. It was all actually a good move for me. I sold the straight pipes about a week ago for more money than it had cost me to get them made. The manual transmission mufflers have gotten deeper and are noticeably louder than my autos. I'm guessing they will keep getting louder as I put more and more miles on them. So for 50 bucks I got better mufflers and I got rid of the ugly tips from the automatics. Plus when I went to the junkyard to get hangers that the exhaust shop removed I found some brand new boots with all the brand new stickers on them which retail for 150 so I count that as a win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.